PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Question about Sprint VZW Memory diffs

The difference is hardware. Sprint has 256MB of RAM, 32MB of which is reserved for the radio stack. The rest is available to the OS.

VZW has 192MB of RAM, 64MB of which is reserved for the radio.

I have no idea why VZW's CDMA radio on the same hardware needs twice as much RAM - or if it is even using it.

But yes, if taking using a ROM for Sprint on VZW or vice-versa, definitely check the pagepool. My suggestions for VZW go for 6MB for a stripped ROM, 9MB for a medium loaded, 10Mb if you have a lot of HTC stuff, and 12MB if you are really blinged out. 12 is probably the reasonable limit though I know folks running 16. For Sprint, go for zero. That's right, zero. Zero means no limit. The OS grabs as much as it wants. You might run low on memory - if so, revert back to 24 MB or 32MB.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

oldpueblo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularoldpueblo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularoldpueblo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Verizon Touch PRO VS SPRINT Touch PRO

Here's all three.

Verizon
ATT
Sprint

(not to scale)

Off the top of my head I see Sprint has two shift keys, two keys taking up two spots, a txt AND an email key, you get the picture. Saying the VZW phone has less keys and inferring that it's inferior because it does isn't really accurate. The keyboards are all roughly the same with the ATT being the worst in my opinion by missing a number row. But that's just my opinion, not fact.

Last edited by oldpueblo; 03-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

AT&T - Props for dedicated Start Menu and OK keys
Sprint - Props for dedicated CTRL and Tab keys
Verizon - Props for a user defined Favorite key (the star)

I have a Verizon TP but probably would prefer the Sprint version, I do think it has the most functional keyboard and the extra RAM would be nice...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Sprint->Verizon

sudermatt is keeping up the good worksudermatt is keeping up the good work

I'm sorry...but I'm still confused...

Is it the sprint PHONE that needs more pagepool?
OR
Does the sprint ROM need more pagepool?

I'm still not getting why all the ROM makers, including your post, are suggesting higher pagepool's for Sprint than Verizon?

Sorry for my Daftness
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: ICE

pezx44 is just getting started

I find it much easier to type on the VZ keyboard. A little bigger keys go a long way. That is until I have a sentence that has an "m" somewhere in it. Then i notice that i ****ed things up and have to start typing again. I hear you get used to it though...
Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Sprint phone has more RAM and can therefore use larger pagepool (or zero-limit pagepool). On any ROM designed for it, you can set the pagepool (prior to flashing) to any hard limit you want or to zero-limit. The recommendations are 6-12MB for VZW and zero-limit or 24MB-32MB for Sprint.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro2/Touch Pro/Diamond

Atomic2Mod is keeping up the good workAtomic2Mod is keeping up the good work
Re: Verizon Touch PRO VS SPRINT Touch PRO - Hotmail Question

Hi,
a friend (web based) has just gotten a Verizon TP and says she doesn't have Windows Live and therefore can't set up hotmail on the phone. She says the service rep told her it's impossible, they didn't support it.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work

Windows Live can be downloaded in cab form and installed just fine. Verizon Wireless just does not support it so they wont help with install or troubleshooting. They do support mobile IM for PDA which can be downloaded frome the VZW start page. This however looks alot more VZW and less Microsoft. All about taste really if it gets the job done.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison