PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Android or HTC Touch Pro2 or other?
Android 30 68.18%
Touch Pro2 12 27.27%
Other (please post what you would suggest) 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

QrafTee is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: droid or htc touchpro 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzFileSend View Post
I hear the referral of the Droid having 2 gpu.

Does that mean that you can be on a phone call and surf the web or receive emails at the sametime?

If so that is a huge differentiator!
What is "the referral of the Droid?" It does not have 2 GPUs, it does not have a dedicated GPU; that's all nonsense.

As for two processors, I'm not sure about that. But I do believe because of the limitations of CDMA, you will not be able to use EVDO-related apps and use the phone at the same time. I believe the carrier wave has to be dedicated (one of the reasons why it has better calls than GSM, but why GSM can handle both simultaneously)
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: verizon

jbag is just getting started

i am getting the moto droid if VZW doesnt nuke the wi-fi. but if it does i think i will be stuck going with the TP2. i prefer the droid though .
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor

Verzion has apparently seen the light and they have not been locking out any features of late, although they did lock out the FM tuner on the TP2.

I currently have a TP2 and am on my way out the door to get my DROID. I'll try to put something up later with my thoughts.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

The best thing to do is wait for the initial madness/buz to fade. Then you'll get a true understanding of Moto Droiod's strengths and weaknesses. Only people that should be buying one in the first day/week are fanboys/enthusiasts of Android and/or people who must have what is new today. People who make calculated decisions and don't like wasting money will wait for the dust to settle, even if just for a couple weeks and then decide.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: VZdub

psooky is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by QrafTee View Post
What is "the referral of the Droid?" It does not have 2 GPUs, it does not have a dedicated GPU; that's all nonsense.

As for two processors, I'm not sure about that. But I do believe because of the limitations of CDMA, you will not be able to use EVDO-related apps and use the phone at the same time. I believe the carrier wave has to be dedicated (one of the reasons why it has better calls than GSM, but why GSM can handle both simultaneously)
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Moto...le-a_6965.html

There are other articles mentioning it using a dedicated GPU alongside the CPU.

"There’s a 550MHz Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor, separate PowerVR GPU, 256MB of RAM, CDMA Rev A., Wi-Fi, GPS, a digital magnetometer" Taken from the BGR preview (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...droid-preview/)

Anyways, this would not enable it to have simultaneous phone/data but should speed up the UI considerably compared to other phones.

To TC: Between the two phones I would say Droid, but both would be a noticeable upgrade to your current phone.

Although I am jumping on the bandwagon and getting the Droid, I have another upgrade I'm saving for when the HD2 or other snapdragon/winmo phone comes out. I like winmo but it lags noticeably when multitasking/switching apps/messaging. I think a 1ghz processor could cover up these flaws of winmo and make it comparable to other options, but I also wonder about battery life when running at those speeds.

Hello World!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor

For those in a rush, I'm not giving up my TP2 for a Droid. For those who want to read my findings, read on. My reason for comparison is I have a TP2 and my wife just got a Droid. Been doing a side by side all evening.

Droid Strengths: Screen, not better, but nice. Better integration with Google products, voice search. More responsive than TP2. Thin. Solid feeling. Very customizable. Did I mention voice search, I can't begin to explain how nice it works.

Droid Weaknesses: Keyboard, although its not as bad as reviewers have said, but it's no TP2. 2 separate programs to handle my Gmail and other email-very annoying. Learning curve going from Windows Mobile to Android. Cannot install programs to SD card. Camera takes awful pictures, everything is washed out or out of focus. For whatever reason Youtube videos took forever to load, I would start them then pick up my TP2 and go about the process of playing the same clip and it would start playing quicker on my TP2 even with the 30 second head start on the Droid and my TP2 is also on Verizon. No Office, although I know its not a biggie for most.

Some of these are not shortcomings of the Droid, but of the OS. And as an FYI, I read somewhere that the car dock included a charger, it does not. If I didn't already have a TP2, I would probably be very happy with a DROID. And Im not really saying a DROID is worse, just not worth giving up my TP2. I've had 2 months to customize my TP2 and I finally have it where its the perfect device for me and it does everything I want it to do. I also love/make use of the video out, and the tilting screen which the DROID lacks.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps someone. As always, try it out for yourself as different people have different needs.

Last edited by krusty46; 11-07-2009 at 11:31 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: samsung omnia

zr2ee is a n00b

just picked up a new droid today, first one was defective and kept crashing so i ended up taking it back for a new one and i love this thing SSSOOOOOOO much better than my omnia. web and navigation is super fast and spot on in my area. pandora, nav, calls, music all work seamlessly with my stereo bluetooth kit. going from having a tiny onscreen WM keyboard to this is a godsend. many might complain about the keyboard but when you have a hardware + interchangable software keyboard with huge high res screen can you really complain??

all i can say is im not going back to windows mobile, this thing is perfect. as for apps, there are tttoooonnnssss under the marketplace, and pretty much all of them are free
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I've been a WinMo user for the last 8 years but I actually think that in a year it will be a battle between Android devices and the iPhone...

again this is just my opinion but I don't think Winmo has lost sooo much ground and that trend is just going to continue.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: omnia

ppag69 is a n00b

I have been a winmo user for a very long time and I have to say that I love the option of being in total control of the UI. It's something I don't ever want to give up. Yeah the PRE, iPhone, DROID and others look cool and have some cool features, but the TP2 is SOOO easy to make it exactly how you want it. I can also get an app for just about everything that the iPhone can do. As for turn by turn nav, "amAze" and others work just fine for free. Another HUGE plus is being able to actually get into the registry and file explorer just like on a pc and change every little thing to my liking, like repeating notifications and everything!!

Oh and don't forget the option of being able to overclock the processor...

Winmo - hands down...
Old 11-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2

Rhlitt is a n00b

Have both....no comparison....Droid by leaps and bounds...TP2 going back. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions regarding the two.

Last edited by Rhlitt; 11-14-2009 at 06:04 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison