PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

pppebble88 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory/Dialer Questions

Hello again,

I have a few questions:

--Today, I was trying to figure out how to have two people on the same call. I have disabled the Samsung Dialer (The one that saves 10 MB of memory), but in doing so, so I lose the ability to FLASH calls in a conference mode?

--I have attached a screen shot of my "Remove Programs" menu. I only have about 22 MB of memory left. What can I remove from the screen? I was thinking that i could remove .NET 2.0, but I don't want to screw anything up...I just want to improve my free memory as much as possible.

Thanks a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg programs.jpg (27.5 KB, 21 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700 - Omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

dopepope is becoming a great contributor
Re: Memory/Dialer Questions

I dont have .net 2.0 in my little list, just the 3.5 I would assume if you did the reg edit to force use of 3.5 then it wouldnt matter if you removed 2.0, however if your remove it and it starts to mess up, i guess you could reinstall it.
what is spb watcher?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

pppebble88:
The screenshot you posted have very few apps listed, asking which you can remove really depends on your importance of each. I CAN recommend which ones to install to your My Memory (if you don't already):

PHM Reg Editor
pocketnow
tnyynt SD TuneUP

This picture also shows what I don't care for on this screen...I wish WM would list how much memory each take and WHERE it is installed.

When you say 22MB is that storage or Program memory? Installing in different locations won't really help the Program memory out too much. I don't think there would be any problem in uninstalling 2.0, but quite honestly I don't think it would be worth the time, I don't think that app takes much memory at all, and unless you have a lot more apps you want to install, you have a lot of room left (taking into account the 8GB in My Memory).

One suggestion though....I would populate that list a bit before uninstalling 2.0...inatall a backup app and do a full backup....that way if things go really bad, do a hard reset, restore, and your back where you started....nothing lost but time!!!!

P.S.

dopepope.....Watcher is a little app that keeps Mobile Shell running and on the screen. If you close it by accident, or WM closes it automatically, Watcher kicks it back on. Very useful if you use Shell as your OS (never using the Today screen)!!!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

sryguy,

Thanks for the response...I only have 22MB on my SYSTEM MEMORY, not the "My Storage" memory. With regards to those programs, would you UNINSTALL them and then re-install them back under "My Storage"? Also, with .NET, you don't think it takes up too much memory? I am just trying to clean off as much as possible from my main SYSTEM MEMORY (which only has like 64 MB or something)

Also, what about the dialer? Do you know how to flash calls/conference 2 or more phones on the same call, or is that not possible with the non-samsung dialer app?

As always, thanks a lot.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I just read another poster (in another thread) that did uninstall 2.0 without issue, so you should be fine as well. When I mentioned about the memory, I don't think it takes up a lot, but (if I may ask) are you preparing for more apps, or trimming memory for another reason? I don't use or know too much about the WM dialer, so I really don't know about the conference caller option (I would think there is a way though).

You can just install the apps again, re-directing them to My Memory, but un-installing may be the 'cleaner' way. You may also want to use a Memmaid-type cleaning app to get all the missed folders + entries left behind (may save you a MB or two).
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700 - Omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

dopepope is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I just read another poster (in another thread) that did uninstall 2.0 without issue, so you should be fine as well. When I mentioned about the memory, I don't think it takes up a lot, but (if I may ask) are you preparing for more apps, or trimming memory for another reason? I don't use or know too much about the WM dialer, so I really don't know about the conference caller option (I would think there is a way though).

You can just install the apps again, re-directing them to My Memory, but un-installing may be the 'cleaner' way. You may also want to use a Memmaid-type cleaning app to get all the missed folders + entries left behind (may save you a MB or two).

adrynalyne (sp?) recently said he had issues installing applications after he took out 2.0 but he couldnt remember which. I have had no issues with 3.5 at the moment, so i think your reccomendation of backing everything up THEN uninstalling it, is a good idea, incase you need to do a hard reset.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
VIP Member

I can't recomend backing up any stronger, it has saved my bacon (mmmmmmm.....bacon) many times. I do a backup about twice a month, and right before a major tweak (changing a reg entry is a 'major tweak' in my book) or installation of a system-changing app (Shell, PIM manager....). Of all the apps I purchased, SPB Backup is one of the most invaluable apps I can think of!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

It wasnt really an issue with removing 2.0---as 2.1 is built into the OEM ROM. It was more an issue with certain apps EXPECTING to find 2.1 as the default, and finding 3.5 instead, per the registry hack. .net 2.1 is going to be used regardless, if an app needs it, the registry entry is just setting a default.

That said, I will probably change bck to 3.5 here soon--I am thinking that the errors I was getting was probably just for the first time I ran the app.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:10 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

Thanks for the help...I am having trouble UNINSTALLING the SD TuneUp and then reinstalling it. What is the best way to go about manually deleting the program so no traces are left? Thanks a lot.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

Also, I am still trying to figure out how to do conference calls on this phone....It seems like something a phone of this power should be able to handle, no problem...Any help ANYONE could offer on this would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia