PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of upgrading to the Touch Pro, some questions for you guys using 'em

Ok, I have had nothing but headaches with my XV6800. I am on Verizon and I am thinking about upgrading to the Touch Pro.

I had a few questions for you TP users.
  1. Hows the GPS on the TP? does it stay active while the phone is in "standby" (when the display is off, but phone is on) Is it true aGPS on verizon? Are you able to use NMEA programs like google maps and Mobile XT with the GPS chip?
  2. I am wanting to do some GeoCaching with this phone (which was my plans for my XV6800, but that didnt work). Are any of you guys using the phone for Geocaching?
  3. Is it "laggy" on a stock rom?\
  4. How much better is it than my XV6800? as in performance, GPS, and the like.
  5. Are you happy with it?
Again, thanks in advance for any answers!

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

gangmobb is keeping up the good workgangmobb is keeping up the good work
Re: Thinking of upgrading to the Touch Pro, some questions for you guys using 'em

i can say google maps is amazing!! gps idont rely use so idk and geocaching?... idk wat that is lol but there stock rom not rely laggy you can always upgrade to a WAY BETTER one rely easily.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

temperbad is keeping up the good worktemperbad is keeping up the good worktemperbad is keeping up the good work
Re: Thinking of upgrading to the Touch Pro, some questions for you guys using 'em

the mogul doesnt come close to the pro, yes google maps work with gps, no the stock rom isnt slow if ya apply simple tweaks, i am on the stock rom and have used custom but theres always a update on a fix that the last one forgot.... i feel the pros (htc) made the perfect rom, some like speed (they are fast and responsive) but i couldnt deal with the constant freezing of too many taps that i found with every custom rom i tried.... its a sweeeeeeeeet phone and i wouldnt trade it for a car.llol well maybe
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Metro PCS

YouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to YouMayLose

I use google maps and live search w my touch pro both work great.. even though my provider is metro pcs... I have seen GeoCaching for the TP on some sites although i dont do it I am sure it is done and can be done...never had an XV6800 so dont no how much better but I do know the TP is awesome if you enjoy windows based phones... as for stock rom I dont have the answer to that either as I didnt use the stock for very long but I dont remember it being bad at all...the GPS works pretty good..again concider I use Metro pcs as a provider so I use live search and google maps for gps and they do very very well....
I LOVE MY TOUCH PRO.. but I went from a basic phone for text/call only to the touch pro which does every thing except cook and clean my house lol
Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Wow. Those responses were quick! Thanks.

Does the GPS still stay active while the display is powered off?

Do you know if you are getting aGPS on the device? I mean, with aGPS locks would be extremely quick.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: cellcom

a9402169 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
Wow. Those responses were quick! Thanks.

Does the GPS still stay active while the display is powered off?

Do you know if you are getting aGPS on the device? I mean, with aGPS locks would be extremely quick.
yes. the GPS remains active even when the display is off.

I use quickGPS, a build in application. it takes advantage of your network to determine your position much faster. you can set it to a manual or an automatic dowmload (few kb each download, I do it manually once a day). it works for me very fast with IGO8 3D.

I am having the HTC TP for a few weeks now (I had Nokia N95), and I am very satisfied.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Geocaching - I use BasicGPS on my Touch Pro. It works with internal or stand-alone GPS. BasicGPS is capable of loading GPX files from Geocaching.com. I have the same information available on my Touch Pro via BasicGPX that I have on my DeLorme PN-40.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison