PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro with custom ROMs'
Carrier: Sprint for the service & PPCGeeks for the device

meanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro vs Treo 800

I currently have the Mogul 6800, and I was at a sprint store today playing with the Touch Pro (TP) and they informed me I'm due to renew/upgrade my phone plan soon so I was asking the sales rep about the TP and he was making a fairly good argument for the Palm Treo 800.

Wondering if anyone has any comparison between the 2, I am leaning towards the TP but want to find out if any one has actually used both (not just played with them in the store) and what they think
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Touch Pro vs Treo 800

I just swapped out my 800 for the Touch Pro yesterday..... I had the 800 for a few months, got bored of it quickly, and gotta love the screen resolution/extra real estate on the TP. I am 95% happy with my switch thus far.

-Dave
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

meanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuff

Would you mind keeping me posted on the differences/IMO/comparisons

Thanks

Last edited by meanfishy; 11-12-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

I think it really depends more on how you use your phone and what features are most important to you. I currently own a 800w and I've owned a couple slide out keyboard phones. The biggest difference for me when I switched to the 800w was the front facing QWERTY keyboard. I never thought it would make a difference. I even thought it would be worse since the keys are smaller but on the 800w they seem to be just the right size. I love that I can type one handed without having to use a software keyboard. One other big difference is the screen resolution. But, if you use RealVGA on the 800w that helps get a lot of screen real estate back. Finally, the Touch Pro is sexy as can be! Sprint has a 30 day return policy so I'd say just pic one, use it for 3 weeks then swap it for the other. After that you should be able to decide if you want to keep it or return for your first choice.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Agreed. I've had my 700wx since they first streeted....and I'm a sucker for the front facing keyboard and the extra hardware buttons. It's one-handed bliss.

late,
Coz
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

thanks for the input, looks like I will be spending some time at teh store playing with each one and going from there
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'd agree with the others too on the one handed deal. You can fully use the touch pro one handed for all your contacts, programs, surfing etc. But typing you really need to open the keyboard if you are not used to the on-screen virtual keyboard.

But, this just makes sure I don't text while driving.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

I can use my full QWERTY on 6800 with 1 hand without issues, so that won't be the issue with the TP, however with the 800 I'm afraid i will be pressing several buttons at a once. but i need to go to the store and press the buttons to see.

I'm more interested in the performance and customization (ROM cooking/registry edits/etc...) between the 2. I LOVE the fact the 6800 can have so much customization done, and I am constantly "tweaking" it. so that is more of what I am looking at between these 2

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

you need to spend more than a few minutes with the 800w to get used to the keyboard. after my first week i was very fast with it and made few errors. im actually faster with my 800w than i was with my 6700 because the keys are closer together.

as far as customizing the TP is way ahead of the 800w. there r so many roms for it its rediculous. do some research first though. i havent seen any roms for the 800w. it sucks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
you need to spend more than a few minutes with the 800w to get used to the keyboard. after my first week i was very fast with it and made few errors. im actually faster with my 800w than i was with my 6700 because the keys are closer together.

as far as customizing the TP is way ahead of the 800w. there r so many roms for it its rediculous. do some research first though. i havent seen any roms for the 800w. it sucks.

I wonder why since the 800 have been out since July\, and the TP for less than a month

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison