PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: CDMA Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

caifalex is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Diamond vs. Touch Pro

For me it's not about the KB, I've said it before... I actually prefer it not to have a keyboard in exchange for a thinner phone. I've used PCM Keyboard for a year and I really, really, like it. In fact I think that is the keyboard I will use on my PRO for texts (physical KB for email)... BUT, and that is a BIG BUT... the Pro has video out. Imagine the possibilities... slingbox available ANYWHERE (no need to have wifi since the ev-do is fast enough), carrying around a couple of movies and watching them on my friend's TV's. I actually own an archos wifi 160GB and I'm thinking of getting rid of it since I probably won't have a need for it, the function I will lose is DVR but I can live without it, especially now that they are charging for the TV guide service. I probably won't be needing the 160GB since I'll be able to use ORB and stream whatever is on my computer out to a TV monitor anywhere. (of course I'll lose the bigger screen but I can live without it.. plus I can hook up anywhere anyway)

I'm thinking of using the Archos money to install an LCD in my car... imagine that... TV (or web on a big screen) anywhere!!

Thus, unless they figure out how to put TV-out on the diamond, it's the pro for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
You know what guys?

I'm 37 years old, and have been an IT guy for the last 10 years - admittingly I wanted the Diamond Pro because of the keyboard. I've learned that I'm a 'hands on' kind of guy, but guess what? Due to the fact I'm in Canada, and couldn't wait - took the plunge after my HTC 6700 was retired, I went for the Touch Diamond!

I braced myself having no keyboard, but guess what? I dig it. I can use the onscreen full QWERTY keyboard, and still do what I need to do. Also I've learned that with more advancing technology coming out, soon everything with a 'screen' will be touch-ready.

So it's my suggestion that we'd get used to using technology with no keyboard or mouse. Ask yourselves this: what is mobile technology doing for the public? Teaching them new skills by navigating their devices with no need for keyboards or mouse. I strongly suggest we 'IT/computer geeks' learn to do without the keyboard.

So far, I have no need for a keyboard. I can do remote jobs, navigate using the on-screen QWERTY keyboard (hated it before on the 6700, ALWAYS used the keyboard), and again - I'm digging it.

Fellas - if I can do without, so can you.

Teach yourselves a new trick - go keyboard-less! w00t!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

Lol, every phone/pocket PC I've ever had has been "keyboardless"

I want a phone WITH a keyboard for a change!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
You know what guys?

I'm 37 years old, and have been an IT guy for the last 10 years - admittingly I wanted the Diamond Pro because of the keyboard. I've learned that I'm a 'hands on' kind of guy, but guess what? Due to the fact I'm in Canada, and couldn't wait - took the plunge after my HTC 6700 was retired, I went for the Touch Diamond!

I braced myself having no keyboard, but guess what? I dig it. I can use the onscreen full QWERTY keyboard, and still do what I need to do. Also I've learned that with more advancing technology coming out, soon everything with a 'screen' will be touch-ready.

So it's my suggestion that we'd get used to using technology with no keyboard or mouse. Ask yourselves this: what is mobile technology doing for the public? Teaching them new skills by navigating their devices with no need for keyboards or mouse. I strongly suggest we 'IT/computer geeks' learn to do without the keyboard.

So far, I have no need for a keyboard. I can do remote jobs, navigate using the on-screen QWERTY keyboard (hated it before on the 6700, ALWAYS used the keyboard), and again - I'm digging it.

Fellas - if I can do without, so can you.

Teach yourselves a new trick - go keyboard-less! w00t!
The only problem is you're not keyboardless. It's just an emulated keyboard on screen, so its no different really, only crappier (IMO).

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i agree.i had a treo and although the touch took some getting used to,i came to love the touch screen.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
The only problem is you're not keyboardless. It's just an emulated keyboard on screen, so its no different really, only crappier (IMO).
that's a good point also.the touch's keypad was made better after the rom update and from what i hear,the diamond and pro will be better.but i like the pro because of the flash on the camera(brothers' got a mogul and rubs this in).
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The 3VO
Carrier: Sprint for service PPC geeks for eerythang else :)

toinejuan is keeping up the good worktoinejuan is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to toinejuan Send a message via Yahoo to toinejuan

I've had my Diamond for a week and some change now, I do love the SIP. I tried the diamond keyboard on my mogul but this ones a lot better and the functionality is a lot more responsive. I do however want an expandable slot and would be nice to have flash on my camera, those are the only two reasons I'm leaving the Diamond and going to a PRO. If it had a sd slot, I'd be cool, though this phone is sexy and hardly anyone has them right now so I love showing it off but I need a micro sd slot and flash.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

scott31337 is a n00b

You can always put the Diamond On Screen Keyboard or SPB on the Touch Pro - no one's going to stop you
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott31337 View Post
You can always put the Diamond On Screen Keyboard or SPB on the Touch Pro - no one's going to stop you
i was under the impression that the touch pro would have the same on screen keyboard as the diamond, as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Lurker

RAzorV is a n00b

okay, Other than more Memory (I think 4GB is a lot) why do people say that an SD Slot is a MUST?

My company is redoing their contract w/Sprint and I have a choice of the Diamond or the Pro. Just trying to condiser why an SD Slot is a must. I understand that 8gb or 16gb maybe what you need if you are totally into music and movies. But 4gb is plenty for me.

Also, what can yoiu really use the TV OUT jack for? taking a movie to a friends house and watching it using the Pro? Hummm, never thoght of that, but is there anything else?

thanks to all that can help me. I can do fine with an On-Screen Keyboard.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro

equilibriumly11 is a n00b

Ok just saw this thread and felt I should give my two cents.

I bought a diamond right when it came out. Right off the bat I had problems. It would constantly and suddenly start to emit a loud siren that could not be stopped unless you take out the battery and if I would put it back in it would keep making noise till it felt like it was time to stop.

Sprint replaced that one and the next had similar issues. Went back they replaced it again only to have the same issues and now this one was extremely slow. I was basically forced to wait for a ROM update or switch the phone. They told me it could be more than six months for a ROM update.

So after much time with customer service I got them to send me a pro. It is a little bigger than the diamond but not much. They got the software right on with the pro. It runs alot faster than the diamond. All the fuctions work perfectly. The diamond always had a problem with the end button getting stuck but the pro's buttons work flawlessly.

I love it and the added size does not matter it is still smaller than an Iphone. It just works. Never get a diamond. I know its a sexy phone but it doesnt work.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison