PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So who's upgrading to the Touch Pro 2?

*mods, feel free to merge. i couldnt find any other touch pro 2 topics do to "2" being unsearchable*

I just want to know whose upgrading. This community has been very awesome and i fear a split if people start moving in a mass to another device.

The pros are pretty good IMO; bigger screen, better keyboard, continued support by htc. But with the hardware being primarily the same (as the 1st TP), its not going to provide a more fluid use in action... maybe worse. More pixels across a display using the same processors... im not sure what to think

Since the likes of htc, toshiba, and samsung seem to not like cdma that much (with all the great overseas phones), im thinking about giving my TP another year. Also, with tegra and snapdragon on the horizon, i really want to see what a "hardware accelerated" winmo device feels like.

But, meh, im still on the edge. I happen to have some extra cash and im really thinking about it. Not to mention i listen to a lot of music and the dual improved speakers sounds good to me lol
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

killerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to killerkhatiby009
Re: So who's upgrading to the Touch Pro 2?

Ill probably end up upgrading, im really going to miss the flash in the camera but ive just had so many problems with the keyboard breaking on my touch pro its just really discouraging. I dont have any promise that the second iteration will be any better but you always have to hope right? plus ive always wanted a bigger screen than the 2.8" back since i had the wizard. Hopefully HTC will have optimized the software so it runs faster and more stable than the current touch pro even with the same hardware. Overall i really think the Touch Pro 2 is more of just an improvement than a full upgrade, but im hopeful.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I would love to have it, but I don't think I can dish out the couple hundred it's bound to be

Also I hope that Sprint won't pull the same thing with the Palm Pre and block SERO accounts from activating them.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

zepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The new TP2 is lacking, camera flash, magnetic stylus, dpad, battery life, and it is heavier than the TP. So it has a bigger screen, it has an older cpu, if you lay it flat, you can't hear the speaker phone, who would ever lay it face down on the screen?
I'll stick with my TOUCH PRO. It tilts, that is good, but if you listen and watch pocketnow.com, you can see that the new TP2 is lacking in many areas, you get a fancy speakerphone and bigger screen, so what!!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I haven't seen a "who is going to upgrade" thread yet, tho I may have missed it, so this one is probably OK until the device is formally recognized with its own section here on ppcgeeks.com (because that's really only when a device actually matters!).

I am intrigued by the larger screen and what looks like a vastly improved keyboard (from a typing standpoint). But I'm distraught at the loss of the d-pad; miserable as the one on the TP is, at least it's there when you need it. I can't say I like the direction we're headed to "all touch", at least with WM6.1...it's just not polished enough to accomplish what it needs without some hardware buttons. Half the time I try to scroll and I either select something, or I end up scrolling 4 screens down and I have to slowly back up. I picture the iPhone fanboys laughing at me as I do this little dance almost every day. And I recently saw in another post somewhere, the ctrl and tab keys are missing, along with a handful of others, in order to make room for all the space between those larger keys. Since I use those, they would be missed.

I would (will?) be disappointed if the graphics performance isn't improved overall.

As more info comes to light I think this thread will be an interesting discussion of tradeoffs. Everybody notices (and cares about) different details.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Amazing review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTjSbpFDhQ

And this is why I will be upgrading:

1) Improved build quality (big deal to me!)
2) Larger screen
3) Tilting screen
4) More responsive screen
5) Much improved keyboard- I find the current one to be a bit tight. It was easier to type on the Mogul.
6) According to this video, improved battery life.
7) Damn its sexy!

Of course, I'll have to wait to get my hands on it to be sure...

Last edited by mlin; 06-05-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution!

heydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Yahoo to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Skype™ to heydjbobby74

I'm going to stay with my TP. Too many people waste too much technology trying to chase the newest technology out there. My phone is only like 7 months old, and it runs like a champ! I do not see any reason to upgrade to the TP2 except that it looks sexier, and if I buy a phone just cause it looks sexy, then I would have gone with the iPhone....?

http://www.heydjbobby.com/
Audiovox 6700> Samsung i760> HTC Touch Pro> HTC Touch Pro2> HTC HeRooted> HTC EVOlutionized!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
I haven't seen a "who is going to upgrade" thread yet, tho I may have missed it, so this one is probably OK until the device is formally recognized with its own section here on ppcgeeks.com (because that's really only when a device actually matters!).

I am intrigued by the larger screen and what looks like a vastly improved keyboard (from a typing standpoint). But I'm distraught at the loss of the d-pad; miserable as the one on the TP is, at least it's there when you need it. I can't say I like the direction we're headed to "all touch", at least with WM6.1...it's just not polished enough to accomplish what it needs without some hardware buttons. Half the time I try to scroll and I either select something, or I end up scrolling 4 screens down and I have to slowly back up. I picture the iPhone fanboys laughing at me as I do this little dance almost every day. And I recently saw in another post somewhere, the ctrl and tab keys are missing, along with a handful of others, in order to make room for all the space between those larger keys. Since I use those, they would be missed.

I would (will?) be disappointed if the graphics performance isn't improved overall.

As more info comes to light I think this thread will be an interesting discussion of tradeoffs. Everybody notices (and cares about) different details.
i find the d-pad on the TP to be a miserable implementation. It works so poorly and is a waste of space to me. I agree with you about scrolling, it is horrible on 6.1 which is why I have upgraded to 6.5 and absolutely will not revert back to 6.1.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fascinate
Carrier: Verizon

nuuuuts is becoming a great contributor

with the upcoming release of the TP2, does anyone have any idea as to what the shelf life will be of the TP? From a business standpoint it wouldn't make much sense to tell the TP against the TP2.

Upgrading this route wouldn't be as bad, tho the monthly fees plus the deductible make it close to the retail price over time.

I currently have TEP and was wondering how long it may take before they start doing the same thing that they did the moguls, replace the moguls with TP's.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydjbobby74 View Post
I'm going to stay with my TP. Too many people waste too much technology trying to chase the newest technology out there. My phone is only like 7 months old, and it runs like a champ! I do not see any reason to upgrade to the TP2 except that it looks sexier, and if I buy a phone just cause it looks sexy, then I would have gone with the iPhone....?
to each his own... to me there are more reasons to upgrade than the physical appearance alone, but that's just me. I already mentioned above why I will upgrade, and admittedly the last reason was the sexy appearance, everything listed above outweighs this though.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison