PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

BustedNuts1 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
from Mogul to Touch: Hard transition?

I've read all touch vs mogul threads and while I don't need another comparison, I was just wondering how hard it was going from a hard keyboard to a soft keyboard. Although I do have TouchPal v2 on mogul, I rarely use it. I've been practicing with it the past few days and seem to do ok. How hard was the transition for you in terms of the keyboard?

I'll miss the wifi, but I really don't use it. I really love my mogul and haven't had any problems with it (not a bluetooth user), but the Touch is just so damn cool.

(A little off topic, but should I switch? The mogul meets all my needs and I don't have problems with memory, as I am a memory nazi and run oxios after every closing of a program. However, I have not gotten into MobiTV or XM radio, which I plan to add in the near future. The only reason I really want to switch is due to the Touch's "Cool" factor. It's just so small and sleek. I know that the decision is up to me and will probably get flamed and told to read the other posts, which I have done. My real question before I got off topic was how hard was the transition from hard to on screen keyboard.)

Last edited by BustedNuts1; 03-19-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work
Re: from Mogul to Touch: Hard transition?

i didn't think the switch was that bad. It took alittle getting used to for the first week typing with the soft keyboard, but it's not too bad anymore. I was a bluetooth user so now i feel in heaven not having to worry about where my phone is while i'm listening to music. and i used touchpal for the week i was waiting for the touch as well, but it's much easier with the touch as it doesn't have the lip on the side of the screen which made it really tough to hit the side keys.

Not having to worry about memory is awesome too, I barely ever have less that 50% left, and that's with messaging, opera 9.5 beta, and pocket player going. Which I couldn't have ever done on my mogul.

The Touch is also so small, there was a big difference that I noticed the second I took it out of the box. Also in case you were wondering, battery life for me is just about the exact same as on the mogul.

other than not having gps/rev. A right now, I prefer the Touch.

With all that said, I do have a problem that I think is specific to my touch where I get random freezes doing even simple task such as typing a sms message. I'm gonna go to sprint and see if a new one fixes this. though it just started happening more frequently so I think something may be wrong with the hardware.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

Transition was painless for me. I started using pcm keyboard before, and now I find myself just using the HTC keyboard. Now I don't do much text messaging, but I do write the occasional email, forum post, and registry edit. It does its job, but it's not a physical keyboard.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

zaya is becoming a great contributor

The switch for me was painless. I find that screen interaction is much easier on the Touch because of its Pseudo-flush mounted style. Hitting the soft keys, x-button etc. are very easy. Touch flow is nice. I use SPB Full Screen Keyboard when typing long messages.
You only THINK memory isnt an issue on your Mogul! Once you have your Touch and you disable the built in Task manager, or do Like I did and exclude everything but Internet Explorer you will be blown away by the speed of your new ppc.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started

It took me a couple days to get used to typing on the Touch and about a week until I was better at it than I was with the Mogul. That's using the stock keyboard included with the stock Touch system. IMO it was well worth the minor initial inconvenience. The Touch doesn't have GPS or Rev A yet, but it will in the future. On the other hand, the Mogul will always be grossly underpowered because of that paltry 64mb of ram.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Pre

JBaker is a n00b

I have my "loaner" touch from sprint while waiting on the backordered mogul. and to be honest. I might actually keep the touch. its taking some getting used to. but I really like how stable it is. the typing is still alittle hard, (im only 4 hours in of playing with it) but i think i might like it. i can type one handed again.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

Scooter_in_WI is becoming a great contributor

With the help of SPB Full Screen keyboard, I didn't miss the Mogul at all. In fact, there isn't anything that I miss about it. The Touch is such a better device all around. I get better battery life, it's way smaller, and I never have to do a soft reset just to get back some precious RAM. I LOVE IT!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

I miss my buttons, every last one of em. 128MB RAM is sweet but I need the buttons bad.

Glad to hear some of you like the switch.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo baby
Carrier: sprint

ricchini2007 is becoming a great contributor

with the mogul update the touch is not better. you should have stayed
Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD
Carrier: Rogers

pidsw is a n00b

I have a mogul now. I like it, but I preferred the Touch. Once I had it set up well, it was really fast. My caches were very large and I rarely, if ever hit the ROM/SD for anything.
My Mogul (which I got as a replacement as I lost my touch in a Taxi) does have a lot of buttoms, and some more gadgets out of the box, but I do miss the speed and elegance of the vogue.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison