PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Tiki Dragyn is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New Omnia

I've never really had an issue with the touchscreen typing, unless your looking to write a novel on your phone, they do what they need to do, and just takes a bit a time to acclimate to it.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Lurker
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

x25064 is a n00b

Well, I did it. Boxed it back up, shipped it back out. I am happily reunited with my Voyager, and sending texts out as quick as they come in.

There were alot of quirks I simply could not live with in the Omnia, and the negatives quickly began to outweigh the positives. Its a good phone, just not for me.

Quote:
I've never really had an issue with the touchscreen typing, unless your looking to write a novel on your phone, they do what they need to do, and just takes a bit a time to acclimate to it.
Not always the case my friend. I found when texting at half the speed I would on my qwerty phone, I was watching correct letters being pressed, but wrong letters being displayed, the abc/xt9 button constantly being pressed instead of the "L" key that was clearly depressed, and the main menu popping up when I attemped at the space bar, then accidentally hitting the main menu during its popup lag to be taken out of my message I had just painstakingly typed and back to my inbox, with no message saved. This happened more then once after more then one calibration. Punctuation was a big thing for me -- going through extra menus to find the punctuation needed proved to be an unecessary hassle. Physical keyboards with symbol keys are much more efficient. When you average 60-80 words per min on a qwerty keypad, no touchscreen provides as substitute, ever. Learned that the hard way.

Others things I found obnoxious about this phone were:
-Lack of grouping contacts to be selected in one text message
-Unnecessary keystokes to perform simple tasks
-Lack of drag and drop shortcuts (with the exception of the useless widget bar)
-Godawful battery life
-Tasks not closing when menus/programs were closed resulting in memory degradation
-EVDO connection not disconnecting after browser(s) were closed
-Virtually useless autocorrection for texting, especially when compared to competitor versions such as the iphone
-Certain menus being finger "scrollable" and others not
-Immense lag on keyboard while typing on the internet (forums, myspace, email etc.) no matter the browser used
-Contacts list being non-finger friendly
-The inability to use seperate pictures for portrait and landscape modes, almost always resulting in the tiling of either mode depending on which one was used when picture was initially set as a background.
-Multiple pages received for long text messages from another verizon user. (my voyager is a simple media phone, and it displays unlimited amounts of text from other verizon customers in one message, I would expect an advanced smartphone to do the same)

Theres probably more I can add, but its late and I don't care to think about it now. I'll retain my upgrade and be waiting for the second quarter releases to see if any qwerty smartphones will be released that will be worth it. Personally I've got my eyes on the HTC Touch Pro2. As for pure touchscreens? Never again, not even an iphone. So long Omnia, it was a interesting ride while it lasted.

Last edited by x25064; 03-22-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 AM
The Pusher
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Of those complaints listed, you might want to stay away from any windows mobile based phone. They can all be corrected, if you are willing to tweak.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia