PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon

Kri77777 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MetroPCS Suggestions

Hey all,

We are looking at moving from Verizon to MetroPCS when our contract expires. The price is unbeatable, and the coverage is good enough for what we do (we barely travel, and we stay in the major florida cities).

I don't really know how well phones work with the MetroPCS service. I know they are CDMA as is Verizon. My mother is barely able to use a basic phone and is happy with the cheap Motorola she has, so I want to keep her on that if possible. My father has an older LG smartphone that is also good enough for him.

I am a different story. I have had the Apache in the past and have had the Titan for over a year. I loved these phones (especially with custom firmware). However, my Titan has been through the rounds, runs a bit poor, is beat up, and the keyboard fails. We didn't have internet service on the phones under Verizon (I did use WiFi), but I expect that to at least be a major thing for me, as a tech geek.

I don't know what I should do. Should I keep trying to get by on the phone I have, get a new Titan, get a new(er) Windows Mobile 6/6.1/6.5, get an Android, or wait for a Windows Phone 7 unit.

I MUST have a tactile keyboard, as I just can't use onscreen keyboards very well. It also must have a touch screen (multitouch preferred but not required). Bluetooth is also a must, though I suppose wifi is no longer required since I will finally have web.

I haven't used the Android system but it has shown solid. Windows Phone 7 sounds very tempting from the early reviews, but the price of a new phone may be too high. I don't really have the money to spend and will likely be buying a used phone off of ebay then hacking it. No price is too low.

I just don't know which models to be looking at, from price, performance, hacking capabilities, usability, and MetroPCS capability perspectives. Any recommendations that narrow my search would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kri77777 is a n00b
Re: MetroPCS Suggestions

Please, there must be someone who can recommend strong value.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kri77777 is a n00b

Ok, so here is what I found:

WP7:
No phones scheduled for it and who knows how long it will take for someone to make it work

Android:
HTC Incredible (~$325)
HTC Eris (~$150)
Neither have a keyboard though. Sadness. But if Android is that much better than Windows Mobile, it may be worth it...
Motorola Droid (~$225)
Motorola Droid X (~$550, way too expensive)

Windows Mobile 6.5:
HTC Touch Pro 2 (~$200)
HTC Touch Pro (~$110)
HTC Titan (one I have now or a new one)

I am leaning towards the Eris, but having never used any of these phones outside the Titan, I really need help with suggestions.

Last edited by Kri77777; 09-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

windows 7 isn't out yet.

Basically, any cdma phone, you can metro flash to use with metro.
use craig's list if you can't do it yourself.

phone would need to be individually rooted or unlocked because they are all different.
I suggest picking a phone to your likings and then doing a search on that sub section of that forum.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kri77777 is a n00b

Well, that's my problem, I don't know which phone to get.

Also, anyone know much about the LG Ally. Of all the phones I've seen, this one looks best, but the mod community seems to be skipping it.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Actually MetroPCs isn't really CDMA..they are AWS...they only allow CDMA flash in none-AWS areas...this should probably be the first thing you should check on their website if your are in an AWS area or not..

IF your in an AWS area then I'd suggest getting their LTE phone coming soon >.>..if not and its CDMA I would highly suggest getting a 1ghz phone..also if its CDMA you can also get Sprint phones which are also CDMA like Evo and Epic.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Two-Time Chinaman
Pocket PC: HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: AT&T

PriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to PriYankee

Metro PCS service is horrible, id make sure of how it is in your area before committing. My buddy in sacramento has it and its always dropping calls.
Phone wise, im a blackberry user and they have the blackberry curve, which is not a bad phone.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc 6900 > HTC TP2>Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Metro PCS

pl0323 is keeping up the good workpl0323 is keeping up the good work

I had the Sprint Vogue and the Touch Pro 2 on Metro service in Texas and Florida. As long as you update the PRL (*22 you won't have any problems with dropped calls.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Kri77777 is a n00b

Thanks everyone who gave input. This is what ended up happening:

I found an actual Droid to try and the keyboard was good enough. I needed up going with it because of how much the community has. I found one brand new for $250 and bought it, flashed it, then paid $40 to get the ESN added to MetroPCS's ineventory. So far, I am very happy with it, except that data on Metro is slow as hell, and really only good for text on the web. Still, at $40 a month, I got it for the price, not the features, and most places I can use wifi to do whatever I want. In all, I am pretty happy so far!

Last edited by Kri77777; 09-16-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarify that data is good for text on websites, not texting
Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Which droid did ya get? Sorry I never gave input. Been away a while but I'm back full force :P

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
metropcs, recommendations