PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Hope for Omnia in PPC Kitchen?

I have seen some of the Omnia apps showing up in the Build OS Kitchen. Is it likely that the Omnia will eventually be flashable through the Kitchen? Is Samsung too different from HTC? Or is the Verizon exclusivity slowing it down?

I am due for a new phone New n 2, looking for the largest screen with the smallest phone possible, don't need a keyboard, want flashlight capability, better speaker, the Omnia is looking and sounding pretty good...

But I GOT TO HAVE that KITCHEN. It is just too awesome to give it up. I am a recovering flash addict, but I want to jump off the wagon again.

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Hope for Omnia in PPC Kitchen?

I can't give any solid promises, but I think the general idea is that a pachaged ROM update is what is being waited on for cooking new ROMs. I am starting to look into it myself, I want to learn. I just spoke with another member that mentioned that in theory a ROM should be able to be cooked from the original on the device.

So far the Omnia meets all your looking for, I would think ROMs are in the future, but I can't promise (the i900's have many custom ROMs, so that is hopeful).

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

am i too much of a geek that the fact we do not have a custom rom now makes me wanna cry?

Phandroid!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Considering how long the device has been out.

Yep.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Yea c'mon guys this is a NEW phone...new as in there hasn't been anything else like it out there yet...and the support and software has to catch up...as well as customs ROMs and stuff like that...when I had my XV6800 I was one of the first people to have it in my market...and all the roms and and things didn't even exist...then sprint users got a GPS rom update from HTC....but nothing for the XV6800...then some folks started making Verizon branded roms...and that took months!!! and the mogul had been out almost a year when Verizon got the xv6800, when I joined this forum the Mogul had been out at least 6 to 8 months with no GPS unlock, and they had just gotten YouTube to work...! so "Patience Daniel San" u must learn walk before run"
Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

ooookkkaayy
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio - Primary (Omnia - 2ndary)

GLOCKMAMA is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to GLOCKMAMA

Okay as a certified HTC addict myself I know where you are coming from. I was patiently awaiting the release of the Touch Hd, as the email HTC sent me promised. They then tried to disclaim that and firmly stated there will not be Touch HD in US ever. Irritated and disappointed I took the leap and got the closest thing I could find. I now have the Omnia i910 with Verizon. Pretty much kicks *** and I haven't had the problem of being slow. But you know that if Verizon can cripple something for more monetary gain they will and have on a couple things. Another site has a free fix for the tethering block and Verizon in cooperation with WinMo has agreed to provide firmware fix for GPS (date unknown though). Other than these so far that's all they screwed with. HTC promises they will come out with something comparable soon and when they do I may be interested, but unfortunatley for them by that time Samsung may have me hooked. We'll see. I would say go for it. With Verizon's Alltel merger hopefully things will start looking up. Because their cell coverage is unbeatable.

I know some may not have this opportunity, but I am a gadget freek and I get what I want, so trial and error is an option for me. If something else better comes out I'll switch again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post
I have seen some of the Omnia apps showing up in the Build OS Kitchen. Is it likely that the Omnia will eventually be flashable through the Kitchen? Is Samsung too different from HTC? Or is the Verizon exclusivity slowing it down?

I am due for a new phone New n 2, looking for the largest screen with the smallest phone possible, don't need a keyboard, want flashlight capability, better speaker, the Omnia is looking and sounding pretty good...

But I GOT TO HAVE that KITCHEN. It is just too awesome to give it up. I am a recovering flash addict, but I want to jump off the wagon again.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

All I know is that I love the Omnia, and any ROM cooking will be worth waiting. I haven't stopped playing with this since I got it, and when GPS is unlocked, I will have more to play with, so the cooking will just be icing on the cake, definitly not a neccesity!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleis View Post
ooookkkaayy
sorry for the rant....lol...I like to flash as much as anyone and coming from the Titan I know how addicting it can be...

changing the splash screen, start up gif, the free tethering, GPS My internet was so fast while tethering, I would go on vacation and wouldn't even bother to connect my laptop to the hotel's Wifi...cuz I had faster then DSL mobile broadband!!!!!

I patiently waiting to unlock the power of my Omnia!!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: vogue/titan/omnia/ sprint touch pro gone vzw
Carrier: vzw

angel12 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I can't give any solid promises, but I think the general idea is that a pachaged ROM update is what is being waited on for cooking new ROMs. I am starting to look into it myself, I want to learn. I just spoke with another member that mentioned that in theory a ROM should be able to be cooked from the original on the device.

So far the Omnia meets all your looking for, I would think ROMs are in the future, but I can't promise (the i900's have many custom ROMs, so that is hopeful).
The two chefs that have an omnia (nex and i) bricked at least 3 omnia's trying to build a rom from the stock rom on the omnia. It wont work at this point in time, and we cant be sure that we will have a working iteration of a kitchen when samsung/ vzw release the gps fix rom, but i hope thats all it takes. IMO it is a problem with the bootloader and not having a proper RUU for the 910 at the moment. We tried using the RUU for the i900 and it did flash, but never really got out of bootloader mode. Shipped/ official release rom should fix this issue for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post

I say go ahead and get it, it is an amazing phone and IMO the best phone in VZW lineup, i just wish it had a hardware keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post

changing the splash screen, start up gif, the free tethering, GPS My internet was so fast while tethering, I would go on vacation and wouldn't even bother to connect my laptop to the hotel's Wifi...cuz I had faster then DSL mobile broadband!!!!!

I patiently waiting to unlock the power of my Omnia!!!!
Free tethering has already been worked out, just install internet sharing. and wmwifi-router if it interests you. GPS will be unlocked with stock update, so that should be all you need right?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia