PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I buy a GPS for a backpacking trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
does basic gps work without cell coverage?
Yes. Google Maps and Bing will not show maps as they need a data connection. Igo 8, Garmin and other stand alone apps will work just fine.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 07-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i910

dna550 is a n00b

I tested Google maps and the internal SCH-i910 GPS walking around last Sunday. it was entirely accurate and you can switch to a satellite view.

Of course, I did have a good radio signal to stay connected to Google and the battery strength was not an issue.

Would I depend on the SCH-i910 and a Verizon Wireless signal in a remote wilderness area?

Not if my life depended on it!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Threadstarter

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

I would never rely on a GPS in a remote wilderness area. I'm a compass / map kind of guy. A GPS is great but I don't believe in putting your life in the hands of an electronic device in the wilderness. I was just thinking how cool it would be to use the Omnia in the wilderness for the coolness factor ("Look what my phone will do!!")
Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola droid, droid eris for a backup

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom27 View Post
I would never rely on a GPS in a remote wilderness area. I'm a compass / map kind of guy. A GPS is great but I don't believe in putting your life in the hands of an electronic device in the wilderness. I was just thinking how cool it would be to use the Omnia in the wilderness for the coolness factor ("Look what my phone will do!!")
It will work, and yes a compass is the way to go but having a real gps that you know will work can help as a back up or on occasions when compass is giving false readings or for a novice. I have never got lost in the wilderness just lost things i went looking for in my younger years. But at the very least get gps program with a blank canvas. It will tell you where you start so no matter where you go you have a strait line reference back to POI. Some have options that allow you to calibrate any map or picture that you want to two reference points on the map. besides Stealing downloads that is about all there is thats free.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia SCH-i910

pinyon is a n00b

I use my Omnia with Memory-Map and have topos for the western united states. There are other solutions and I generally have "real" maps along as well, but I love having the pda mapping. I liked the bigger screen on my old Axim, but not enough to take it instead of the Omnia.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia