PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Boxt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIQ
I had something happen with a phonecall and it might have had something to do with this. I haven't had time to try to reproduce it but here's the scenario:

My wife was on a phone call for a while on my Treo. The call mysteriously dropped and next thing I know it's dialing out to update the weather (Xcast). Is there a connection or is it coincidence?
Maybe a fluk.Xcast has been being used for over 4 months and ive never heard of that ever happening to anyone.I would say theres about a 100% chance of that not happening using TA.It was caused by solmething else.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)
Carrier: Sprint

DavidIQ is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ
That's what I thought. I really love that feature of this software. Have a question about it though.

At the end of the XCast there is a @7p or 8p, etc. What's it there for? To let me know when it will update next? It makes it seem like the word before it is somehow connected to the word preceeding it. It currently says "Shower@8p".

I also notice that it might be doing something if I click on it. Could I suggest maybe adding an update feature on click? That way it would update when I click on it. Whaddaya say?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Boxt is a n00b
"Shower@8p". meaning there are showers in your local forcast to happen around 8pm.
The last time it updated is displayed at the beginning

one click update hmm that could happen in the near future
Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)
Carrier: Sprint

DavidIQ is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ
I've never heard of a forecast that tells you what time it's going to rain. And if it's the weather provided at http://xcast.com/defaulttemplate.asp?inav=weather then I don't see where they mention the time it's going to rain...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Boxt is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIQ
I've never heard of a forecast that tells you what time it's going to rain. And if it's the weather provided at http://xcast.com/defaulttemplate.asp?inav=weather then I don't see where they mention the time it's going to rain...
It,s an estimated time that xcast snags from the weather info provider in data retrieval .As you will find out it,s not always right.It,s kind of like watching your local weather.The weather man says he expects the storms to roll in around 2:00pm hmmm how many times are they wrong ? lol lol...A few times in my area f,sure But it is kind of handy to know it can rain around a certain time so that read is added
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Lurker

redhat is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey Boxt, great new program. I'm just back from a few weeks in Europe and really missed my (Sprint) Treo. Found TREO ALERT while catching up on what's new here. Install and configuration were smooth and it's working perfectly.

Two suggestions I have for you so far:

1) I like the weather rotating with other stuff, but I don't like the source of the weather reports. They consistently have the temp about 8-10 degrees too high - not sure why that happens. (The Weather Channel is also reporting the humidity at 15% for me right now and I'm standing outside and can guarantee that the humidity is at least 50%.)

How about changing the weather source to Weather Underground? They have a very easy to interpret mobile page here: http://m.wund.com/

If you don't want to change, how about giving a choice of whether source?

2) On the alert options you don't offer "Reminder & LED" as one of the choices. I don't want vibrate, but I do want reminders. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Keep up the great work. I'll send a donation tonight.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Boxt is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat
Hey Boxt, great new program. I'm just back from a few weeks in Europe and really missed my (Sprint) Treo. Found TREO ALERT while catching up on what's new here. Install and configuration were smooth and it's working perfectly.

Two suggestions I have for you so far:

1) I like the weather rotating with other stuff, but I don't like the source of the weather reports. They consistently have the temp about 8-10 degrees too high - not sure why that happens. (The Weather Channel is also reporting the humidity at 15% for me right now and I'm standing outside and can guarantee that the humidity is at least 50%.)

How about changing the weather source to Weather Underground? They have a very easy to interpret mobile page here: http://m.wund.com/

If you don't want to change, how about giving a choice of whether source?

2) On the alert options you don't offer "Reminder & LED" as one of the choices. I don't want vibrate, but I do want reminders. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Keep up the great work. I'll send a donation tonight.
1)Very possible to upgrade weather source

2)Alert selection (3): is setting for led and reminder.When you put your ringer on mute you will get vibe
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Boxt is a n00b
xcast layout

future xcast layout maybe

11p>75*F(Prcip.40% Cloud)

11p>99*F(Prcip.10% Sun)

11p>20*F(Prcip.80% Snow)

11p>80*F(Prcip.70% Storm)

11p>80*F(Prcip.100% Rain)

The forecast layouts above gets to the point and will fit in the carrier display.When you see that 80% you have a real idea if it's going to rain within 12 hours Or if your in a meeting,Take a glance at your treo...hmm I may need to grab my umbrella .Xcast says the chance of precipitation is 80% rain...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Lurker

redhat is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the answer on the alert options.

I like your suggestions on the possible new weather information layout. However I'd suggest:

1) get rid of the F, until you give people the option of F or C, in which case you need that.

2) get rid of the parenthesis around the precipitation, they just add clutter where space would be clearer.

3) get rid of the > after the time, again it adds clutter where space would be better.

One new question. I frequently find myself tapping the information line and wanting the program to launch. Any reason you wouldn't want to do that? Also, when the notification says SM=2 EM=1 or whatever, how about tapping on that to launch the messaging application or tapping the VM=1 to launch into voice mail?

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Lurker

obelisk is a n00b
Is there a way to have the LED's but no other reminders.

Thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX