PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: VZW

snkeyez95 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Could This Week Be The Week.. Official Firmware Update from VZW??????

If and when this ever comes out, will we be able to upgrade it ourselves? Would hate to give VZW a reason to see that my phone has been flashed.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yes, when they release these they do it online so we can do it ourselves. They offer to do it in the stores, but it is usually with a charge. I think they assume (correctly) that most people savvy enough to own a PPC and know enough to want to upgrade it will do it themselves at home.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

I thought firmware updates were free, and I'd assume they'd want flashes to be done on their in-store computer so they wouldn't start getting thousands of calls from people whose computers had crashed during the update and bricked their phone
The closest VZW store is less than 5 minutes away from me, no big deal, and if you bring your phone to them turned off and tell them to go ahead, they wouldn't even see it was flashed.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

The way they see it, they are providing you a service, and thats not free in their eyes.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work

The update will be on their site, or Samsung's. You can download the stock Apache (XV6700) WM5 ROM from VZW's site, so why not the Omnia's.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I am 99.99% sure it will be available online to download, as far as the charge for them to do it in the store, sometimes you get known in a smaller store or have a real cool rep there, and get away with it for no charge, but usually they will charge for doing things like that(heck they charge for porting phone numbers from phone to phone)....as Adrynalyne mentioned...it is a business, they provide a service that is basically optional to the user (us)(in medical terms it would be like un-necessary surgery), so yes, they would charge us for it.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola droid, droid eris for a backup

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor

When i had my sch i710 forgot the number but it it might be on both sites but it is listed in verizon suport section under your omnia section. Thats wher i was told to look. Sign up for e-mail alerts and you can be sure. Techi told me nothing about gps but sur its in ther but i was told ther is a screen update and fixes to some other bugs. Improve battery and so on.
I thought omnia had a gps and not agps cause i get gps wher i dont get cell service. I got it 20 miles into the cascade moutains in a vally when it was pouring rain on an abandon logging road. Wher topography was the only map i could use.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: VZW

bornl33t is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phullofphil View Post
When i had my sch i710 forgot the number but it it might be on both sites but it is listed in verizon suport section under your omnia section. Thats wher i was told to look. Sign up for e-mail alerts and you can be sure. Techi told me nothing about gps but sur its in ther but i was told ther is a screen update and fixes to some other bugs. Improve battery and so on.
I thought omnia had a gps and not agps cause i get gps wher i dont get cell service. I got it 20 miles into the cascade moutains in a vally when it was pouring rain on an abandon logging road. Wher topography was the only map i could use.

I'm not a good typer either, but what the heck does that say in english?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: verizon(worse than my exwife)

BoBo_ew is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBoBo_ew is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBoBo_ew is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to BoBo_ew

Quote:
Originally Posted by phullofphil View Post
When i had my sch i710 (forgot the number) but it might be on both sites(vzw and samsung) but it is listed(his i710 or whatever) in verizon suport section under your omnia section. Thats where i was told to look(by a rep im assuming). BUT if you Sign up for e-mail alerts , you can be sure(that you will know when a update come out). Techi told me nothing about gps but im sure its in there but i was told there is a screen update and fixes to some other bugs. Improve battery and so on(in the update).
I thought omnia had a gps and not agps cause i get gps wher i dont get cell service(with his I710 and again im assuming. I got it 20 miles into the cascade moutains(very tuff for cell singnals in the mountains) in a valley(which makes it near impossible to have cell signal) when it was pouring rain on an abandon logging road. Where topography was the only map i could use.
is that better? hell im no english major but i understood his post...

Current rush... Bgill55's 6.5 v2.6
Fabi1 police font
FKB2
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Please, for the love of God, use proper punctuation/grammar!
I guess I figured they would want to upgrade your firmware for free to improve your experience, but I see what you're saying, it's VZW; everything they offer comes with a price tag.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia