PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Indredible
Carrier: Verizon

volsmcfalls is keeping up the good workvolsmcfalls is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Small Rant...Who's With Me?

One of the reasons I DIDN'T want the Omnia when I saw it in the store was that I was wanting a slide-out full qwerty keyboard because I have large hands and have a hard time with the on-screen ones.

But, after playing with the omnia in store, and using the xt9 functionality on the keyboard to correct typos, I loved it.

But, I have noticed that in landscape mode it is WAY too easy to accidentally hit the send button when typing a text. I have to be very careful when trying to hit the z, x, c, and v buttons. I tried to send someone a text the other day where the first word was "have." Instead, he got 3 texts that said "ha" because when i went to hit the v i accidentally hit send.

This seems like a slight design flaw to me. Maybe the send button should have been relocated in landscape mode? Or, perhaps place the send in the menu, or even make it the phone's send button instead of an on-screen one.

Anyone else having this problem?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Small Rant...Who's With Me?

I don't have this issue, but that is because I use PocketCM for my texting, and the send button has a few second delay on it so the accidental press won't sent, you have to keep it pressed a couple seconds to send!! Works great on the Omnia as well!!

http://pocketcm.com/index.php

Old 12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
I don't have this issue, but that is because I use PocketCM for my texting, and the send button has a few second delay on it so the accidental press won't sent, you have to keep it pressed a couple seconds to send!! Works great on the Omnia as well!!

http://pocketcm.com/index.php
I installed Pocket CM Keyboard and it doesn't seem to do what you're saying. It doesn't even act like it does on the website (no visual feedback). It seems really buggy. Maybe I should have installed the .14 version instead of the .21 version.

What version do you have installed?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia

wtherrell is becoming a great contributor

I have a friend who installed something called a TouchPal keyboard. Says it takes a little getting used to but blows everything else away. Might want to google it. So far I'm ok with the Samsung keyboard. Might try the TouchPal if I get exasperated with the Sammy version.

Wait until tomorrow to procrastinate
Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I don't have the PocketCD Keyboard, just PocketCM itself...the contact manager...I use it for the texting (I like thet layout of threaded messaging there 100% better then WM's). For a keyboard I actually use RESCO, but the send button is part of PocketCM, not the keyboard, so which keyboard you use shouldn't make too much a difference!!

I will try to post an image of what I mean later (I am at work now)!!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post

I will try to post an image of what I mean later (I am at work now)!!
I wish I had a job like yours where I could visit forums all day!!

Just kidding.

I just installed TouchPal and I think it is pretty cool. I'm going to give it a try. So far I really like it!!! Although it sucks in landscape.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

I haven't found one yet that looks good in landscape....I think if one was developed the fat-finger issue would be a lot better!! stretching the keyboard out the full width of the Omnia would give a lot of typing space!!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Have you tried TouchPal? It's really good. You might want to give it a try. It's really good. Very advanced...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom27 View Post
I wish I had a job like yours where I could visit forums all day!!

Just kidding.

I just installed TouchPal and I think it is pretty cool. I'm going to give it a try. So far I really like it!!! Although it sucks in landscape.
TouchPal's vendor is well aware of the issue with the Omnia in landscape mode. They've stated they are working on a fix.

I never thought I'd get used to TouchPal but after a couple weeks now it's hard to remember what it was like before using it. Portrait mode is just fine due to the layout not requiring the extra space landscape provides. However, I still await the landscape fix.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
TouchPal's vendor is well aware of the issue with the Omnia in landscape mode. They've stated they are working on a fix.

I never thought I'd get used to TouchPal but after a couple weeks now it's hard to remember what it was like before using it. Portrait mode is just fine due to the layout not requiring the extra space landscape provides. However, I still await the landscape fix.
I purchased TouchPal prior to my Omnia, so I think if they get a wider landscape keyset going, I will re-install and use that one.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia