PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Im Torn Three Ways!!!! Opinions Please

Well, this is one of those "which device should i get?" threads. I have a HTC Vogue ATM and am looking to upgrade to a newer device but im so torn between three that im driving myself crazy almost LOL. I love a lot of things from each but each have a flaw thats a potential dealbreaker for me.... I just need opinions from the fellowship (i know its personal preference but it would still be nice)

heres my lineup and summary of each from experience and research.....

Palm Pre: I had one and sold it sadly since it lacked a lot of functionality i wanted in a device, but currently im finding myself regretting it more and more every day since 1.2 enabled web downloading capabilities and real universal copy paste as well a web picture saving which was crucial for me when i had it and it did not deliver. I LOVE WebOS, the look, the design, the multitasking and basically everything it currently does. Browser is the best i have ever had, 1.6 million color screen, capacitive, multitouch, SOOO Vibrant also.

Possible dealbreaker
- The CPU is nearly identical to the iPhone 3GS but since the OS is entirely based on javascript and web languages, there is no OpenGL or even a way to communicate with the GPU since its all java and java doesnt do OpenGL. So the CPU does all the rendering thust affecting not only gaming possibilities but overall performance making it choppy and taking a toll on battery life and heat. Plus the SDK is a joke so no native app support, no hardware access, we are limited to no better than widgets and webapps.... thust why a lot of complaining of not many useful apps available

HTC Hero - This device has created a lot of hype and caught my attention, not only SenseUI and, Android which proven itself to be a big dog in the smartphone market with googles support and tons of apps available (breaking 10,000 overall) that come in many flavors and useful as well with the robust SDK available (look up LAYARS, argumented reality app. the coolest app i have ever seen!!!) as well as ROM's, hacks and more. But also having a capacitive screen w multitouch, native flash support and more.

possible dealbreaker - a year old CPU?? IMO SenseUI and all its capabilities may be too much for it. It may be optimized, but software optimization helps so much, but its still the same CPU. Many robust widgets and apps open will defenetly take a toll on performance. Plus im not fond of the Android browser. slow and not as smooth as the Pre (or Opera Mobile for that matter) and the browser is a big PLUS for my use.

HTC Touch Pro 2 - WVGA tilt screen whoohoo!!!, best keyboard in the game!!! Touchflo3D 2.0 and all of htc, goodies in what probably might be the most complete overall hardware out now. I cant wait to put touchflo3d 2.5/2.6 on it since i fell in love with what it brought to the table, animated wallpaper with weather, sense look, twitter tab and more. Plus all the support of ppcgeeks and xda when it comes to hacks and roms.

possible dealbreaker - coming from a mogul, touch, touch pro windows mobile is looking worse and worse to me. its almost the same thing in a different package. i dont like the fact that we HAVE to hide the OS to make it enjoyable and smooth so im feeling like im lying to myself when i slap on a UI that replicates the core elements of the OS. same CPU than the older graphically challenged touch pro?? wow....

so what do you think fellow geeks???
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

jo1020 is keeping up the good workjo1020 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Im Torn Three Ways!!!! Opinions Please

I wish I can help, but I am going through the same thing.

Jo
Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

937dytboi is a n00b

im torn myself, im really leaning towards the hero myself, but im not sure if its a big improvement over my tp. havent had any experience with the hero but i hope to visual of the screen is as good or better than the tp. it has nice features but coming from windows mobile to a android might leave me disappointed. im so use to having mass control over my phone and what it can do, not sure if i can get the same thing from the hero.

but im willing to take the chance if i dont like it i can always return it and pay the difference to get a tp2
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
MikeElGiga23

thanx for the opinion guys (gee i did not realize i wrote so much lol)

im starting to lean to the Pre since besides the apps, its the best overall device for my taste when it comes to keyboard, smooth OS, and capacitive screen. I just have to see how the quality of the apps roll out before i jump to it again, same goes for marketplace

the title is still up for grabs lol
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Verizon/legacy alltel plan

zim2704 is just getting started

imo between the 3 phones i would have to go with the hero. haven't played with one or even seen one in person but from all the reviews and videos i am just waiting for it to come out to verizon.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i finally got to play with a Hero today and it was pretty slick. I was worried about the processor as well but it was smooth. the catch however is that my sprint rep didn't have many widgets running so that may have been part of it. the browser is nice just takes some getting used to. i'm not sure about that physical keyboard though, i think i can get along with it, but if youre the demanding a physical keyboard type, hero won't work out well. just my 2 cents, i have a pre that is a great phone especially since 1.2 came out but i'm still trying to sell it to get either TP2 or Hero, it all just comes down to prefs though
Old 10-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2704 View Post
imo between the 3 phones i would have to go with the hero. haven't played with one or even seen one in person but from all the reviews and videos i am just waiting for it to come out to verizon.
lookin like you wont have to wait too long. technically not a hero (from the looks of it) but it has Sense, so its the hero in the ways that matter
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/s...torola-sholes/
Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

TP2. Lie to yourself, a lot more customization and multi-tasking options compared to the Pre
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 AM
MikeElGiga23

i just booted a hero android rom on my vogue and WOW i was blown away. senseUI is super slick and i love how HTC replaced (heres the twist compared to winmo... REPLACED not added their mask and left the stock one in the background) the dialer, contacts, calendar, music, email, messaging, album, browser etc. etc. with their own design and added features.

I got that "better put together" feeling because it dont have a cover up version of anything, just HTC's version that they made of each app since android is open source and HTC is welcome to rewrite any app basically. And i gotta tell ya, they did a FANTASTIC job.

Hero is in the lead and its HARD to take it down now haha

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison