PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

vrzsuxppcrocks is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Omina: A Smart phone or PDA?

Well, I'm traying to get an omna and I want to know if omina is a PDA or a smartphone. I do not know, I'm Pretty sure that this will sound dumb to some of you. Which one is it. Also is this phone custumazable?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Re: Omina: A Smart phone or PDA?

I am a customization freak. So, yes.

Its a PDA phone. Or if you will, a PPC, Pocket PC.

Smartphone is used for PPCs, but in reality, a smartphone does not have a touchscreen.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia

Peripatetic Bibliophage is a n00b

It is a PDA. I have a program that would not work on a Smartphone so my wife did a bunch of research on the Omnia. The program works so it is a PDA. One Verizon tech also said it is a PDA/Phone.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

sofladavid is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
.... a smartphone does not have a touchscreen.
Adrenalyn is correct.

The "Smartphone" edition of Windows Mobile has no touchscreen and no "today" screen.

instead of "today items" that can be easily added and removed from the Today screen, Smartphone uses an XML "Home screen" which is not as easily customizable.

Most of the other features are very similar between the Smartphone and PocketPC versions.

I have owned both.

I administer about 250 Motorola Q9c (smartphones) at work, and like the PocketPC more.

(Hence my personal Omnia)
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Actually the Omnia is a smartphone (notice the lower case "s"). It is also known as a PDA Phone. The difference is in the capability of the phone. Non smartphones are generally known as feature phones.

Smartphones (notice the capital "S") are non touch screen phones that are smartphones.

In Microsoft parlance the Smartphone is known as Windows Mobile Standard. The smartphone version is Windows Mobile Professional. If you have a PDA (a non phone device) it is Windows Mobile Classic.

Clear as mud know huh.

This might help also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Veritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

My brain hurts now. Good info though lol
Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

vrzsuxppcrocks is just getting started

Thank you all, I think i might be getting omina or something. You are all right; Omina has pda capabilities and also smart phone features. The phone to me looks like a smart phone, but then a again there is no smart phone that will include such a powerful browser and touch screen. Yet, Glyde from verizon also blackberry storm are smart phones and have pda capabilities ..
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 AM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

The Glyde is a "dumb", aka feature phone.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910 (BW23064)
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Skyline987 is becoming a great contributor

Agreed the Glyde is very dumb and barely usable. Avoid that phone like you would avoid the plague!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 PM
The Pusher

Pity. It had so much potential, imo.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia