PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogal then Touch Pro now Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

newt is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Choice between HTC Evo and Samsung Epic - Custom ROM fixes

OK I am trying to decide between a Samsung Epic and HTC Evo for my work device and wanted to get some feedback from those that my use both or have worked to fix some of the Evo's flaws. So on the EVO the main things that concerns me are the HD video quality it seems the FPS are too low and the battery life too short. Are both of these fixable with the custom ROM's? Does anyone have a sample video recorded after the fix?
On the Epic, I am concerned about the GPS lock issue and the download / upload speeds. Anyone know if they have been fixed. I would really like the keyboard but don't know that I can deal with the bugs. Any news on when the EPIC might see Froyo?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Choice between HTC Evo and Samsung Epic - Custom ROM fixes

My battery lasts over 24 hours on the Evo, the Epic is junk. You want junk, go buy an EPIC. If you want a real phone, buy the Evo.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

hmmmm, wonder why we have a phone comparison forums????
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

I initially got the Epic because I was coming from a TP2 and wanted a hardware keyboard. While the phone worked well, I found there to be a few annoyances that made me swap it out for an Evo:

1) I realized I ended up using Swype a lot more than the hardware keyboard. In fact, I barely used the hardware keyboard at all. I also realized that the keyboard would slide out a bit (even do a slight oreo effect) when using swype one handed. Very annoying.

2) Seeing as this was my first android device, I wanted to keep it stock for the most part but root it for a few things (wireless tether, etc.). I guess I just felt a little more warm and fuzzy inside knowing that the hacking community is larger with HTC devices.

3) TouchWiz sucks. The stock dialer sucks. The samsung widgets suck. Esp. since I was coming from a TP2, Sense just made so much more...uh...sense.

4) The battery in the TP2 works in the EVO - I love playing golf so one battery for GPS rangefinder just wont cut it.

5) The build quality feels better with the EVO. More creaking on the Epic. The EVO just feels like a solid device in comparison.

6) Froyo on the EVO, Epic - who knows when (supposedly soon).

7) When using apps from the marketplace - sometimes they dont support Galaxy S phones (for example - Skype didn't work at all for me, but it works on the EVO). I know its a matter of time, but for the time being it appears that the EVO gets more testing from the devs and commenters

FWIW - I didnt experience the GPS issues others have reported with Galaxy S devices. Of course - YMMV.

The Epic does have its advantages of course - better screen, better video recording, better pictures, hardware camera button, UI feels smoother when swiping around screens or scrolling down webpages. It also comes with a 16GB card (EVO comes with , but for most people on this site it probably wont matter.

I hope my recent personal experience helps. Which reminds me - I need to send in that rebate slip!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
My battery lasts over 24 hours on the Evo, the Epic is junk. You want junk, go buy an EPIC. If you want a real phone, buy the Evo.
I love my Evo but im constantly tethered to a power source. How do you get so much time out of yours?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

-MightyMike was here.... true story!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
On the Epic, I am concerned about the GPS lock issue and the download / upload speeds. Anyone know if they have been fixed. I would really like the keyboard but don't know that I can deal with the bugs. Any news on when the EPIC might see Froyo?
The Epic never really had a GPS lock issue..it was confused with the other Galaxy S phones, the Fascinate and Epic has the same GPS chip as the motorola droid unlike its other counterparts...biggest issue people are reporting is the gps average meters being a little high. (even though on the map it looks fairly accurate..its kinda a thing you gotta judge for yourself)...as for Froyo..rumor is Nov 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_MACKIE_00 View Post
....so why does the Epic have better specs? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsnyc View Post
1) I realized I ended up using Swype a lot more than the hardware keyboard. In fact, I barely used the hardware keyboard at all. I also realized that the keyboard would slide out a bit (even do a slight oreo effect) when using swype one handed. Very annoying.
you may have had a bad unit...I also use the touchscreen more often and keyboard for surfing web and writing long emails..and never had this happen.

Quote:
2) Seeing as this was my first android device, I wanted to keep it stock for the most part but root it for a few things (wireless tether, etc.). I guess I just felt a little more warm and fuzzy inside knowing that the hacking community is larger with HTC devices.
Actually out of box the Epic is one of the best devices there is..I personally am still using stock.

Quote:
3) TouchWiz sucks. The stock dialer sucks. The samsung widgets suck. Esp. since I was coming from a TP2, Sense just made so much more...uh...sense.
TouchWiz is a simple interface, its not that bad...but if necessary you can use other Launchers such as Launcher Pro..also both devices can use Android wigets and most of the widgets are Android widgets anyways. Most thing sense offers can be replaced with widgets/apps.

Quote:
5) The build quality feels better with the EVO. More creaking on the Epic. The EVO just feels like a solid device in comparison.
You sure you didn't have a bad unit? not one creek ever..also build quality wise Epic > Evo...watch any teardown video of both and you'll see the difference. Also, Epic has Gorilla Glass >.>

Quote:
6) Froyo on the EVO, Epic - who knows when (supposedly soon).
Samsung announced it in Nov...the rumor though is on Nov 14th

Quote:
7) When using apps from the marketplace - sometimes they dont support Galaxy S phones (for example - Skype didn't work at all for me, but it works on the EVO). I know its a matter of time, but for the time being it appears that the EVO gets more testing from the devs and commenters
At this point its being tested as there are more Galaxy S Phones then there are Evos sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
I love my Evo but im constantly tethered to a power source. How do you get so much time out of yours?
He is obviously not tethering for 24 hours straight lol

Anyways I'm moving this to comparisons forum

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
you may have had a bad unit...
hmpf...maybe I did have a bad unit
TOO LATE! I <3 EVO!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:46 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

thanx gten for explaining to above poster, to the op i had both devices and epic wins in so may ways. best thing to do is look at epic forum for all our threads about stuff thats broke/wont work ect and theres very little issues if any and the 2 i see (gps/bt) are non issues, gps fixed with ota and bt was user error. the evo forums are full of threads with issues.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

jimmy82 is a n00b

You wont be disappointed with either phone. Personal preference on these two devices. If you absolutely need a keyboard, epic is the way to go. I still find it hard to use the onscreen keyboard, coming from the tp2. I don't type that much, so doesn't matter. Screen wise, epic is better, but unless you're anal about, wont matter 99% of the time. All phones have their issues as well as some people like to complain about everything they can find wrong with a phone. No phone is perfect. Again, personal preference.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison