PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

Cmass is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pink camera??

Help! Check your cameras against a white object and let me know what you see.

-----------

One of the major reasons I bought this phone was for the camera. Since I haven't sold me Dare yet - as I am still in "trial mode" with this Omnia - I did a side by side comparison.

Result: In normal light, the 3MP Dare took superior photographs to the 5MP Omnia. Where the Omnia did better was in strange or difficult lighting. This is because it is more adjustable so you can compensate. For me, overall, adjustability MAY give the Omnia a bit of an edge. But not by much at all.

One thing is certain: The extra 2MPs have no affect on quality whatsoever. I switched between 3 and 5 on the Omnia and found no difference in real life - and no resolution difference between the two phones. I think you would only tell if you blew the picture up to poster size....and even then....

However, there was one thing I noted that was a serious flaw in the Omnia and that is the presence of an redish-pink glow toward the center of the picture. I started noticing it when the camera was pointed at the white kitchen sink. I then photographed various lighter colored objects and it showed up quite clearly when I put them up on screen. I could not manipulate the photos enough in Photoshop to completely remove this aberation. I tried every single setting on the phone with no luck removing it. The strange thing is that I also saw it on the Dare camera....but barely noticeable and only under certain circumstance. It never interfered with the photos the way the Omnia did.

I'm wondering if this is a defect in this camera.

Could you folks check your cameras and let me know what you see when you point them at a white object? Try under a variety of conditions including kitchen light at night pointing at the sink like I did and then try brighter light and a variety of other conditions.
If this is a defect, I need to know so I can trade it in before puting more time into this particular phone. If it is just the way this phone is, then I need to know so I can decide right away if I want to stay with an Omnia or go back to the (stable, safe) Dare.

Thanks!

- Chris

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia