PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

m0nti13 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with confusion on ROM flash

I'm a little confused with the terminology and procedure to using a new ROM version on the Omnia. I always thought of ROM as hardware (Read Only Memory) and when you flash the ROM you flash an entire image.

From what I can gather from some of the threads in here, you seem to be able to flash sections of the ROM? Is this true? Are these what are refered to as bins (binaries?)?

And then what do you need to update the phone's ROM image? because it looks like you can get into trouble if you just use the updated bin(?). You actually need the complete beta image first? then you can update the individual binaries you want?

I understand when people refer to a new ROM, what they really mean is flashing a ROM image, but is there somehow an idea of a partial ROM flash with a binary?

I'm really confused, can anyone shed some light?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work
Re: Help with confusion on ROM flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nti13 View Post
I'm a little confused with the terminology and procedure to using a new ROM version on the Omnia. I always thought of ROM as hardware (Read Only Memory) and when you flash the ROM you flash an entire image.

From what I can gather from some of the threads in here, you seem to be able to flash sections of the ROM? Is this true? Are these what are refered to as bins (binaries?)?

And then what do you need to update the phone's ROM image? because it looks like you can get into trouble if you just use the updated bin(?). You actually need the complete beta image first? then you can update the individual binaries you want?

I understand when people refer to a new ROM, what they really mean is flashing a ROM image, but is there somehow an idea of a partial ROM flash with a binary?

I'm really confused, can anyone shed some light?
I could be 100% wrong about this but from what I've come to understand, the ROMs that you see with a .img extension change everything. The phone aspects (GPS, etc) and the PDA contents (GUI, Programs, etc). On the other hand, Adrynalyne's ROM is a .bin file because it doesn't tamper with the phone aspects. His just changes the PDA section of it.

I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully Adryn will come in here and correct any mistakes I have made.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

m0nti13 is a n00b

Right... so Am I correct in thinking that the bin files only overwrite specific addresses on the PROM?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work

It seems that the Omnia method of flashing allows flexibility in what is and what is not overwritten.

You need to flash the beta ROM first (includes all of the stuff needed to flash, plus adds GPS) and may need the driver installed from one of your Omnia Verizon CDs.

After flashing that one, you can then flash the partial "PDA" on top of that.

When it says turn the phone OFF, hold down the button til it turns totally off.

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

m0nti13 is a n00b

Thanks for your help...

I think I'm uderstanding it correctly now...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia