PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

stinkdink is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi and divx

Last night I attempted to stream over my wifi network a 700mb Divx file. I tried both Windows Media Player and Divx Mobile Player with the same results. I would think that with either 802.11b or g we should be able to do this without any type of hesitation during playback. When I play the file the audio skips and the video update is behind. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so I can guarantee that my connection quality isn't the problem.

Has anyone else tried this or is having this problem? Are there any tweaks that we can do for our wifi adapters?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

pickthecrowdup is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to pickthecrowdup
Re: Wifi and divx

Nope. But I have used Orb. The new Winamp uses Orb as it's remote player also. Kinoma has an orb function as well. Works pretty good with a good connection.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

I've tried playing TV shows through WMP and it's been terrible. I then found TCPMP Phenom; while a bit ugly, it plays every video file fine - I believe it uses hardware acceleration more effectively or something, but that's besides the point. The only two issues I have with it are the ugly interface, which apparently can be skinned, and that video playback stops if you rotate the phone into landscape. You could easily turn the rotation off or use something like RotationService to block it from rotating, I think.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Automaton is keeping up the good workAutomaton is keeping up the good work

The easiest thing to try might be increasing the buffer size on your media player and/or trying other ones such as core player.

You may want to try messing with some of the TPC/IP stack settings such as increasing the receive window size to larger multiples of 1024.

MTU is also an important setting, but must be determined by pinging the remote machine with different size packets until you find the largest one that doesn't time out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa924893.aspx

and the link it has to IPv4 registry settings is a good place to start. Just change settings for the wifi adapter when possible, not global settings.

Another work around would be to convert the movie files to a lower resolution.

Wifi b and g aren't designed for speed. They're designed for getting a signal at longer distances from the wifi hot spot. Wifi a and n are the fast ones, but a has the shortest signal reach.

Last edited by Automaton; 09-21-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia