PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Lurker

Red05usa is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Sprint Phone Should I Get?

Hi. Lately, ive been thinking of the perfect phone for me. After buying a laptop and ipod touch, ive realized that im on the run a lot, and its really hard to find wifi internet connections when i need them on the fly. So, ive finally remembered, that a while back, people used to use their cell phones (tethered in by annoying wires and slow [fast at the time] speeds) to give internet. Then, after more research, ive realized that you could even turn a lot of smart phones into mobile wifi spots, which is extremely intriguing.

Currently, i have an LG rumor. A piece of crap that doesnt really do much of what i like, but its a phone. However, i want to upgrade to something (with my main goal of it) to be able to turn into a mobile wifi hotspot (making phone calls, and sending texts too of course >.> ). Knowing almost nothing about which phones could do it now (i know the original HTC touch was a godsend), i was hoping someone could tell me which phone is the best for my needs. If i have to swap off sprint then thats what happens, but im assuming theres great phones sprint has to do what i need.

(Edit: my current plan already has unlimited data etc)

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Which Sprint Phone Should I Get?

Well currently the fastest phone on sprint is the palm pre if you're just talking data network, but if you're on wifi any phone will work for you. The best options imo are the

Diamond (Smaller easier to carry around)
Touch Pro (bigger screen, slide out qwerty)
Palm Pre (4G, smoother (for now))

or just hold out for a month or two and get you a touch pro 2, which is basically a touch pro with (maybe) a 3.5mm headphone jack and a bigger WVGA screen.

Note though I think u have to mod the pre with a few hacks to get it to tether, but shouldnt be too hard. As far as I've been able to tell (have friends on GSM networks) sprint is the fastest data phone company. I always get reception, and way faster, than other networks. With just my 3g connection I often browse web pages and they take maybe 4 or 5 seconds to load. PPC Geeks loads in about 5 seconds for instance (till the ATT guy comes over to install my internet)

As far as Wifi goes, you can't really go wrong.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Let me start by saying most carriers now charge for tethering. Sprint has some great devices out now and the Touch Pro 2 seem to be drawing quite a bit of attention. It all depends on what you want your device to do for you. Definetly any PDA/ Smartphone will do way more than your Rumor can. My advice is look through the forums here and see what other people are saying about the various devices and narrow your choices that way. Then go to one of the carrier's corp store and play with the device and see if you like the look and feel. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
ICE
Pocket PC: Motorola Everything
Carrier: Big RED

smiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to smiznith

get the touch pro 2, there is a reg hack that lets you use tethering via ghost mode.... just wait till september.. its worth it
Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

sprint charges for tethering? since when?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Sprint has always charged for tethering. There are applications that let you get around the money can. PdaNet is one of a few applications that provide this functionality.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
ICE

smiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIPsmiznith is a VIP
Talking Re: Which Sprint Phone Should I Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
sprint charges for tethering? since when?
i was wondering the same thing.....lol
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bold 9650

ekz13 is becoming a great contributor

it's like $5 or $10/mo with a 5gb cap iirc
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
ICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekz13 View Post
it's like $5 or $10/mo with a 5gb cap iirc
hmm... never had that problem before........
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bold 9650

ekz13 is becoming a great contributor

from what i understand there are ways around it, but sprint offers PAM (phone as modem) for that price..

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison