PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why does this happen?

When I received texts that are too long (longer than 160 letters) then it cuts them off and says "preceding msg modified, Media objects were removed". I continually have to tell people that I only got half of their message. It doesn't seem to be a problem when I send long texts, just receiving.

Anybody have any ideas?

BTW: This is Verizon I910
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Re: Why does this happen?

Yep. The Omnia does not support EMS. I don't think any PPC does.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

EMS? What is that?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 AM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

EMS is what a message is sent as when it is over 160 characters. It stands for Extended/Enhanced Messaging Service.

1-160 characters: SMS
160+: EMS
Old 03-08-2009, 02:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Just getting started
Carrier: Alltel

drea43 is becoming a great contributor

all text message consist of 160 characters per text. When you are typing a text notice when you get to 161 it says message 2 . when someone is sending you a text on a smartphone ordinarily it will continally type but some phones stop typing and they have to start whole new text to complete the original message Unsure of why it does that. My mom has Verizon and she gets a message that says this text will count as 2 messages Do you want to continue, Yes or No
Old 03-08-2009, 07:32 AM
The Pusher

AFAIK, you can send EMS all day long on a ppc. You just can't receive them properly.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache

sportman is a n00b

so no EMS on omnia either? **** my life i need to stop using WM i guess
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
The Pusher

Blame the network, not the phone.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportman View Post
so no EMS on omnia either? **** my life i need to stop using WM i guess
SMS = SHORT Message Service

By definition a text message longer than 160 characters is no longer short. WM will only accept SMS. By definition.

I used to get spillover EMS with only a few characters in the 2nd message. The carriers had a lot to do with setting this standard up. That 2nd message took up very little bandwidth, but they could charge full message price for it. Or to put it another way, it was a way to bump your message count over your limit.

Some prolific texters only got about half of their intended contract texts before surcharges kicked in. It wasn't only speed texting that led to all the word contractions in SMS. I still remember wiring (sending telegrams).

There might have been an option on my earlier dumb and smart phones (LG mostly) to prohibit sending EMS. And there was an option not to read the 2nd half (I think).

Even today I find myself eying the character count and either editing down to 160 or switching to email. No, I'm not one of those who live for texting. I limit mine to 500/mo. I'm not usually in an environment that necessitates it.

Edit: Sombody's sig said: "Post less, say more". Good sig

Ted

Melancholia by Verizon SCH-i910
Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Another Proud Member of FA. Time since last relapse: < One Day (at a Time).

If somebody helped you please click the button in the bottom right corner of their post.

Last edited by xPosTech; 04-15-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

from what i have read this is more so due to the carriers themselves limiting it as opposed to a software/hardware issue
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia