PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

DavidNM is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting wifi issues

So I've had my i910 for about a month. Never really had time to get into the wifi settings until this week. And - for the life of me I can't get it to work.

I've tried hooking up different routers to make sure there's not compatibility issues, I've tried doing a number of hard resets to no avail. My signal strength is fine. I can sit at my desk at home and use wifi on my iPod touch and Ipaq 110 just fine - but not the Omnia.

I've tried turning off the phone and bluetooth so just wifi is enabled - no luck.

The phone will show connected - but most of the time with only 1 bar of strength. Sometimes it shows all 4 bars.

When I try to connect to the internet using Opera, IE, Mail - it just won't connect.

I spoke with level one and level two support at Verizon yesterday - when I got to level 2 the dude said that his only concern is the Verizon signal and sent me over to Samsung.

I spoke with level one, level two and level three support at Samsung (for about 3 hours). After doing everything he could the Samsung support person said that if I really liked the Omnia I should hang on to it and wait for a software update in a couple of months that would probably fix the problem. He said he didn't think I had a hardware problem but a software problem.

Now - I've got a lot of experience with technology and IT - this sounds weird. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work
Re: Interesting wifi issues

Might be a stupid question, but does your router use WPA or a MAC filter or anything?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omnia2!
Carrier: verizon

godwhacker is keeping up the good workgodwhacker is keeping up the good work

hmmm, are you still using the stock rom? or have you switched to the cc20? there aren't many of us here that are still on the stock stuff.

maybe try this, from the wi-fi manager turn the phone data connection off, then try turning on your wi-fi. maybe it a stronger signal takes precedence thing.

i am going with the idea you gave the proper wep key to the router to connect the phone.

i just shut off my phone data, and turned on the wifi, and hit the web just fine.

edit: ooops, looks like you tried what i suggested already. look around a bit i remember a post yesterday, i believe about a guy who had to upgrade the firmware on his router to get his phone to work.

Last edited by godwhacker; 06-20-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

DavidNM is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwhacker View Post
hmmm, are you still using the stock rom? or have you switched to the cc20? there aren't many of us here that are still on the stock stuff.

maybe try this, from the wi-fi manager turn the phone data connection off, then try turning on your wi-fi. maybe it a stronger signal takes precedence thing.

i am going with the idea you gave the proper wep key to the router to connect the phone.

i just shut off my phone data, and turned on the wifi, and hit the web just fine.

edit: ooops, looks like you tried what i suggested already. look around a bit i remember a post yesterday, i believe about a guy who had to upgrade the firmware on his router to get his phone to work.
So talk to me about cc20? Is it stable? Is there a dedicated thread you can recommend that won't get me all screwed up? Also - can i go back to stock ROM if I mess up cc20? Thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Lurker

rusl0002 is a n00b

I got my wifi to work properly only if I uncheck the Wi-Fi power-saving mode (under Settings --> Power --> Wi-Fi).
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omnia2!
Carrier: verizon

godwhacker is keeping up the good workgodwhacker is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNM View Post
So talk to me about cc20? Is it stable? Is there a dedicated thread you can recommend that won't get me all screwed up? Also - can i go back to stock ROM if I mess up cc20? Thanks

cc20 is a leaked vzw rom w/ gps unlocked. it is the base of all the cooked roms you will see for the i910.

go to the omnia upgrade threads to learn about it. i did like the turning off the wifi power saver option thing. i would try that before flashing cc20, because there isn't a stock rom hanging around as far as i know.

one thing to try before you start getting all flashy and stuff would be a hard reset to kick out anything you may have put on the phone that may be keeping your wifi from hooking up.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNM View Post
It's actually kinda hard to mess up CC20. Some folks have even tried to brick their phones and couldn't do it. There have been a few cases of bricking on the first flash, however.

You can't go back to a stock VZW ROM. It hasn't been leaked. When the first official VZW update (sked for H109) comes out you should be able to flash to it. H1 ends the end of June.

Go to the Omnia Upgrades subforum for more info.

Ted

Melancholia by Verizon SCH-i910
Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Another Proud Member of FA. Time since last relapse: < One Day (at a Time).

If somebody helped you please click the button in the bottom right corner of their post.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung i900 unlocked
Carrier: iWireless (Iowa Wireless, T-Mobile Affilate)

andybot26 is a n00b

Being new to the Omnia GSM unlocked version, i found that connecting to Wifi and getting my broswer to use it needed some connection settings set along with the screen not turning off because that will shutoff the wifi radio.

going to connection settings, there is a brower connction icon, in there i have it set to uncheck auto, and WAP in the combobox - this is so i can have my wap connection work that needs a proxy

going back to connection settings, the connections icon, in there i have going to advanced tab and then select networks button you cna choose what gets the internet first. I have it set to first box for internet being my WAP settings name, next box to "My Internet"

This may help, other wise i would look at the type of encryption you have in use on the router. From there try connecting just a few minutes after rebooting the router incase there are issuses with the router.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia