PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

Daewoo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PPC-6800 vs XV-6800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Ok, "gay" will offend some. Yes, maybe a better word would be "girly". Honestly on my side, looks is a big factor. If I dont like the looks and color, I just dont buy. Some say that the color is not important, it is to some
I agree with this. I just flashed my dads xv6800 for him and I assumed it was that girly color because he just traded phones with my sister. That is pretty bad. Why would you do that to a device that is so likely to be attractive (in general) to business people? If your target market was high school girls then it would be great.

Mine is alltel and is black and I think it is a better looking device than either the sprint or verizon versions. You cannot go wrong with black for that kind of thing.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6800 :D
Carrier: Verizon

harpua is just getting started

hi. im a junior member here @ ppcgeeks and i would just like to come out of the closet to all of you freakin weirdos. i love my girly xv6800 and my gay acura 3.2cl type s its also blue. all my friends said i should get one in black, to be "cool" .. i didnt realize it was a guy thing. i should've known though, all the girls like it
Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

aight guys we're only calling it gay because its such a departure from what other carriers are doing with the look of their HTC device offerings... look at the tilt, the touch, touch dual, mogul, then look at the vx6800... it just LOOKED dated before it ever even hit the street. imo verizon's marketing dept shot themselves in the foot with the case/ color scheme they greenlighted for this device.
almost every carrier is trying to keep their highend offerings in the safe for business yet futuristic tones of gray black white or silver. if you want color get a $20 plastic case or skin or frakking stickers for all I care... lol
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

correct knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuffcorrect knows their stuff

i don't think it's gay as in homo, but it's gay as in lame.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q9c
Carrier: sprint

1oddmanout is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to 1oddmanout

Social commentary on the changing meanings of words. Remember the Flintstones themesong: "we'll have a gay old time"? Hmm, Barney and Fred . . . . .? Then implying homosexual, and lately, lame. Yeah, I could take offense at the usage, but most of us know it means lame, also.

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

OK this is getting a bit off topic...

And yes, I am offended when you guys call it 'gay'. What the hell. Its just a color and a design. Its not even girly.
How can a person's sexual preference be related to the design of a phone?
Perhaps you could say strange design. Its pretty pathetic that people refer to the word 'gay' for things they don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oddmanout View Post
Social commentary on the changing meanings of words. Remember the Flintstones themesong: "we'll have a gay old time"? Hmm, Barney and Fred . . . . .? Then implying homosexual, and lately, lame. Yeah, I could take offense at the usage, but most of us know it means lame, also.
Well, unfortunately the label 'gay' has found a group of people. Therefore, using that term in reference to a negative term is very offensive.

/end defensive comment.

I don't like the color either. I think it should have been black. If the Sprint version was black like the Alltel, that wold be better.

Last edited by [sammich]; 03-23-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

LOL IMHO you guys keep harping about the color the color is not the (only) problem, the overall look screams 1980.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2, XV6900, XV6700
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Speed_419 is just getting started

Ok, let me start by saying that I was wrong to call it "gay." I have a cousin that is homosexual and he is a cool dude so please don't think that I am ripping on a class of people. To be honest, he was the one that said it looked "gay" so I was just using his terminology. My most significant concern over the phone is that I am business man and I feel that a more conservative looking phone would have been better than blue.
Secondly, what I am really concerned about is actual use-ability. I was wondering if there was a reason that they might have changed the shell and buttons. Maybe the Sprint version has button problems after X number of presses or something. I would be interested to know about that, although it would seem that the Sprint version is the newer version so Verizon's phone is the outdated one even though it took them almost 6 months to release the darn thing. The direction button on the Verizon version doesn't seem to be as nice as the Sprint.
Third, if I didn't like the Verizon version, could I get a Sprint or Alltel version off of eBay or whatever and flash the ROM so that I could use it with Verizon?

Thanks all for the comments so far, and I loved the metro sexual comment. I definitely was LOL when I read that one...

Currently Running
Mighty ROM SE
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_419 View Post
Ok, let me start by saying that I was wrong to call it "gay." I have a cousin that is homosexual and he is a cool dude so please don't think that I am ripping on a class of people. To be honest, he was the one that said it looked "gay" so I was just using his terminology.
Its alright man, I wasn't ripping on anyone. I don't know why I got all defensive and stuff... To be honest, I even say it in certain situations, even though I shoudln't(but hey, I own the rights to the word lol)

I agree with you though, it makes the phone look more like a 'fun' phone than a business phone.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Ok, whatever everyone wants to call it, one thing is for sure for some of us, it does look like a 70 or 80's phone. The color just adds more 70's. And the buttons just adds some 80's.(gay, girlie,homo,outdated ) Whatever everyone calls it, it is rather unattractive.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison