PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   EVO not WORTH the switch (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123741)

Noir 06-05-2010 06:15 PM

Re: EVO not WORTH the switch

I think the price difference and program compatibility is a huge selling point for any device. I actually applaud the OP for doing the proper thing and research software compatibility before transferring to a new platform. If only everyone did this though...

I'm happy with my winmo devices. Though a funny paradox is my i730 is quite a powerhouse...even with its old age..

meh well...everyone knows I don't see the fascination with evo 4g when I loom at the incredible and the touch hd2...perhaps I'm too snapdragoned out

redd214 06-05-2010 06:22 PM

guess im just weird then lol. i hate watching tv makes me feel like a bump on a log. even the educational stuff makes me feel like that i dunno why. and i absolutley hate it when my oldest son starts vegging out watch cartoons. i only allow him 2 hours a day, so many more things we could be doing with him. im a sports nut as well trust me but not that much, if im in a place where i cant watch a game ill just check the scores periodically on espn.com but thats it. but like i said diff strokes for different folks.

Noir 06-05-2010 06:28 PM

I love phones now because it gives me a chance to watch some of my lectures I record or some lectures found online for grad school. Its a good option and I think that is one thing the evo 4g is very good at with an 8 mp camera

sufficed to say, htc has another great phone on their hands...Good lord htc just keep hitting home runs in America =/

hidaya 06-05-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1794805)

and sorry to get off topic but you slingbox guys, come on. what televsion show could be that important that you wouldnt even consider another phone because you cant watch tv on it. pick up a book for goodness sakes!!!

thank god! i was reading and wondering what sling box was.. but had not made it to looking it up and felt embarassed to ask ha... thanks:scratch:

redd214 06-05-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1794886)
sufficed to say, htc has another great phone on their hands...Good lord htc just keep hitting home runs in America =/

yes they are. hope the dont get complacent and stay innovative. but with peter chou at the helm i think theyll be ok. i love his vision for where he wants to take htc, hes a very very good ceo!

Omegakai 06-05-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1794833)
not sure i understand your question man. do you mean what do you have to install to personalize it like you want?

for example like the G Alarm app that i must have on my touch pro 2 they have something that is pretty much the same thing. so what im saying if you can have all the apps that you have on your current phone why would you know want to change and then on top get a REAl actual camera and tryout someting new cause im not going to lie flashing different roms throught out the week gets annoying due to the fact that the rom that you previously had starts to lock up or freeze or just becomes glitchy

Noir 06-05-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1794897)
yes they are. hope the dont get complacent and stay innovative. but with peter chou at the helm i think theyll be ok. i love his vision for where he wants to take htc, hes a very very good ceo!

personally waiting to see what's planned for the gsm side for wp7 IMHO! I mean with implication of android fragmentation its tough to say how htc will continue to get hits

jmorton10 06-05-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hidaya (Post 1794887)
thank god! i was reading and wondering what sling box was.. but had not made it to looking it up and felt embarassed to ask ha... thanks:scratch:

Slingbox is hands down the best way to watch live TV on your phone.

When you use SB, it is EXACTLY the same as if you're sitting in front of you home TV setup. If you have 280 cable TV channels, you will get the same on your phone. If you have all the "on-demand" channels, they will work also.

You can be in another country & still watch your own local news etc etc

~John

Merovingian 06-05-2010 06:48 PM

EVO not WORTH the switch

I just wish they don't force specific plans on Win Phone 7. I'm at my wits end already with jealousy and envy at all the cool phones I've had to grit my teeth through and couldn't get because of my old arsed F&F plan from when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Having a cell bill less than $35/month for the past 8yrs (data/pics/SMS/voice) has become a burden as I now have to prepare myself for $80 cell bills once my Treo Pro bites the dust.

I swear I'm hitting up my boss for a raise....

djlenoir 06-05-2010 06:50 PM

I absolutely love to read as well. I actually wish that Amazon would release Kindle for Android so I can read on my phone when I am not at home with my Kindle handy. That is how much I love to read. However, I also just love my Slingbox and will have a hard time living without it until it is released for Android. I travel a lot and it comes in handy when I am at the airport, in a hotel room or whatever trying to catch local news, sports or just a recorded show on my DVR (which is the only way to watch TV).

What are some other 'must have' applications for Android? I really don't want to provoke any debates, just identify the Android applications that are most popular and what the comparable Windows Mobile applications are being replaced for those of us moving from that platform to Android for the first time.

Here are some applications on Windows Mobile I am interested in finding replacements for if they exist.

WMWifiRouter
Microsoft MyPhone
Nanogroove
Worldcard Mobile
Midomi (MusicID)
Arcsoft MMS
TomTom
Microsoft Voice Command
Resco Explorer

redd214 06-05-2010 07:05 PM

@ djlenoir

WMWifiRouter - pdanet, easy tether, if rooted wifi router as well

Microsoft MyPhone - google sync

Nanogroove - grooveshark mobile

Worldcard Mobile - google goggles has the ability to do this. its still pretty beta atm and doesnt always work as well as worldcard mobile yet however. personally ive been looking for a solution as well but havent forund one yet

Midomi (MusicID) - sound hound, shazam

Arcsoft MMS - dunno honestly i dont really send out many mms's

TomTom - stock google nav works flawlessly for me and has voice turn by turn, not sure if tom tom has an android app though

Microsoft Voice Command - native to android 2.1 and up, extra features such as text to speech as well, bt dialing will be added with 2.2

Resco Explorer - astro explorer

redd214 06-05-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1794910)
personally waiting to see what's planned for the gsm side for wp7 IMHO! I mean with implication of android fragmentation its tough to say how htc will continue to get hits

conflipper leaked i think 4 htc wp7 phones a few days ago, i believe 2 are gsm

android fragemntaion is really a by product of the speed at which its being developed. i mean damn 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, now 2.2, and 2.5 (or 3.0 whatever the will call it) in q4 of this year in less than 2 yrs of existence. different from winmos fragmentation (atm) imo but its there nonetheless. i doubt htc will have an issue keeping up though

dtu5 06-05-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1794291)
yes it is the snapdragon proc that makes the difference and when one comes finally to sprint and be a windows mobile phone ill be all over it.i am sorry i can't be like the brownhornet and scam sprint as much as he does.hey he helped a lot on sd with the tp2 and discounts but i can't go as far as him so he can afford the change i can't.

But there will be a win mob 1z soon just like after all the other android releases.

Sprint will wait till the sales start to slow down before they do.which is smart.

yo son i feel you on this tip besides you sayin ol boy scam sprint (smh) lol besides that everything else is legit android and winmo is like mac and pc. Its just a new wave of era. But i am gonna try this phoe out next week before i knock it. But please believe my winmo is still gonna be on my side (unless android is better).

nrfitchett4 06-06-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar369 (Post 1794262)
UH, kinda wrong there buddy! That's correct but not entirely!

If I remember correctly the TP2 and the Hero using the exact same processor...if not than something similar......and EVERYONE who has used or owns a Hero knows that it functions A LOT BETTER than the Touch Pro 2!

On the other hand......go and ask some poeple who owns a HD2 their take own it.........I heard some gripes about that phone too!

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything Doctor!

i'll be happy to put my tp2 against any HERO out there. I promise my tp2 is faster.
we'll start with typing out an email....

SporkLover 06-06-2010 12:43 AM

Some people care too much about other people's opinions

nrfitchett4 06-06-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1794268)
LMAO @ they banded together to come over and tell us why they'd rather keep their tp2. I guess we should all take our evos back now and downgrade.

yeah, we get it. you get every new phone and all other phones are POS's. Just like when the nexus one came out, and the tp2 came out, and the tp1 came out.....

nrfitchett4 06-06-2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticklemepinks (Post 1794467)
lol i wanna know how to tether right now!!!! how u do it?

you pay 30.00 a month.

nrfitchett4 06-06-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1794910)

there is already so much fragmentation going on. How many devices can't get the 2.1 upgrade? not all can run google nav or other apps. It's fragmenting much faster than winmo ever did. makes you wonder if it will suffer the same fate, only faster.

nrfitchett4 06-06-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1794913)

When you use SB, it is EXACTLY the same as if you're sitting in front of you home TV setup. If you have 280 cable TV channels, you will get the same on your phone. If you have all the "on-demand" channels, they will work also.

~John

what kind of internet connection do you have? I'm guessing all that uploaded video would strain my internet.
And I'm guessing that while you are actively watching your cable on sling player, someone at home can't be watching something different on that TV. Is this correct?

NIKKG 06-06-2010 01:10 AM

Whoever is gonna ditch the TP2 for the Evo is a sellout.

Dr.8820 06-06-2010 01:42 AM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1794913)

~John

what kind of internet connection do you have? I'm guessing all that uploaded video would strain my internet.
And I'm guessing that while you are actively watching your cable on sling player, someone at home can't be watching something different on that TV. Is this correct?

I hope I didn't get both quotes, but with a slingbox pro hd you can stream whatever and not affect the tv. slingbox solo will.

rdcrds 06-06-2010 01:48 AM

I would ditch the tp2 for a faster snapdragon Proc win mob phone for sprint but it will be awhile.The TP2 has not been out that long.And the whole point of this thread when i started it was the worth.I should have put $$$'s cause that is my point.

2 things make me not get a EVO

1.Slingbox got to have it no if and or butts.

2.Price for a new plan.I pay right now after discounts 140$ per month for 7 lines with every perk you can think of and more.When i call into sprint and ask them they look at my plan and say i would never give it up.

The only way i could add one would be to open a new plan and have 2 plans on my account.I have unlimited spending and been with sprint for over 10 years.

So when they come out with a new windows mobile phone ill be there.

jbearamus 06-06-2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1795749)

except the windows phones will be consistently connected to data like android is so they'll probably require the everything data plans anyway

ETphoneHOME 06-06-2010 02:37 AM

Does the Evo work with SERO?

SporkLover 06-06-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1794779)
The Android users are the ones who do not understand what you can do and not do with the tp2.

SM is a must and it will be years before they get it on Android.And for the last time i said nothing bad about the EVO other then it is not worth the money to upgrade your plan if you have a great old family plan.

But to attack my typing is so old school all i can say is **** OFF

Kind of sad to lump people into categories. I'm a Android User, and still own my old TP2.

There isn't a gap to speak of in terms of what each platform can and can't do. The differences are really down to software available for install.

And one correction, as of the beginning of May, Slingbox Mobile has been in beta testing for Android. I wouldn't be surprised if it was released soon.

There are video's floating around of it on various Android phones.

Fan boi'isms on both sides of the line are silly. It really comes down to preference, and perhaps in a few users cases.... whether or not they want to give up legacy priced plans.

jbearamus 06-06-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETphoneHOME (Post 1795812)
Does the Evo work with SERO?

no has to be on an everything data or from what i hear EVRP or something abbreviated like that which is basically the new sero

xicloe 06-06-2010 03:48 AM

I dont't realy care about WM or Android, I just wanna a new phone with the bigger processor and memory with a hardware keyboard, that's it, I'll buy EVO or whatever the phone with the snapdragon and the hardware keyboard. :headbang::headbang::headbang:

wildpig 06-06-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar369 (Post 1794198)
Not trying to be disrespectful but I've had my EVO for only about 30 hours now and "I feel" like I have done A LOT more on this phone than I have ever did throughout the whole time I was on Windows Mobile!

Can you please explain?!

all of us like new things. we all play around with new toys but can y say that 30 days or 30 wks ?

from my viewpt, there are many wm apps i am using right now that may in the future be avail on android but be a good while. i care much less about social apps and more about things like tethering options (at least 3 ways on tp2), aviation moving map software and flight planing (am private pilot. tp2 is the last bkup if my pc nav goes dwn), street nav (igo8 which wont be on android for a while because every1 on android is so happy using google map till they are in poland and it no longer work).

clearly, we are unfortunately the minority. i guess the history lesson unfortunate is that the ignorance mass will win at the poll and by the time every1 figured it out, it's too late..(i can name several historical examples but we probaly can all name one)...

wm free development tool is a good thing, but the overall direction ms is going, there are several things wrong and we all know it, unfortunately it all comes down to ignorant mass and what they want and their lack of knowledge (that can be taken advantage of) that drives it alll.

jmorton10 06-06-2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1795670)

I have the SlingBox Pro which has dual tuners, I have two inputs to pick from in the Sling Mobile software (my HUD Cable box or my analog cable feed}

If I pick the analog feed, I can't get the premium channels (HBO, on-demand channels etc etc) but it can be set to a completely different channel than the home TV.

I like to mess with my 9 yrs old Daughter occasionally however, I know it is her watching if the Disney channel pops up & I start remotely changing the channel on her until I get a real annoyed phone csll.........
~John

jbearamus 06-06-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xicloe (Post 1795870)
I dont't realy care about WM or Android, I just wanna a new phone with the bigger processor and memory with a hardware keyboard, that's it, I'll buy EVO or whatever the phone with the snapdragon and the hardware keyboard. :headbang::headbang::headbang:

on Verizon, check out the LG Fathom
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/LG-F...ne-p_4369.html

redd214 06-06-2010 09:31 AM

i checked out the fathom and wasnt really impressed by it. the snapdragon prevented a bit of lag but it def wasnt the speed i was expecting. wasnt much faster than a tp2 or an imagio and the keyboard doesnt hold a candle to the tp2's. no sense either of course, just plain old titanium. its a decent phone but i dont think its much of an upgrade from the tp2 honestly.

Capone 06-06-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1795682)
Whoever is gonna ditch the TP2 for the Evo is a sellout.

Coming from the guy who ditched the TP2 for a Nexus One?

lolwut

mjh8812 06-06-2010 10:29 AM

the hero wasnt enough to make me switch from the TP2 as the on screen keyboard is so small and the processor speed wasnt any better..ive played with the Evo as i am a sprint service and repair technician and i must say the onscreen keyboard is much easier to use and the speed is like night and day compared to the TP2 and unlike Windows. android usually stays fast for 1 or 2 days whereas with my TP2 i find myself soft resetting every 13 or 14 hours..the only issue i see with the Evo is that they used the same battery as the TP2 meaning battery life will virtually be cut in half from the Touch pro 2. it will be almost like the TP1 days of carrying around 2 batterys..lucky for me i have 2 TP2 batterys lol that could be used with the EVO..

deadwrong03 06-06-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1794160)
Well since someone from here had to come to the TP2 forum and say how great the evo is i thought i would come and let people know about the tp2.First off NO SLINGBOX if you do not use it fine but it is a must for me.

Also 50$ more per month.I am not going to give up my 140$ 7 line plan and pay 50$ more fopr a phone that is only the next new thing.

If you use your phone as a computer then sop be it but again it is a phone.

My TP2 side by side was not much different.Yes it is faster then the tp2 but it should be with the new proc.

Again if it does not up your bill fine

i dont really care much for android but u do know that slingbox is coming to android over this summer right?

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/05/2...eta-preview-2/

DeMiNe0 06-06-2010 12:27 PM

I'm really on the Fence over the Evo. The Mogul was my first real smart phone, and As a Former TP and current TP2 user, I'm still in the frame of mind that Window Mobile can do SO much, that I'll have a hard time moving to Android. For example.... Exchange functionality is pretty important to me, and I also like the Freedom that I have with customizing Windows Mobile.

I've been looking around the internet, and Have been delighted to see that there are several alternatives for most of the apps I use on Windows Mobile.. So that a great thing...

Honestly, the thing thats keeping me from running out right this second and getting an Evo to try out, are two things:

1. I would really like to be able to easily switch between my Evo and TP2 if for some reason I found a bug, or I needed to use my TP2 for something. I'm not sure if Sprint has an easy way to switch between what phone your number is active on.

2. I'm pretty sure, if the Evo Launch is anything like the TP2's... Every sprint store within a 2 hour drive will be sold out for the next 2 months. haha. Maybe sprint smartened up though, and made sure to have HTC send each store an extremely larger order.

nutymez 06-06-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeMiNe0 (Post 1796275)
I'm really on the Fence over the Evo. The Mogul was my first real smart phone, and As a Former TP and current TP2 user, I'm still in the frame of mind that Window Mobile can do SO much, that I'll have a hard time moving to Android. For example.... Exchange functionality is pretty important to me, and I also like the Freedom that I have with customizing Windows Mobile.

I've been looking around the internet, and Have been delighted to see that there are several alternatives for most of the apps I use on Windows Mobile.. So that a great thing...

Honestly, the thing thats keeping me from running out right this second and getting an Evo to try out, are two things:

1. I would really like to be able to easily switch between my Evo and TP2 if for some reason I found a bug, or I needed to use my TP2 for something. I'm not sure if Sprint has an easy way to switch between what phone your number is active on.

2. I'm pretty sure, if the Evo Launch is anything like the TP2's... Every sprint store within a 2 hour drive will be sold out for the next 2 months. haha. Maybe sprint smartened up though, and made sure to have HTC send each store an extremely larger order.

Well your #1 reason is easy.. Just go to Sprint.com and go to activate new device and you can easily switch between 2 devices.. Takes about 5 mins and you can do it how many times you like..

Number 2 is a little more difficult.. I bought mine from Best Buy and they were sold out.. A friend of mine says they still have a few in his store but that was like yesterday morning so I don't know they may be out by now..

DeMiNe0 06-06-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutymez (Post 1796313)
Well your #1 reason is easy.. Just go to Sprint.com and go to activate new device and you can easily switch between 2 devices.. Takes about 5 mins and you can do it how many times you like..

Number 2 is a little more difficult.. I bought mine from Best Buy and they were sold out.. A friend of mine says they still have a few in his store but that was like yesterday morning so I don't know they may be out by now..

Number 1 is great news. So great infact, that It just made me take the plunge and order the Evo from sprint.

Number 2, isn't very good :P. I called 18 stores in my area, including best buy. They are all sold out. I ordered online. Hopefully it'll ship quickly.

Bootup 06-06-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1795749)
I would ditch the tp2 for a faster snapdragon Proc win mob phone for sprint but it will be awhile.The TP2 has not been out that long.And the whole point of this thread when i started it was the worth.I should have put $$$'s cause that is my point.

2 things make me not get a EVO

1.Slingbox got to have it no if and or butts.

2.Price for a new plan.I pay right now after discounts 140$ per month for 7 lines with every perk you can think of and more.When i call into sprint and ask them they look at my plan and say i would never give it up.

The only way i could add one would be to open a new plan and have 2 plans on my account.I have unlimited spending and been with sprint for over 10 years.

How long have you been working for Microsoft?

jbearamus 06-06-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1796029)
i checked out the fathom and wasnt really impressed by it. the snapdragon prevented a bit of lag but it def wasnt the speed i was expecting. wasnt much faster than a tp2 or an imagio and the keyboard doesnt hold a candle to the tp2's. no sense either of course, just plain old titanium. its a decent phone but i dont think its much of an upgrade from the tp2 honestly.

i haven't played with one, my brother was telling me about him playing with it and he said it was fast but then again at the time he was comparing it against his mogul, now that he has the evo i'm sure he'll sing a different tune

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capone (Post 1796050)
Coming from the guy who ditched the TP2 for a Nexus One?

lolwut

and to top that, his information currently lists an iphone :angry7:

jbearamus 06-06-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeMiNe0 (Post 1796275)

Thanks to the smart people at HTC, the Evo supports MS Exchange, the only problem is it won't do tasks. contacts, calendar and email you're made in the shade. in fact when you go to add a non gmail email account the first thing it asks is Exchange or Other POP/IMAP

your 1. sprint.com with master account login or call CS, i called in to do a swap on friday morning and they got it done fairly quickly for me
your 2. i'm sure Evo sales are destroying the TP2 sales. i dropped some numbers in another thread somewhere but yesterday afternoon radioshack released 500 Evos for direct order fulfillment and they were gone in about 6 hrs, so if you're gonna take to plunge, call around and try to make arrangements, radioshack is doing another round of guaranteed preorders through tomorrow to be delivered by the 11th so call ahead and make sure they can still sign you up