PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

lwleedy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Used NE2 for iPhone 1 month update

One month ago I went to Verizon store with my New Every 2 credit. Told them I've had a Windows Phone since they came out. What should I buy and why? I am primarily a “Business” user, I’m on the road 2-3 weeks a month

I really wanted a phone with a keyboard I miss my TP2. Assurion replaced it with the Imagio, I hate the Imagio, I restart it at least once a day and I can't type on that crappy keyboard.

Anyway went through every phone in the place spent an hour with the guy. Didn't like the HTC Trophy or Droid, then played with the iPhone. Told the guy I wanted to play with the phone for a little bit and he left (didn’t try to pressure me at all) came back 15 minutes later and asked if I had any questions.

I then found out my NE2 wasn't good till Friday and since I don’t like to make big decisions like that quickly, it worked out. Spent the rest of the day at the computer reading about the iPhone and talking with people I know who have it. Unlike the Imagio users I couldn’t find an iPhone user who didn’t like their phone.

On Friday I bought an iPhone, black 32GB. It took 4 or 5 hours to transfer my 2,700 songs. It transfers the MP3’s without a problem. You have to convert the WMA songs to the Apple format, does it using Drag and Drop.

I'm getting used to iTunes, don't really like it but it works. VZ transferred all my contacts without a problem. I didn’t need him to do that as I have MS Exchange.

The 2 things I use the most on my phone are Exchange for email, calendar contacts etc and Audible.com for listening to books.

Exchange setup was the easiest I've ever done.
1. What is your email address?
2. What is your password?
Next thing I knew it was downloading email and it wanted to know if i wanted to replace the contacts with the ones from exchange. Not trusting the transfer at VZ I said yes. I took about 30 minutes.

Audible.com has an iPhone App that is great!!! 10 times better than the Windows one.

So here are my impressions so far:
1. The screen is GREAT really like it, easy to read, pictures look super
2. Camera is a camera
3. Can’t see my schedule on the screen unless I run the calendar program they say that will be fixed in the version OS 5 release due in a couple of months
4. Phone is a phone
5. Keyboard is better than the Imagio keyboard still wish it had the TP2 style
6. SPELLCHECK built in!!!! Works in Texting and Email
7. Headphone jack works with my Bose Headphones. It’s not different which surprised me
8. Battery life is better than the Imagio
9. Email is easier to read you get more lines on the preview
10. With my contacts, music and books I’ve used 11 GB so far. Glad I got the 32GB version
11. Wish it had a removable Memory Card
12. No Tethering without paying for it or Jail breaking the phone my laptop has a VZ card in it and the pricing has dropped. I may get the $20.00 option for the laptop and forget about using tethering. That way I can talk on the phone and send email at the same time.
13. Had to buy all new JUNK, 110 volt charger (wanted 2),USB cables, 3 car phone chargers, Case (got the Otterbox Defender big but protects it.
14. Assurion costs more went ahead and did it I’m hard on my stuff. Damn Gravity, causes all kinds of problems
15. You can only use one computer to “Sync” to. I decided on my laptop since I have it with me all the time. At home I use my desktop but can hook up the laptop if needed. I haven’t had to hook up my laptop to the phone other than the first day. Everything was done over the air.

There is a learning curve, everything is different
Read the Manual
Then read iPhone forums like they have here or
iPhone Forum
ModMyi Forums
Check some of the iPhone websites
Ask other users what tricks they use

Ask other users what Apps they have and really use. I’ve found a lot of people have a LOT of apps but don’t use them. Here is what I have:
Audible.com
Amazon
Amazon Price Check This is scary let’s say you’re at Best Buy and see something you like. All you have to do is scan the barcode click a button and you bought it from Amazon.
Redlaser (scan’s barcodes and gets prices)
World Card Business Card Scanner with OCR
Delta Airlines
Flight Tracker
Weather Channel
Netflix
Radar Scope shows weather radar anywhere in the country
Quick Office Let’s you open, create & edit Word, Excel & PowerPoint files
Angry Birds

The iPhone is great, I really like it. I don't miss the Imagio at all.

I have not had to "reset" the iPhone once, on my imagio I had to remove the battery 3 or 4 times a week because it locked up.

I do miss my Touch Pro 2 Keyboard and I don't like having to use iTunes to sync it. There is not an easy way to save a file attached to an email you can do it but it's not as easy.

If you're on the fence, make the jump. The iPhone is a lot better

So long and thanks for all the fish

Lenny

Last edited by lwleedy; 07-17-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hehe, you sound like a giggly iDevice virgin .
I've had an iPod Touch since they first came out and its great, even though I don't have an iPhone, so I know what you're describing. Most complain about iTunes but I like it a lot, works just fine, use it everyday.
If the iPhone came to Sprint I would be conflicted indeed. I'm still rocking an ancient Windows Mobile Treo paired with a Galaxy Tab 7, love the Tab to death.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Re: Used NE2 for iPhone 1 month update

well considering your iphone is about 5 years newer than the TP2/Imagio... it better be better lol

for Iphone, you can get app to sync files via wifi though so you don't have to use itunes, or use dropbox

shouldn't this be in phone comparison: but yeah, I got an ipad and I'm impressed with the iOS as well. But I like android a bit more, it lags a little more (not as smooth) but the lack of itunes makes up for it for me
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

hmm interesting thread and out of place too. but I do know for a fact that the HTC trophy runs circles around the iPhony with the mango update installed and even before it. and @DavidinCT can attest to this. my HTC Arrive also trouches the iPhony with the mango update as does any other wp7 device out there @steveo70 ,@dtrush,@GoodThings2Life ,and @Dr.8820 can all attest to this. but since all u care about are apps then the iPhony is perfect for u as it is just an app launcher. @NIKKG and @rainfreak would love this testimonial tho.

Last edited by eric12341; 07-17-2011 at 11:38 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

clueless why this thread is posted in tp2 forum so......
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

@ the op, I'm a business user and WP7, works almost like my TP2 does. There are plenty of tips and tricks to get things like what Windows Mobile does, I am using a USB Enabler program that lets you drag and drop from your PC without using Zune, and much, much more things are coming. In the end, get what works for you, I just wish folks would at least try things for themselves. The app thing is funny...show me 1 person that can load 500,000 apps on 1 phone, that's like saying " I only shop at WalMart because they have the biggest selection"...but how many different bags of fertilizer do you need !
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwleedy View Post
15. You can only use one computer to “Sync” to. I decided on my laptop since I have it with me all the time. At home I use my desktop but can hook up the laptop if needed. I haven’t had to hook up my laptop to the phone other than the first day. Everything was done over the air.
Actually you can sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod with up to five different computers, as long as you are using the same Apple ID. I sync mine to my MacBook Pro and also my Win 7 computer at work.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
@rainfreak would love this testimonial tho.
Why would I love the OP's testimonial? I already own an iPhone and know what is good and bad about it.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Let's not get into a random battle here, you know where you can do that but hijacking this guy's thread isn't cool.

Back to discussion!

Personally I'd take an iPhone 4 over an arrive because:

1) Better battery life

2) Fully working/integrated 3rd party multitasking

3) More/better apps

4) Jailbreak scene (themes, better UI, settings, tweaks)

5) Screen resolution

6) personally i HATE hardware keyboards

7) Folders

8 Tethering

9) change wallpaper

10) better gpu

11) basically the OS is more stable and not at all buggy. Mango RTM will be very close to this but I would much rather rock iOS5 personally.

Having said that I'd take my HD2 over both phones any day of the week (and twice on Thursday) but that's just me.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Let's not get into a random battle here, you know where you can do that but hijacking this guy's thread isn't cool.

Back to discussion!

Personally I'd take an iPhone 4 over an arrive because:

1) Better battery life
battery is replaceable ,lasts as long as I need it to

2) Fully working/integrated 3rd party multitasking
coming as soon as developers release apps for multitasking, I couldn't get this to work on my nephews iTouch or on my cousins iPad2
3) More/better apps
because the iPhone isn't alive until an app is opened making it just an app launcher
4) Jailbreak scene (themes, better UI, settings, tweaks)
wp7 has this too but I dont really care for it as I like my device as is out of the box
5) Screen resolution
WVGA is adequate for most things out and not many things may support the higher resolution
6) personally i HATE hardware keyboards
dont use mine,only took it because its the only wp7 from sprint at the moment. software keyboard is much more accurate too, corrects all my mistakes so I rarely have to use the del key or enter full words

7) Folders
wp7 mango has jumplist and live tiles
8 Tethering
available in wp7 via hack but I don't care for it because my sprint speeds are currently shit
9) change wallpaper
wallpaper can be changed in lockscreen and can adjust according to artist playing
10) better gpu
games dont perform any better than they do on my arrive ,still renders html5 with higher framerate
11) basically the OS is more stable and not at all buggy. Mango RTM will be very close to this but I would much rather rock iOS5 personally.

dont know how it is on your HD2 but my arrive runs circles around my nephews iTouch before and after mango. iOS5 is copying mango verbatim but yet apple sues others for copying them or even using the word apple

Having said that I'd take my HD2 over both phones any day of the week (and twice on Thursday) but that's just me.
@orangekid

I wasn't hijacking the thread nor looking for a fight, my counter points are in bold above.

Last edited by eric12341; 07-18-2011 at 06:42 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison