PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

BlueBeetle is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to BlueBeetle
Should I get the TP or wait for the TP2?

I currently have a Mogul and my contract ends next month. My question is... should I switch the the Touch Pro next month or wait for the Touch Pro 2 to come out later this month??
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20
Re: Should I get the TP or wait for the TP2?

Looking at the current distribution model for the HTC phones and specifically with Sprint (as you say you have the Mogul), you should not expect to see a subsidized carrier based version of the Touch Pro2 for at least 8 months to a year.

If you are willing to go the unlocked version, you should be able to pick one up this summer, but you will have to switch your carrier to something GSM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 (Sprint)
Threadstarter

BlueBeetle is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to BlueBeetle

Thanks, I figured it would be awhile before the TP2 came out. Not sure I'm willing to wait that long.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

And the TP2, I think has almost identical hardware to the TP. Just an outside appearance difference.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeetle View Post
Thanks, I figured it would be awhile before the TP2 came out. Not sure I'm willing to wait that long.
It would be nice of you if you have your carrier and device model in your profile because I would say if you are with Sprint then go ahead and get it. But if you are with VZW then I would say wait.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20

I figured he was with Sprint since he said he had a Mogul, not the xv6800, but that could be an incorrect assumption.

Also as Drewcam points out, per the HTC website, there really isn't much difference in terms of hardware between the Pro and Pro2, except a bigger screen and an FM radio that carriers over here will probably have removed anyway.

The big fuss about the conference call function really doesn't seem like that big a deal, but the larger (and more symmetrical) screen have me a bit more interested.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02

well who really knows when the touch pro 2will come out HTC claims it will be released end of second quarter this year so I say if you have the patience to wait than do it because the touch pro 2 is really nice compared to the first one bigger tilting screen plus the keyboards alone is a big difference whoever says its not probably is just hating because they just upgraded to the pro recently or paid more than 400 dollars for it. ..I'm glad I returned my tp within sprints 30 days because I always wanted to get bigger screen
Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700, PPC-6800

6700noobie is a n00b

If you got patience, I'd wait. TP2 has a bigger screen and it's 800x480 WVGA and hopefully a better speaker phone the way they talk about it. The tilt is nice, but has anyone had problems on ATT with their tilt loosening up? And it's only a 2 MP camera still. But that keyboard should be better. My apache keyboard feels better than my 2 mogul keyboards. And I've never had a multiple letter output or missed button press with my apache. The apache just didn't have nice Fn and Cap indicator lights and fully lit buttons (fn symbols lit like the mogul). But you know....I'm waiting for an OLED screen.

I'm still on my apache! I just got 2 used Moguls one off ebay $51 bucks cracked camera lens that I fixed myself and another as a gift (lightly used) from a friend. If I'm gonna shell out $300 bucks and extend my contract with sprint. I'm gonna wait for a snapdragon equipped phone with an WVGA OLED screen and 5 MP camera. Come on HTC! Why limit the 5 MP for the D2....give it to the TP2 also! Sigh.... TG01 looks tempting if it comes out for CDMA!

So I'd wait if I have to pay....if you can get a TP on the cheap and still get your discount when the TP3 comes out, I'd go for it. But I can't so I'm gonna wait.
1 Sprint Mogul (6800) flakey as heck unit - build tester
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamonds On My Damn Chain
Carrier: Still With Sprint

nelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on repnelly04 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Id get the pro now! DO IT!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jharp146 is just getting started

I must say, wait. Check Craigslist in your area everyday and you may find a good deal on a touch pro. I check everyday, just out of habit and interest, and after about 2 weeks, I found a Diamond in Nashville for 200, and then sold my mogul for 200. Since then, (3 months ago,) I've seen a few Diamonds and Touch pros going for under 300. My 2 cents.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison