PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brightness Question... Is my Omnia broke??

I love EVERYTHING about my Omnia... except one thing. It is not very bright. In the sun I can't read ANYTHING on the screen. In the shade I can hardly make out anything at all. The default dialer is easier to read than most things but it still isn't great.

It is easy to read indoors and at night but in a well lit room or outside it is very hard to read.

So...

I went into the backlight settings and I noticed that I have it set to 'auto' like I want it. I put it on manual and slid the bar from max to min and I couldn't see any difference between min or max.

OK, so I remember looking at the reg entry for the screen sensitivity tweak but I don't think I changed anything. I can't imagine anything else I have installed that could cause the problem.

So... is my Omnia broken?? Does anyone else have this problem? Is my brightness 'stuck'???

I'm considering a hard reset but I don't want to do that if it is just the way the Omnia is.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Mogul Omnia
Carrier: Sprint/Verizon

rkidd is just getting started
Re: Brightness Question... Is my Omnia broke??

I too was having that problem i dont think it stuck it seems like it takes a while to react but for me mine was dim and if you just waited for a while and looked at it it lite up then but i did a hard reset not for that problem but i did notice a fix hope i could help.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I'm thinking a hard reset may be the way to go. Sometimes doing a reg tweak for one thing causes other things to go hay-wire. Do you have a lot of apps/tweaks installed?

I would do a complete backup. Then do a hard reset....if the backlight does not work....straight to the VZW store!!!!!! (you can try to restore that one from your backup, but watch-out for the backlight issue...you can follow the next steps for the replacement device as well!!)

If the backlight starts working, try to do a restore. If everything still works as it should, your good to go...if not, do another hard reset and start installing apps from scratch, testing as you go to make sure one of them isn't causing it.

Takes time I know, but it will be worth it in the end when (hopefully) you have a 100% operational Omnia JUST the way you like!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I'm going to try a hard reset and test between each program I install.

I take it that others can see the screen in the sunlight?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Well....being in Syracuse I'm not due to see the actual sun in a few months, but I can see the screen pretty well outside, not the best I'll admit, but it isn't bad at all either.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom27 View Post
I'm going to try a hard reset and test between each program I install.

I take it that others can see the screen in the sunlight?
Hey phantom I'm in Miami (sorry to the peeps up north don't hate me) and its a known issue that the Omnia is hard to see in direct sunlight, or under any kind of direct bright light, I actually looked into buying a "reflective" screen cover but I decided it wasn't that big a deal but I may still try it out...

but definitely do a FULL backup and try a hard reset...

Check this review....it mentions the use in direct sunlight...
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Sams...ew-r_2074.html

Last edited by pdub73; 01-29-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I am a little reluctant to do a hard reset because of all the work involved in reinstalling and resetting up everything. The other reluctance is that I know that Verizon is going to release a ROM update when they unlock GPS and I'll have to do everything over anyway. It should be this half of the year... hopefully

I'm guessing that maybe my Omnia is working ok. I wish there was a way I could compare the brightness to someone else's Omnia. I can't think of anyway without being physically present.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom27 View Post
I am a little reluctant to do a hard reset because of all the work involved in reinstalling and resetting up everything. The other reluctance is that I know that Verizon is going to release a ROM update when they unlock GPS and I'll have to do everything over anyway. It should be this half of the year... hopefully

I'm guessing that maybe my Omnia is working ok. I wish there was a way I could compare the brightness to someone else's Omnia. I can't think of anyway without being physically present.
If you use a backup program like Sbp Backup there is no reinstalling or resetting necessary it will re-do everything exactly how u had it...even if you do a ROM update.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub73 View Post
I actually looked into buying a "reflective" screen cover but I decided it wasn't that big a deal but I may still try it out...
Does this actually work to make the screen brighter? How? ...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Actually I would think clear one would work better than a reflective (wouldn't the sun shine back at you like a mirror?), but you never know!!!

Trust us when we say get SPB (or another, I just know that one works) Backup and do a full backup, it is the best thing you can do. If we have to do a restore on a new ROM in a few months (I'm with ya hoping on that one) SPB advertises the backup files are safe to install on ROM upgrades (we will see on that one).

Basically....pdub knows what he is talking about (good reason to try the reflective screen as well come to think about it!!!).
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia