PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   EVO not WORTH the switch (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123741)

rdcrds 06-05-2010 01:05 PM

EVO not WORTH the switch

Well since someone from here had to come to the TP2 forum and say how great the evo is i thought i would come and let people know about the tp2.First off NO SLINGBOX if you do not use it fine but it is a must for me.

Also 50$ more per month.I am not going to give up my 140$ 7 line plan and pay 50$ more fopr a phone that is only the next new thing.

If you use your phone as a computer then sop be it but again it is a phone.

My TP2 side by side was not much different.Yes it is faster then the tp2 but it should be with the new proc.

Anyway if you have the money fine but it is NOT worth the switch and pay that much more per month for this phone.

Again if it does not up your bill fine

jbearamus 06-05-2010 01:13 PM

Re: EVO not WORTH the switch

fair points
although you may want to change your title and put the emphasis on NOT instead of WORTH :D

Mswezey 06-05-2010 01:15 PM

its just not the processor that makes it faster, its the OS. Android is written way better than Win Mobile was

radar369 06-05-2010 01:15 PM

LMAO! You must be the guardian of the Touch Pro 2 forums?! LMAO!

rdcrds 06-05-2010 01:18 PM

Yeah but it can't do as much as windows does right now.Maybe down the line but right now the OS does not do as much as the tp2

LoungeLizard 06-05-2010 01:19 PM

I went ahead and changed my plan because we could not get any new phones on my old F&F plan. I hated to give it up, but that's just the way it goes. Getting the Evo was just gravy on top of the any mobile any time and no data cap. If you are happy with your TP2, that's great, I hope it gives many more years of great service.

radar369 06-05-2010 01:19 PM

And OP....while you are trying to....well...do whatever you are trying to do with this thread someone already thanked that guy for posting that there..........I don't think anybody will thank you here (I would though)!

jacker 06-05-2010 01:20 PM

Were the misspellings to make your post even more unattractive to read?

Well , good job then.

Inimical 06-05-2010 01:21 PM

I'm starting to agree with you. Had to give up my EPRP to get this phone, paying $20/more a month will sting...UNLESS the discounts I have on my account make up for the difference and the increase in price is negligible. I've got 30 days, I'll review my bill when it comes out and make the decision to return then.

radar369 06-05-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds
Yeah but it can't do as much as windows does right now.Maybe down the line but right now the OS does not do as much as the tp2

Not trying to be disrespectful but I've had my EVO for only about 30 hours now and "I feel" like I have done A LOT more on this phone than I have ever did throughout the whole time I was on Windows Mobile!

Can you please explain?!

Dr.8820 06-05-2010 01:24 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

I've got popcorn and beer, this is gonna get good and ugly.

chino331 06-05-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1794199)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

lol, kinda of early for beer. :D

I've had the Evo since last night, and my opinion is that it's FAR superior than the TP2. Not freezing, no lockup, running smooth. And I have the Seido 1750mAH battery, which lasts A LOT longer than the stock.

rdcrds 06-05-2010 01:29 PM

No reason to get ugly.I said if you have the money or if it does not cost you more then so be it.I am not here saying it is crap.I am saying it is not worth the 50$ a month more of my bill it would cost me.If my bill did not go up i would get 1 and still keep my tp2 for Slingbox.

But Android does not support it yet and that is a must for me.All im saying is it is not worth the switch from a good priced plan.

farrellcollie 06-05-2010 01:29 PM

Coming from the tp (1 not 2) - this thing is fantastic

x10guy 06-05-2010 01:30 PM

I have a TP2 and have absolutely no plans to switch to an Evo (primarily because of the montly cost increas).

But that being said, why even start a thread like this. I'm a fellow TP2 user but this thread just really has "sour grapes" written all over it. If you prefer your TP2 (I like it too), that's fine. Why start an unecessary flame war over it?

Even though I don't have an Evo I think it's a great device and the launch is the most exciting thing that has happened to Sprint in like 5 years.

mlin 06-05-2010 01:30 PM

There are a few things that I miss about WM now that I am on Android, but I am sure it will only be a matter of time before these issues are addressed.
1- Ability to individually set sounds/vibration for all notifications on the phone.
2- MS Exchange syncing my tasks.

Thats it for now.

I really like the EVO, it is a fantastic phone, and I must say I enjoy using it more than my TP2 (so far). However, this is not due to the OS and more so due to the phone. I had the Moment for a litle while and absolutely hated it, I much rather preferred my TP2 to the Moment.

Dr.8820 06-05-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chino331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1794199)

lol, kinda of early for beer. :D

I've had the Evo since last night, and my opinion is that it's FAR superior than the TP2. Not freezing, no lockup, running smooth. And I have the Seido 1750mAH battery, which lasts A LOT longer than the stock.

its 5 o'clock somewhere lol. and you're correct, its not the os making it fast, its the snapdragon. but no one is going to want to hear that lol.

Riley 06-05-2010 01:35 PM

I think its way too early to tell if its a mistake to upgrade or not. If certain things like sling are a deal breaker, that's personal preference and so be it. Overall coming from the tp2, it's going to be a transition. There are some things I've noticed that don't work for me on the evo and work on the tp2. The are also things that the evo does much better, web browsing for one (even in 3g) is much faster for me. I haven't had the time to research them to determine if there is an app that will change that. I'm betting/hoping there is. :) For one, need to find a coreplayer type player for android. Anyway, the tp2 is a great device as well and I personally would be happy with either one.

rdcrds 06-05-2010 01:37 PM

And there will be a snapdragon for windows phones AKA not having to change plans coming down the road

kiesow567 06-05-2010 01:38 PM

I can understand how the Evo might not be worth it to you, but for me totally worth it. The only change in my service plan is the extra $10 per month, and I'm coming from the Touch, so I was in definite need of an upgrade. I wouldn't have gotten the Evo if I had to pay up and extra $50 per month. I don't know what phone (if any) would be worth an extra $600 per year.

jbearamus 06-05-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1794213)
1- Ability to individually set sounds/vibration for all notifications on the phone.
2- MS Exchange syncing my tasks.

to what extent are you looking for "individually"? like for a different sound per notfication per person or what?

and task sync is tricky because android doesnt have a task manager built into it, hopefully someone will have an app that can sync exchange for maybe google will catch on that they'll need it to really go after enterprise customers. i have several android customers that ask me for updates every couple of weeks

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 1794226)
And there will be a snapdragon for windows phones AKA not having to change plans coming down the road

except that those phones will also have WP7 which probably will require an everything data plan

fusion 06-05-2010 01:40 PM

I have both phones, the Evo destroys the TP2, yeah I don't get to use my slingbox yet but do you really think that they aren't going to come out with an app for it? My bill only went up 10 bux a month and I could care less because the Evo provides much more entertainment and functionality and is well worth the additional money. The TP2 is a rock solid phone but it just can't compete with the Evo, IMO.

dumpringz 06-05-2010 01:42 PM

i think its an amazingly fast device .. without a doubt it runs laps around tp2 as far a speed & stability . . . what got me a little irked is the keyboard, as if you been reading threads i have mentioned .. i also wish there was a free app that allowed editing of excel documents .. im far from broke but jeez lol

Dr.8820 06-05-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcrds

im using one now :). of course the hd2 runs circles around the tp2, but they both have the same os....so I am going to say snapdragon is the difference.

radar369 06-05-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820
its 5 o'clock somewhere lol. and you're correct, its not the os making it fast, its the snapdragon. but no one is going to want to hear that lol.

UH, kinda wrong there buddy! That's correct but not entirely!

If I remember correctly the TP2 and the Hero using the exact same processor...if not than something similar......and EVERYONE who has used or owns a Hero knows that it functions A LOT BETTER than the Touch Pro 2!

On the other hand......go and ask some poeple who owns a HD2 their take own it.........I heard some gripes about that phone too!

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything Doctor!

havoc911 06-05-2010 01:50 PM

I have a slingbox also and it does suck that I can't added to the Eco.

adenicol 06-05-2010 01:51 PM

For me this was a good economical decision...I had my 500 minute plan with data, text, etc for $35 a month BUT I also had a data card at $60 a month and it was a USB card, not wi-fi. So with this phone I am paying $80 a month . So this is actually saving me about $15 a month. Plus I can still tether this phone until someone comes out with a fix for the free wi-fi tethering.

People want to make a big deal about the extra $10 for the EVO plan, well for me saving $15 is a big deal too.

brownhornet 06-05-2010 01:51 PM

LMAO @ they banded together to come over and tell us why they'd rather keep their tp2. I guess we should all take our evos back now and downgrade.

radar369 06-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

The OP has been behaving with flying colors so far.....no bashing or calling anyone out of their names or anything like that...........he's good! Really don't see why it would if we keep going at this pace...............and you got it backwards.........it's PEANUTS and beer.....popcorn and beer is SOOOO NASTY! :laughing6:

Mswezey 06-05-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1794268)
LMAO @ they banded together to come over and tell us why they'd rather keep their tp2. I guess we should all take our evos back now and downgrade.

ha i haven't even upgraded yet and i don't wanna do that!

I'd say "screw you buddy!" but of course in the nicest way possible

Dr.8820 06-05-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar369
Quote:

UH, kinda wrong there buddy! That's correct but not entirely!

If I remember correctly the TP2 and the Hero using the exact same processor...if not than something similar......and EVERYONE who has used or owns a Hero knows that it functions A LOT BETTER than the Touch Pro 2!

On the other hand......go and ask some poeple who owns a HD2 their take own it.........I heard some gripes about that phone too!

Not trying to be disrespectful or anything Doctor!

no problem here bro, I always enjoy a level-headed convo. but if someone said the hero was faster than the tp2, please pass whatever they're smoking this way!

timtlm 06-05-2010 01:58 PM

It won't be long before slingbox is on android:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/s...-on-an-evo-4g/

brownhornet 06-05-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1794282)

no problem here bro, I always enjoy a level-headed convo. but if someone said the hero was faster than the tp2, please pass whatever they're smoking this way!

I had both and the hero WAS faster minus the text freezes and SOD... had an HD2 also and got 5 SOD's fresh out of the box the first day I had it.

rdcrds 06-05-2010 02:02 PM

Yes it is the snapdragon Proc that makes the difference and when one comes finally to sprint and be a windows mobile phone ill be all over it.I am sorry i can't be like the brownhornet and scam sprint as much as he does.Hey he helped a lot on SD with the tp2 and discounts but i can't go as far as him so he can afford the change i can't.

But there will be a win Mob 1z soon just like after all the other Android releases.

Sprint will wait till the sales start to slow down before they do.Which is smart.

brownhornet 06-05-2010 02:05 PM

Dude what the F*CK are you talking about??? I bought my damn phone CASH at full retail price. Go sit down somewhere and stop embarassing yourself.

Dr.8820 06-05-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1794282)

I had both and the hero WAS faster minus the text freezes and SOD... had an HD2 also and got 5 SOD's fresh out of the box the first day I had it.

I've had my hd2 since new and haven't had those problems. but I know you didn't give it much of a chance because you loathe winmo :).

TheHoard 06-05-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Dude what the F*CK are you talking about??? I bought my damn phone CASH at full retail price. Go sit down somewhere and stop embarassing yourself.
Uh oh, here comes the ugly...

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the Evo. I'm coming from a Winmo phone too (not the TP2) and I'm so glad to be done with Winmo. It's a royal pain in the arsehole and I had constant problems with it. People like to complain about the Android not having an app for this or an app for that, but the Android market is growing at an exponential rate and is expected to overtake the Apple app store as far as number of apps available. Give it a little time and I bet you'll be able to find everything you could possibly want on an Android device and then some.

jbearamus 06-05-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1794268)

i'm just on the sidelines watching and commenting, off topic usually,
but even though i have a TP2 my support is in favor of the Evo, faster and more stable

also, if we're going to start dividing into teams may I suggest everyone changes their device information so we know who has what

clockcycle 06-05-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inimical (Post 1794193)
I'm starting to agree with you. Had to give up my EPRP to get this phone, paying $20/more a month will sting...UNLESS the discounts I have on my account make up for the difference and the increase in price is negligible. I've got 30 days, I'll review my bill when it comes out and make the decision to return then.

I am on EPRP. I do have to psy $10 more for premium data access.

-CC

radar369 06-05-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Actually what they're smoking is a new drug that just hit the streets a couple years ago labeled "Android-Euphoria!" Its a highly contagious drug that's sweeping the world right off of its feet! Its 100% safe to use and its not illegal in any regards! They have different flavors too......the latest being a tasty substance name "Froyo!" Other flavors include "Donut", "Eclair" and "Cupcake!" All these treats are made with a sugar substitute called "Linux" and is culinized to perfection for the general public to further the process of world domination! (sorry bunny) :laughing3: