PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

prophetizer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best GPS for palm treo 700wx??????

anyone have any good suggestions? i want to order one, but i'm clueless as which to get.

thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Lurker

MunnyGuy is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to MunnyGuy
I really like MAPOPOLIS! Great usability and nice maps. Also TOM TOM is really popular too, My Brother in Law uses it and Loves it.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

scottyAPS is a n00b
Have you ever heard of Telenav? It's big on the iDEN side of sprint, It will cost ya $100 for thr reciever & 9.99 per month, but i love it and its never let me down. It automatically updates about once a month to get new roads.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Lurker

bmuh83 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to bmuh83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnyGuy
I really like MAPOPOLIS! Great usability and nice maps. Also TOM TOM is really popular too, My Brother in Law uses it and Loves it.
Does TOM TOM have voice guidance and a real time map display on the screen for a treo also?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Lurker

wuid is a n00b
Tomtom V6, I think V5 also, has ovice guidance.. but not TextToSpeech(spoken street names). From what I gathered, Copilot Live is the only PDA gps software that does TTS(I can't remember TeleNav does or not).
Tomtom uses Teleatlas map and they just updated earlier this month.. so supposedly on par with NAVTEQ maps now. And maps you could load on SD..

I've tried quite a few of PDA gps software(Route 66, StreetAtlas PDA, IGo, Telenav(on a 6700), Mapopolis(Palm) and TomTom V6).. and I have to say Tomtom is the best of the bunch on 700wx: very good UI, stable, fast rerouting, routing algorithm is as good as others; an overall solid piece of software..
if I have the chance I will have to check out Iguidance and Copilot.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Lurker

bmuh83 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to bmuh83
Wuid, thanks for your review on TOM TOM. I'll def. pick up a copy after Christmas shopping is over.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:48 AM
Lurker

wuid is a n00b
np.. bmuh83..

I tried with Telenav again on the 700wx.. it's pretty responsive(but seem to hestitate a alittle when re-calculating routes after wrong turn or passed a turn).. but it does have TTS.. I did couple test navigations and the routings are similar to Tomtom's..

of course with Telenav, u would need a unlimited phone data plan 'cause the map data will need to be downloaded from Telenav server.

And if u r not in a phone coverage area and doesn't have roaming.. u probably out of luck at least with SprintPCS.. I heard that's not a issue with Iden phones though.

one thing I forgot to mention about Tomtom's map for US/Canada.. at least with my V6 version, it's one single huge file ~1GB.. so u would need at least a 2 GB SD card for your treo. I've heard people were sucessfully split it into smaller regional maps though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX