PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

dmitt25 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Geocaching with an Omnia!

Today was a good day my friends. I found my first geocache with my cooked omnia! Anyone else into this cool hobby? If so, what software are you using? Im not real happy with the software I found on my own..

I have BasicGPS and GCz. I like the way GCz works with geocaching.com but other than that it's pretty worthless. Google maps works ok, but entering coordinates with it is a pita.

BasicGPS isn't working right for some reason, maybe cuz it's made in UK where they use a different lat/lon configuration... dunno yet didn't play with it enough.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Re: Geocaching with an Omnia!

You had me going for a second. I thought you had found a way to get the geocaching function in the built-in camera software working
Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

BasicGPS is written by an English developer - have you dropped him a note? The guy is exceedingly responsive. I use it on my Touch Pro and a DeLorme PN-40. GCz relies upon data to connect to the network to get its information from www.geocaching.com - and its use may be a violation of the user agreement. In addition, it does or when I checked it out, used icons that Geochaching.com consider their property...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: bb storm
Carrier: verizon

theidoctor is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
You had me going for a second. I thought you had found a way to get the geocaching function in the built-in camera software working

that would be geoTAGGING for the camera lol....

i would like to try more geocaching, i have only tried it with my garmin forerunner.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: VZW

bornl33t is becoming a great contributor

You have the best ones. Geocaching on anything less then a standalone GPS is going to come with added challenges. I thought GCz was really good. Add a birds eye view from google maps and you'd be killer!

Last edited by bornl33t; 04-12-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Almost a VIP

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I find the Touch Pro with BasicGPS gets me to the same basic area as the DeLorme PN-40. The DeLorme PN-40 just gets me closer. Thing is though, it really is getting into the area because there is no telling how accurate the device was that the original coordinates came from.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Threadstarter

dmitt25 is a n00b

I gave BasicGPS another shot, and read thru the users manual (who'da thought that would work! lol) and it seems to be quite a bit more useable than GCz. I'll take it out on a test run today and report my results.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Almost a VIP

The downfall I have with BasicGPS is that it currently DOES NOT provide user comments; developer John McPhee states he is including that in his next release. I like the ability to sort by name/distance. For $5 it does a good job.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: at&t

PPC6700Man is just getting started

I just recently got into this with my Sprint Hero. But, someone has a Samsung Intrepid that they want to trade for my Blackberry Tour, and I'm not sure if there are any free geocaching programs/apps that work in pair with GeoCaching.com. I'm using GeoBeagle on my Hero now and it works amazing. Just click on "Google Maps" from the GC page, and it gives me the options to use Google Maps, GeoBeagle, and another selection I can't remember.
www.ppcgeeks.com - PPC6700Man

Car Boards;
www.honda-tech.com - ..::91TEG-G2::..
www.nasioc.com - NM02WRX
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia