PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

master4g is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [HOW TO] Gain Permanent Root on CL14 Out-The-Box and Backup/Restore Customization

When I installed the wireless tether program it says "not root"

I am new to android and just got my phone last night. I follow the insturctions and Im pretty sure I rooted the phone. What I did was installed the samsung update utility and downloaded this file: SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3 and replaced the binary and did the update and now i am on 2.1. Is that all I needed to do to root? I watched this youtube video where the guy also put some SDK v5 file in the sd and tried running it, which I didn't do cuz I tried it with another "custom SDK" and it ended up making my phone get stuck at the "Samsung" logo when the phone turns on, so I ran the samsung update utility again and put this file back on: SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3

One thing tho, on step stick it says:
8. Check build MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>BUILD NUMBER if it reads CUSTOM KERNEL VERSION you've rooted your phone

but when I go there, it says : Eclair.DE03 , is that what I should expect?

any suggestions?

thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

Nihilistocrat is a n00b
Re: [HOW TO] Gain Permanent Root on CL14 Out-The-Box and Backup/Restore Customization

Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble following the directions here. I read the instructions a couple of times, but am not sure which kernel I'm supposed to use. There are two referenced in the directions, but I thought we were supposed to use the JoeyKrim Kernel, but then I see everyone seems to be using the Zefie Kernel. My versions say that i have build number ECLAIR.DE03. I am (I believe) on Android 2.1. So, I don't know if I need the CL14 update or not. I thought not. What I did so far:

Downloaded the sprint updater.
Executed the sprint updater.
Downloaded the JoeyKrim Kernel.
Extracted the JoeyKrim Kernel.
Copied the joeykrim-SDX-Final1.9.5.tar into the Binary file.
Tried to execute the update, but it got stuck at the could not read bin file.

At this point I'm very frustrated. I don't know if I have cl14, need cl14 or am even reading the right topic post. Can you guys help?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC One

chino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributionschino331 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to chino331 Send a message via Skype™ to chino331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilistocrat View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble following the directions here. I read the instructions a couple of times, but am not sure which kernel I'm supposed to use. There are two referenced in the directions, but I thought we were supposed to use the JoeyKrim Kernel, but then I see everyone seems to be using the Zefie Kernel. My versions say that i have build number ECLAIR.DE03. I am (I believe) on Android 2.1. So, I don't know if I need the CL14 update or not. I thought not. What I did so far:

Downloaded the sprint updater.
Executed the sprint updater.
Downloaded the JoeyKrim Kernel.
Extracted the JoeyKrim Kernel.
Copied the joeykrim-SDX-Final1.9.5.tar into the Binary file.
Tried to execute the update, but it got stuck at the could not read bin file.

At this point I'm very frustrated. I don't know if I have cl14, need cl14 or am even reading the right topic post. Can you guys help?
If you're still having probs, this will help:

http://www.dreamingisdigital.com/and...4-updater.html

Remove the Samsung Updater and install this older version w/o the md5sum check.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Lurker

steiny is a n00b

I'm having problems rooting. I just got my Moment with stock Android 2.1 Update 1 installed. Thought rooting would be as easy as flashing a stock ROM to my TP2 was, but it's not looking that way...

Tried to root but having problems with the Sprint Samsung Moment Udate/SW Upgrade software. I get stuck the second time around, after plugging the usb into my Moment and connecting to my computer to download the kernel, I click the "Start Software Download" button and I get an error message, "cannot open bin file".

Now, I've tried this several different ways. I've tried on my Win 7 64 bit PC and my Vista Notebook, same error message. I've also tried the SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1-forcsytos-recovery-3.0.8.tar file (Radioactive FroYo ROM) and when that didn't work, I tried the SPH-M900_MR2_DE03_REL_1-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3.tar file. Same problem each time.

I've googled the "cannot open bin file" and quite a few people have had the same problem, but I can't seem to find resolution other than a few, keep trying suggestions.

I'm lost at this point....please help.

OK, must have been late because I didn't notice the above post. Duh. Will try that, fingers crossed.

Last edited by steiny; 08-09-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Solution Above
Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

I am doing everything listed in the first post, but I keep receiving the "can not read BIN file" error. I removed all contents from the BIN directory and added "joeykrim-SDX-Final1.9.5.tar" and renamed it "SPH-M900_CL14_MR.tar." Any ideas?

Last edited by jthomas8946; 09-21-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Lurker

steiny is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas8946 View Post
I am doing everything listed in the first post, but I keep receiving the "can not read BIN file" error. I removed all contents from the BIN directory and added "joeykrim-SDX-Final1.9.5.tar" and renamed it "SPH-M900_CL14_MR.tar." Any ideas?
I had the same problem. My guess is you're using the latest version of the Samsung Update/Upgrade software from Sprint, correct? That version won't work, they've become hip to the rooting thing and have put some sort of block on the latest version. You have to use an older version. Search PPC forums or Google and you'll find postings of old Samsung Moment Update software.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny View Post
I had the same problem. My guess is you're using the latest version of the Samsung Update/Upgrade software from Sprint, correct? That version won't work, they've become hip to the rooting thing and have put some sort of block on the latest version. You have to use an older version. Search PPC forums or Google and you'll find postings of old Samsung Moment Update software.
You are correct. Thanks, but I am unable to find this software. I found two links to the software, but they were dead links. If you have the software, can you post it?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Lurker

steiny is a n00b

The file is 80MB and it won't compress small enough to post on here. Sorry. If you have an FTP I can drop it on there if you PM me your info.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment