PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Evo 4G Vs. Incredible video quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub186 View Post
He has a Droid Incredible and feel a ways about it. Like I said this post was not to degrade the phone, but made to show the quality of the htc Evo camera over the next best phone available IMO. It was also to show this difference in quality to a standard video compared to a 720p vid.

Also, I never knew everyone had an HDTV or monitor at there home. A lot of people still don't have cable. Where have I been?
I would be willing to bet that at least 80% of the people that view this web site have an HD monitor on their computer. I'm sure yours is too. Just look at the resolution of your computer display and I'm sure it's at least 1280 x 720.

I know I'm going to get flamed for linking Wikipedia, but I really don't feel like putting too much time into this right now.

This is a bit of a stretch, but In 1990 XGA was introduced, while this isn't a typical wide screen HD monitor we're use to looking at today, it's still capable of displaying HD resolutions. Maybe not your typical 720p HD resolution, but still HD.

Link

More realistically, as newone757 pointed out, most computer monitors could display an image of at least 1280 x 800 several years ago.

SVGA was introduced in 1998 supporting a resolution of 1280 x 1024. That's definitely capable of 720p HD content. Letterboxed HD content, but still HD.

And it has nothing to do with the current phone that I have. I'm just pointing out some facts. I would love to own an EVO, but I'm not switching carriers just for a phone when I know that a better version will be out in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
he may have been exaggerating with the 15 years thing but i get what he was saying. Most COMPUTER MONITORS have been at HD or above resolution for years, it was just before HD was even a catch phrase to sell things. My old monitor from like 7-8 years ago was 1280x800 which is enough to display 720p. but that still doesnt mean EVERYONE can experience hd nowadays. but if you still use an actual pc monitor that cant its pretty sad
Thank you. You actually get what I was trying to point out.

Pretty much anyone with a PC that's capable of running Windows XP or newer can most likely view HD content.

Last edited by whetzel; 05-29-2010 at 04:53 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

The way I see it, it works, looks alright and will do the job for a quick video capture. That what it is for, not replacing a HD camcorder. The 8mp sensor on the Evo is 1/10 the size of a HD camcorder...so its to be expected that the quality isn't up to par. Either way I'm happy that the camera has semi good quality compared to most phones. Put the Evo up against the Touch Pro 2 camera, spanks it hands down....so for me thats the cherry on the sundae.

Has anyone compared still picture quality from both the Incredible and Evo? I think thats a bit more important than video.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4g / Touch_Pro2

captblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
The way I see it, it works, looks alright and will do the job for a quick video capture. That what it is for, not replacing a HD camcorder. The 8mp sensor on the Evo is 1/10 the size of a HD camcorder...so its to be expected that the quality isn't up to par. Either way I'm happy that the camera has semi good quality compared to most phones. Put the Evo up against the Touch Pro 2 camera, spanks it hands down....so for me thats the cherry on the sundae.

Has anyone compared still picture quality from both the Incredible and Evo? I think thats a bit more important than video.
i think most of the disappointment is the way sprint is advertising the features. they claim that you can record in 720p and while technically that is correct, it is not what most people (especially if you own an hd camcorder) would consider high definition.

sprint has gotten what it wants from this device. BUZZ and lots of it. even if it doesnt deliver all that is promised sprint will take the opportunity to puff up and say we delivered the goods.

even if the goods are 1/10th the size...

(wonder how many 30 day returns there will be as result of spec sheet claims not meeting real world expectations?)

^
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

Oh, and for anyone who wants to check out the videos themselves instead of still shots, here are the links to the videos.

EVO Video
Incredible Video
Old 05-29-2010, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Scotty_Two is keeping up the good workScotty_Two is keeping up the good work

has anybody taken a video at VGA (640x480) resolution on the EVO? is it even possible to down the resolution on it? i would assume (and hope) the the quality and frame rate would be much better. this is what i want to see.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_Two View Post
has anybody taken a video at VGA (640x480) resolution on the EVO? is it even possible to down the resolution on it? i would assume (and hope) the the quality and frame rate would be much better. this is what i want to see.
yea id like to see that too. There is no situation where id want a jittery 720p vid over a smooth VGA vid. what good is HD if its nothing but a motion blur mess?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Totally agree w/ Scotty_Two
I hadn't seen the video comparisons before, but after seeing the pictures posted here I watched the videos. Those videos would make me prefer the Incredible over the EVO too. In fact, the pictures on this thread make me prefer the Incredible. That shadow on that guys face makes the video totally useless. So I watched the videos and I think part of the problem was the fact that the EVO is actually tilted up so the lens is actually getting more affects of the sunlight. Maybe that's what cause his face to be almost unrecognizable. At least I'm hoping. It's kind of like when you try to take a picture or video of someone standing by a window w/ sunlight behind them. The camera tries to adjust because it detects the sunlight, but it ends up putting too much shadow on everything else.

@Whetzel - I was going to post almost the same thing regarding HD on pc's being around since the 90's. I was even going to link that same Wiki page.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Moved to Phone Comparison

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
comparison, evo, incredible, pics, video