PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Omnia speed vs. touch pro (Verizon)?

I just played with the Omnia yesterday, and I loved how fast this phone was, and the camera was amazing. I also love their launching/today setup.

The one thing that bothered me, similarly to the Touch Pro and Diamond, was the that screen was highly-insensitive around the borders. It was worse than the Pro I have in my hand. I tried 3 Omnia phones yesterday, and I could not hit the A key on the on-screen keyboard, with my thumb. My girlfriend tried as well, and she is tiny! When will these companies realize that making a touchscreen work properly is a big deal? If you pick up an iPhone, you will not have a problem hitting the A key, ever. They are imitating the iPhone, in this case, and they are not doing a good job.

Does anyone know if the Xperia will have this problem as well? I need the on-screen to work properly for short notes... if I have to use a stylus, or my fingernail just to hit certain letters, it's worthless to me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

vaxick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to vaxick Send a message via Yahoo to vaxick

Hmmm after reading this I'm kinda tempted to check out the Omnia. The battery life on the TouchPro is just worrying me a lot since I do a ton of texting. I just really want a unlocked GPS though.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
Hmmm after reading this I'm kinda tempted to check out the Omnia. The battery life on the TouchPro is just worrying me a lot since I do a ton of texting. I just really want a unlocked GPS though.
What sucks is that you may never see unlocked GPS, because the number of Samsung fanboys pale in comparison to the HTC fanboys. Not many will buy the phone, not many will work on unlocking it.

Have you read that it for sure is locked? Is that a Verizon-thing?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Lurker

Squantodog is just getting started

ScrapMaker makes a good point....If you look at this forum you will see the HTC Touch Pro is cooking away in the kitchen (no pun in tended) for a GPS hack AND the number of HTC users posts is overwhelming. I liked the GPS in my XV6800 (My older phone), but if it never gets working on the Omnia- oh well I didn't get the phone for GPS - but it would be an added bonus. Note: I believe there is another post looking for volunteer phones if you want to see development go faster.
Also, I had a HTC Touch Pro for two weeks and today I am heading to the Omina. Why? I will create a detailed post with comparisons later, but the Omnia is the direction I am heading for a few reasons. The HTC Touch Pro is great, but I can't stand the fingerprints, a wiggle in the keyboard and the rumored backlight dimming after a few months of use (meaning HTC has not perfected the higher resolution for longevity?? ). Overall, I am just glad PDA\Smartphones are making a come back in general. This means more users, more games, more uses and more fun!! Post away Omnia Users we have a long way to catch up to the HTC Touch Pro posts!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantodog View Post
ScrapMaker makes a good point....If you look at this forum you will see the HTC Touch Pro is cooking away in the kitchen (no pun in tended) for a GPS hack AND the number of HTC users posts is overwhelming. I liked the GPS in my XV6800 (My older phone), but if it never gets working on the Omnia- oh well I didn't get the phone for GPS - but it would be an added bonus. Note: I believe there is another post looking for volunteer phones if you want to see development go faster.
Also, I had a HTC Touch Pro for two weeks and today I am heading to the Omina. Why? I will create a detailed post with comparisons later, but the Omnia is the direction I am heading for a few reasons. The HTC Touch Pro is great, but I can't stand the fingerprints, a wiggle in the keyboard and the rumored backlight dimming after a few months of use (meaning HTC has not perfected the higher resolution for longevity?? ). Overall, I am just glad PDA\Smartphones are making a come back in general. This means more users, more games, more uses and more fun!! Post away Omnia Users we have a long way to catch up to the HTC Touch Pro posts!
You've got to love the camera on the Omnia. The viewfinder is nearly 30fps, and the pictures come out nice and crisp. They also save very quickly.

The Omnia felt really responsive in my hand--other than the borders of the touchscreen, which rendered the portrait on-screen keyboard nearly useless..

The landscape version worked fine, but covered a lot of the screen.

Sad to say, but I think Apple got the whole portrait keyboard thing down really well, on their first try. Their phone is wide enough to make proper inputs, and man, if you watch any of the speed-typing videos on youtube, it will blow your mind.

I just wish I could run WM on the iPhone. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia

devinc is keeping up the good workdevinc is keeping up the good work

I just gave in and am using VZ navigator on my Omnia. Why the heck not? I loved by AGPS on my 6800 but I don't want to wait for an unlock. If it comes I can always cancel VZN.

As far as the iphone...even if it ran WM I would not buy one. I don't enjoy:

1. Having to send the phone in to replace the battery
2. Not being able to use a stylus or any other blunt household implement
3. Not having a swappable memory card.

I use my phone for business and as my entire entertainment system on the go. With a whopping total of 24.5 GB of storage, I have my entire music library and a good portion of my DVD library on the phone.

It is kind of a bummer you cannot hot swap the MicroSD card. But taking the battery cover off aqnd removing the battery is literally a 10 second operation. You do have to power off the phone though.

But the point is, I can buy maybe 2 more 16 Gb microSD and have every piece of music and every DVD I own available for travel and still have space for photos and apps and whatnot.

Try that on an iphone.

Devin
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinc View Post
I just gave in and am using VZ navigator on my Omnia. Why the heck not? I loved by AGPS on my 6800 but I don't want to wait for an unlock. If it comes I can always cancel VZN.

As far as the iphone...even if it ran WM I would not buy one. I don't enjoy:

1. Having to send the phone in to replace the battery
2. Not being able to use a stylus or any other blunt household implement
3. Not having a swappable memory card.

I use my phone for business and as my entire entertainment system on the go. With a whopping total of 24.5 GB of storage, I have my entire music library and a good portion of my DVD library on the phone.

It is kind of a bummer you cannot hot swap the MicroSD card. But taking the battery cover off aqnd removing the battery is literally a 10 second operation. You do have to power off the phone though.

But the point is, I can buy maybe 2 more 16 Gb microSD and have every piece of music and every DVD I own available for travel and still have space for photos and apps and whatnot.

Try that on an iphone.

Devin
You make a good point... what about streaming though
Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 AM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

I feel like the portrait Samsung Keyboard is really fast and efficient EXCEPT for the "a" key etc. The letters that border the screen are damn near impossible to press with your fingers , sometimes it takes me 4-5 tries.........
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
I feel like the portrait Samsung Keyboard is really fast and efficient EXCEPT for the "a" key etc. The letters that border the screen are damn near impossible to press with your fingers , sometimes it takes me 4-5 tries.........

I have been pointing this out for months. For some reason here lately, manufacturers have been employing this very strange way of "flushing" their resistive touchscreens.

The Diamond, Touch Pro, and Omnia all have the same problem. I would reckon that the dumbphone versions have the same problems, but they aren't running Windows Mobile with the smaller icons in the corners...

I'm not sure why HTC would switch over to this method, since my original Touch did not have this problem at all.

Try this test. Holding the phone in portrait mode, open up Notes. Make sure you are in drawing mode, and push in the center of the screen with normal pressure--like you are dragging Opera around. Now drag to the left side of the screen. How far does the line stop from the edge? On the three I played with in various Verizon stores, it was close to 1/2" sometimes.

Totally unacceptable, on any phone this happens on. This is what makes hitting buttons in the corners, using scrollbars, and typing on the keyboard, (extremities, that is,) and a few other problems.

It's as if they didn't even check over the designs before building them.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

I tried the "note" test you suggested and on my Omnia it stops a good 1/4" or so from the edge, that just so happens to be right where the A falls, PITA. Not near as bad on my Verizon Touch Pro but still a noticeable 1/16" or so.

I did find and try Resco Keyboard on my Omnia last night and it makes a world of difference to use compared to the Samsung Keyboard. I highly recommend anybody having trouble with the onscreen keyboard to check out the Resco Keyboard.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison