PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Sprint

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: iPhone vs Palm Pre

Well,

Not sure how old your mom is (mine is 54)...but I had gotten my technically-inept mother a Touch Pro, because that's what she said she wanted after seeing mine. The touch screen was a nightmare for her to deal with. I got a complaint every day from her about it for close to 4 months.

That being said, the iPhone loses out the the Pre because of the keyboard.

I just got my mom a BlackBerry Curve. She can still text with a keyboard, make calls, use Nav, and all that stuff...but it's MUCH simpler to use. It also gets significantly better battery life than the Pre, not sure about iPhone.

I would Pre over iPhone and if it's feasible, BB over both.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

I second the blackberry.. get her the blackberry tour.. simple nice and it just works.. pre im gonna say no go cause if your mother is like my wife or most women. they just throw it in their purse or bag and get jacked up by keys and such... and the pre is not exactly a tank...mine broke and the headphone port got stuck.. but for emails and im and such u cant go wrong with a blackberry curve or tour...plus u know sprint has everyone beat on the plans.. and bb service is included...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

So if i go the blackberry route, i should get the tour?
that doesn't have a touchscreen - correct?
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
i would vote against blackberry but if you do decide to go that route i would recommend the tour, nicer keyboard and newer software. and correct it does not have a touch screen but it does have the full keyboard and trackball
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Threadstarter

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus
Quote:
i would vote against blackberry but if you do decide to go that route i would recommend the tour, nicer keyboard and newer software. and correct it does not have a touch screen but it does have the full keyboard and trackball
why?
you were all for the hardware ketboard. bb has it. no touch screen is a loss but the real clincher is what is easier to email with...
i think i am ruling out iphone beacse she might need that keyboard. so now it comes down to easier. as for build quality...she is ultra gentle so i am not so worried. coz said e-mail on pre very easy so i am leaning towards that...i have to check out a tour and see whats that all about...
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint PPC6850SP)

why?
you were all for the hardware ketboard. bb has it. no touch screen is a loss but the real clincher is what is easier to email with...
i think i am ruling out iphone beacse she might need that keyboard. so now it comes down to easier. as for build quality...she is ultra gentle so i am not so worried. coz said e-mail on pre very easy so i am leaning towards that...i have to check out a tour and see whats that all about...
i am for a keyboard, that's why i originally recommended pre (and email on it is pretty slick just like coz said) i don't like blackberrys (ies?) at all because i think as a platform it has failed to evolve. there was a time when it was the go to device for portable communications but now there are other options that do just as much and more. I also don't like the fact that there's another system involved with handling your mail/web so its just one more thing to break down and if it does your blackberry goes into "paper weight mode" and you're at the mercy of RIM. there's also a few other business reasons that aren't applicable so i'll keep them to myself.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If i was you, I will take my Mom to X or Y carrier store and have her play with the phones. I did that with my wife and I don't regret it, after many months of waiting for the PRE she found out that she hate that phone, waaaay to small keyboard, way too uncomfortable to type, cheap build/feeling, battery life.

We went with 2 Blackberry's and we are really happy now, we're also are proud owners of 2 TP2 in paper weight mode Lol.. Anyway each person have different likes and dislikes, reason why I recommend you to take her to the store, that way she pick the phone she like and there is no one to complain because she picked the phone!!!

I know you might want to surprise her, but nothing beat spending some quality time with your mom on a phone shopping spree!

jbearamus: the only way a BB goes into paper wight mode is with no signal... Like with any other *REAL PUSH* email services they have their problems here and there. Since July 22 BIS systems has been down once, with windows mobile I use to have NuevaSync and they went through the same outages.

Last edited by Vertigo; 09-20-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

well yeah i understand that problems happen but again with blackberry theres just one more system to complicate the whole thing if something does go wrong. vs windows mobile, webos, android, symbian, and osx mobile all you have to worry about is the exchange server.
and from my understanding of the outage it killed everyones email and web. i know the voice and text still worked because those systems run gsm or cdma, not hspa / evdo so they have nothing to do with the data side of the phone so yes while data dies you can still use the phone. the paperweight mode was a joke that didnt work i guess
Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
well yeah i understand that problems happen but again with blackberry theres just one more system to complicate the whole thing if something does go wrong. vs windows mobile, webos, android, symbian, and osx mobile all you have to worry about is the exchange server.
and from my understanding of the outage it killed everyones email and web. i know the voice and text still worked because those systems run gsm or cdma, not hspa / evdo so they have nothing to do with the data side of the phone so yes while data dies you can still use the phone. the paperweight mode was a joke that didnt work i guess
The outage only kill email and access to your BIS account online, i really cant tell you about the web browser because I only use Opera. For example when the BIS system went down for a whole day I was able to browse and to access my email I used the gmail app.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Threadstarter

I guess i will get her a pre and if she doesn't like it within 30 days i get the bb tour. that the feeling im getting here....

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison