PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910-WM 6.5 Lioryte Base 28230
Carrier: VZ

MrOmnia81 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Mobile 7

When is it coming?????? Anybody have beta copies of it?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Windows Mobile 7

its only in the alpha stages now if anything........

and now that nokia & ms are teamed up who knows when it will be out if it does
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Windows Mobile 7: Fifteen New Details

Posted by Brandon Miniman
August 13th, 2009 at 03:31 PM
We recently got access to some Windows Mobile 7 documentation and provided some early analysis. We've had more time to go through the documentation with a fine-toothed comb, and we have some interesting information to share, plus the screenshot below which shows the general layout of pivoting lists. This is congruent with the leaks of Windows Mobile 7 we saw a long time ago.

We should preface this list by saying that this documentation was highly technical, and some of the following details may make more sense to developers than to end-users. Enjoy =D.

1) SmartSearch is included, which is a system wide search capability. "SmartSearch is a user interface that puts the application into a touch screen-enabled dialing mode and invokes a context-sensitive search based on the Association Engine. Applications can bring SmartSearch to the foreground, selecting which page to display (for example, the Contacts page), and optionally add a contextual data set to the selected page during the Smartsearch session."

2) Camera APIs in Windows Mobile before were very basic. Much like what the iPhone had in version 1. In WM7 it now offers a huge amount of stuff with overlays, video capture, EXIF, etc... So that'll bring developer support to what the iPhone has and maybe even more.

3) The entire OS has been majorly upgraded. This is not Windows Mobile 6 with some interface changes. This is a huge statement in so many ways. Windows Mobile developers have been suck in the late nineties with the APIs available. This finally brings Windows Mobile's core OS up closer to to today.

4) Office Mobile is now upgraded to support SharePoint, better round trip, charts, etc.

5) Multi-touch support is in there.

6) There is no longer a suspend/resume power model. Its always on.

7) Big changes to the SDK. Right now in many ways WM tools are also in the dark ages compared to the iPhone. On the iPhone you can get instruments and CLANG for analyzing my source code - neither of which are even possible on WM today. With this new SDK we get some of that. Very nice.

Smart Card support removed.

9) Association Engine. This is really cool. Imagine that you're looking at a contact. Now you can say "Call this contact" in code and it will just do the right thing. Or "View Call history". But here is the cool part - it's completely extensible. So you can create a verb and association and any app can use it. This will allow extremely powerful applications. in fact, its a lot like Apple Script on the Mac, but only within the apps.

10) The menu system is completely redone.

11) Cron jobs. You can now set task scheduling.

12) Pocket Outlook Object Model (POOM) now supports multiple folders - i.e. right now you only can have one Contacts folder. In WM7 you can have many. Same for calendars, tasks. You can also have multiple data stores.

13) POOM now handles Mail and note items. That seems to indicate that Notes are now a data store and not just files.

14) Menus are totally redone. Again.

15) Built-in XML - finally.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg83 View Post
and now that nokia & ms are teamed up who knows when it will be out if it does
Its only to develop MS Office for Nokia Symbian Devices. It should not impact anything regarding WM7 or Windows Phone or what ever they end up calling it.

WM7 looks like it may finally be what we should have gotten 2 years ago.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

It's going to be for a complete new class of devices, nothing from today will be able to run with it (that's what I heard). But finally, a modern version of WinMo that's long overdue.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

http://www.wm7.net/ some photos if you like.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910-WM 6.5 Lioryte Base 28230
Carrier: VZ
Threadstarter

MrOmnia81 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
It's going to be for a complete new class of devices, nothing from today will be able to run with it (that's what I heard). But finally, a modern version of WinMo that's long overdue.

I was thinking possibly a version of omnia 2 would handle it???
Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
http://www.wm7.net/ some photos if you like.
kinda reminds me of PointUI

Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post

im not to sure about that. there were supposed pics of it and it looked like it was running on a touch pro
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg83 View Post
im not to sure about that. there were supposed pics of it and it looked like it was running on a touch pro
I have no idea whether it's true or not, I just remember reading it somewhere online. And you know what they say about reading stuff on the internet...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia