PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

NeMisiz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Music Library and files not shown, yet they are still there?

Hello, this is actually my first post in this forum so forgive me if its not the right place or if this issue has already been addressed (ive searched everywhere and could not find though).
I just got my omnia a few weeks back and everything has been running fine until yesterday. I was listening to my music via conduits pocket player all morning until i went to work. Later on while running pocket player the program froze and closed up (which has happened before with no problems). After I reloaded the program my music library was gone. When i use regular file explorer or resco, my music library is there (folders) but the music files are not. I try to view my music library in Total Commander and it gives me error 1392, something about not being able to access the directory. From what i could find, this error is due to corrupt files after uninstalling a program(?). I did install penreader the other day, but immediately uninstalled it because I hated the program, but i dont see how this would single out my music library so im pretty sure this has nothing to do with it. What makes this all the more baffling is that I'm pretty sure the files are still there because when i go to my memory settings the storage card still says i have like 4 GB used, and when i run defragmenter i can see it scanning through all my mp3 files. So why will they not show up in the directory or my library? My guess is that conduits pocket player glitched something out. Can anyone help?

*Oh ya i forgot to mention that I tried to sync another song or two to my device through windows media player just to see if i could get those files to show; however, windows media could no longer recognize the storage card on my omnia (just acted like there were no devices connected).

Last edited by NeMisiz; 03-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NeMisiz is a n00b
Re: Music Library and files not shown, yet they are still there?

Ok, I've done more reading and it seems that this is sometimes a problem when people defrag external hard drives and what-not. It can cause corrupt directories and make them inaccessible (my error 1392). The fix for this is usually chkdsk; however, I cannot do this to the internal storage on the omnia because there is no specified drive path. So can anyone tell me if theres a way to do chkdsk (or similar) with another program or is there a way to route a drive letter to my internal storage? I fear that I may have to do a hard reset and re-sync all my music again....Funny thing is that I've used wizcode defragmenter a few times already with no problems, why would it do this now? Im open to any suggestions.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NeMisiz is a n00b

OK, I have resolved this problem after hours of reading around for anyone who is interested. It seems that wizcon's defragmenter was what caused the problem (even though it didnt do so when i ran it before). I figured this out b/c its the same thing that happens to many external hardrives on PC after they've been defragged. I figured out how to assign a drive letter to the internal storage (i feel salty cause all i had to do was change the usb settings to mass storage, sorry for askin) and ran chkdsk /f. After a soft reset all my files and library subfolders were in place, unharmed. Moral of the story is I'm deleting Wizcon's Defragmenter and I wouldn't advise its use to anyone.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

Why would you need to defrag flash memory anyway? There's very little latency unlike hard drives, so it doesn't really matter if the data is spread out.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

NeMisiz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
Why would you need to defrag flash memory anyway? There's very little latency unlike hard drives, so it doesn't really matter if the data is spread out.
Ya, i really dont know. From what I've read there seems to be a lot of debate about whether pocket pcs need defragmenting or not. I just noticed that my phone was going slower than usual so I figured it wouldnt hurt; however, I dont plan to do that again seeing the circumstances that followed.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia