PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

BlindRacer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help convincing myself

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new phone and don't want the same old crap that I've always got. I've always gotten the stupid trendy phones that are always crap a week later. Currently I have the first edition LG Chocolate phone.

I am not going to be switching Carriers (although I'd like to sometimes), cause Verizon's service is best where I live, and everyone I know has verizon, so IN calling and texting and whatever is easiest.

So I've been looking at the HTC Touch from Verizon. I know it's getting to kind of be an old phone, but I still really like it. It seems to be something that will be good for the next two years until I'd upgrade again. (Unless you guys know of any new phone that's coming out from Verizon soon that will be better.) Now it's not getting that phone that's the problem. It's getting the 45 dollar data service.

I've never paid that much for a phone's service and it seems very steep, but I would like to know what types of things you guys use your data services for. I really don't need to check my email on it, cause I'm at a computer all day everyday during the week.

What else would getting the data plan do for me, that would make it worth the 45 dollars I'd be paying?

Please help me convince myself to get this.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache Helmi 6700 and Mogul 6800, Now Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

medinatwin is becoming a great contributor
Re: Need help convincing myself

I dont think you need any convincing. The touch is a great phone. I personally have the Mogul, with slide out keyboard also known as the XV6800, but Im on the Sprint Network. For my personal use, I use this phone for listening to mp3 music off of my MotoRokr S9 at the gym. I use it to Tether through it for places that I cant get a good wifi signal on my Laptop. I also use it for my son to watch TV on it (thanks to the crack! my sons happy) Also use it to Remote Desktop or even use LOGMEIN remote software to control another PC. I also use my phone for GPS navigation. You will need to get a data plan. I also used it to watch movies on it while traveling to Puerto Rico. But also use it to text, Pic Mail (sMMs - thanx SomeGuyMMS!).
This of course is why I chose this phone, but this is my use. I occasionally use it to play games on it too.

I cant say for you, what you will need it for?

Oh and use it to talk too!

LATE,
TWIN
Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro PPC-6850

JoeBobOneHalf is becoming a great contributor

I personally would go with sprint myself and pay 15 for the internet, but that's just me. This is how you convince yourself. "How much time do you spend on your computer when you get home checking email, myspace, youtube, ect when getting home? is reclaiming that time every day worth 50 cents (well in your case a dollar fifty) a day? It is to me."
PHONE HISTORY: Sony Ericsson T61c> LG VX7000 (Charging Port Broke)>LG vx8500 (Chocolate) X5 (Phone was a piece of ****)> LG vx8600> Samsung u740 (I don't even remember by now)> Samsung u740 (No service)> Samsung u740 (10 Dropped calls daily) (Goodbye Verizon) > PPC6800 Mogul)>Moto Q9c> PPC6800 Mogul > PPC6850 Touch Pro (Plus a PPC6900 just for fun)
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BlindRacer is a n00b

That's kind of what I'm asking. What do I really need it for that could justify 45 dollars a month? A lot of the things don't need the data plan, but what about the data plan is there that can justify that amount (without the need for remote email checking)?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mtkates is keeping up the good workmtkates is keeping up the good work

I have the Sprint Touch and I love it. You can customize it in so many different ways it's like having a new phone every week. I don't know about Verizon's plans, but with sprint they have a $15 data plan for the phone and a separate data plan that costs more (I think it is about $45-$50) if you want to use your phone as a modem for a laptop pc. The $15 dollar plan lets me use unlimited data for my phone. I use the data for internet browsing, e-mail, and GPS with Google Maps.

You may want to ask Verizon about that data plan. It seems high for phone data.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BlindRacer is a n00b

I have asked them. That's how I felt too. There's the 15 dollar VCast that doesn't apply to this phone cause it's a pda/smartphone. Then they have a 30 dollar plan that is only good on a few smartphones (i think the mogul is one of those), then the lowest for everything else is 45 dollars. So the cheapest I can get is the 45 dollar plan, which is really steep just for casual internet browsing and general stuff.

I can get this phone with a pay as you go plan, but that's really expensive if you do anything having to do with data, and if I block the data on it, then I can't picture/flix message (mms message) from it.

There's gotta be a way to have a 15 or 30 dollar plan for minimal usage. Seems like just having an unlimited (max 5 gigs) is a little high as the base data plan.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Nexus S 4G

GuyWithNoLife is becoming a great contributor

Once you get used to having the internet in your pocket, it's difficult to imagine not having it (though not impossible). Being able to search the internet for companies, addresses, phone numbers, etc. from my phone has helped me a bunch of times (not to mention settling bets). Having my work email is a must for me. Other than that, using Google Maps or Live Search helps a lot when looking for locations (or anything while traveling), and using MusicID to identify songs that are playing on the radio/jukebox is always nice (MusicID was ripped off of a cingular device but works with any Windows Mobile phone, and requires data usage). Instant messaging is available if you're into that, plus all the social networking sites, etc.

All the benefits are pretty nice, but the only thing I really require is email (for work, even). I'm on Sprint... if I was on Verizon and not changing carriers, I could live without all the extra benefits of internet to save that $45 a month.

...unless I needed to tether and use it for my laptop to get online from the road (or even from home) on a regular basis. Then I could justify it I suppose.

Sprint Nexus S 4G
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BlindRacer is a n00b

Exactly. I don't need email at all on the phone. That's not a big thing for me. I'd love it to browse the internet, check forums, watch a little youtube, but not really needed for 45 dollars.

If there was a way to get this phone and block the data, but still be able to mms message, it would be great.

Are there programs that can block data on the phone, but can have it allow mms messaging? I have a 5 dollar unlimited text/pics/flix plan and use that daily.

I know you can block data through Verizon, but that blocks the ability to send mms messages, which don't even count as data usage.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BlindRacer is a n00b

Is there some type of program that can block data transfer over the phone? With also allowing mms messaging?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison