PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Official Palm Pre User Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Thanks for the info.

Card view allows you to switch from app to app, like a task manager?

In the most common screenshot I have seen, the dialer looks really small. Is this card view, and it gets larger when you select it?

Sorry for the base questions, I have not been able to locate a working demo model.
exactly, the apps are treated as cards and you just swipe up from card view to discart them (close the app) its the best task manager i have seen yet, and also the dialer is full screen also, you just saw the card of it. when you tap the card ti goes full screen

the cool thing about the card view is that the applications are actually active in the cards, like a PC window. youstill see the browser rendering the page if its still loading while minimized and also if you tilt the device for the accelerometer to kick in, all the apps in the cards switch orientation in front of your eyes
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post
the cool thing about the card view is that the applications are actually active in the cards, like a PC window. youstill see the browser rendering the page if its still loading while minimized and also if you tilt the device for the accelerometer to kick in, all the apps in the cards switch orientation in front of your eyes
That is really cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G/Samsung Epic 4G

nicandalf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Thanks for the info.

Card view allows you to switch from app to app, like a task manager?

In the most common screenshot I have seen, the dialer looks really small. Is this card view, and it gets larger when you select it?

Sorry for the base questions, I have not been able to locate a working demo model.
The dialer does go full screen. The view you have seen is the card view. Check out Scottcrsi's comment above, he posted images of both the card view and full screen view. It is in post #4.

HTC Mogul --> Palm Prē --> HTC EVO 4G
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I am going to avoid posting too much of a full review at this point because I am finding that I can't stop liking the phone so far and I don't want to sound too fanboy. I will wait until I have some stuff to complain about before I get a serious review going.

I have been on WinMo phones for a while. Loved my Diamond. Love WinMo. Love the development scene. I understand the joy of poking around in a registry for an hour or two. For anyone who can relate to that... I don't know if I am going to be able to recommend this phone.

That being said... my initial reaction is that I am really liking it.

Like I said I am going to reserve most of my review notes until I feel a little more objective... but I do have to say:

The camera on this phone pwns nubs.

More later...
Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc diamond

cambo2121 is a n00b

sweet.... ok this is kinda of topic but i just realized that in call when u put the phone up to your face for half a second the sceen goes dark but as soon as u pull it away while in call it comes right back on for easy access to keys.. i love it.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i really like the diamond and think it's an amazing phone, however, i think i'm liking the pre more, even at this initial stage. here are some quick comparisons on where i feel the pre is better and where the diamond is better

pre advantages:
-gps: the gps on this thing is awesome. the first time i loaded google maps, it located me immediately. no waiting for the gps to locate satellites, i'm talking maybe 15 seconds to locate me while i was indoors. the telenav app is sweet, much better than the diamond's even though it's done by the same company.

-wifi: the wifi radio is extremely efficient. i almost never used wifi with my diamond because it didn't seem to make much of a difference over using ev-do and would kill my battery. opera mobile seemed marginally faster using wifi and maintaining a strong connection was a bit difficult with the diamond. however, with the pre, wifi is noticeably faster and doesn't drain the battery as much. actually, one of the battery saving tips is to use the wifi over 3g when in a bad reception area since the battery pull is less with wifi then when the phone is trying to overextend itself with a weak 3g signal

-keyboard: for all of the criticism i've seen placed on the keyboard, i have to say i like it. i prefer this keyboard over slicker keys like the blackberry since with the slick keys, my fingers would slip. i used all sorts of keyboards with the diamond, and some of them were really good (fingerkeyboard being my favorite), but give me the pre's keyboard any day.

-multitasking: the pre gets it. i will always have a soft spot for WM and WM definitely did multitask, but the way the pre is set up makes multitasking second nature. no having to press a tiny icon to bring down the task manager to go to the apps, all you have to do is press a button and all your apps are in front of you. these cards are so simple and so effective, i'm surprised we haven't seen something like this before. i believe there is a task manager program out there developed by one of the experts at xda, but i never looked into it.

-phone quality: this thing makes clear calls. people i talk to tell me i am extremely clear, even when on speakerphone. actually, i used the speakerphone at a full arms length and they still heard me fine. the diamond wasn't really bad in terms of phone quality, but the pre seems to be the better one

-multitouch: pinch zooming is extremely convenient.

-accelerometer: extremely responsive. gyrator and flipit are good apps and can make the accelerometer respond quickly, but it's not quite as snappy as the pre's. though i will give points to WM, since gyrator/flipit will allow you to rotate anything, whereas only certain items will auto rotate with the pre (though it hasn't been a problem for me, since the only apps that rotate in the pre are the ones that i want to rotate, buy YMMV).

-UI: great UI. absolutely awesome. WM can look good if you put some work into it, but even with the graphical upgrades with 6.5, it still looks pretty boring. i'll miss creating my own custom themes, though...

pre disadvantages
-functionality/customization: probably a little early to say the pre is at a disadvantage here because webOS is in its infancy, but speaking in immediate terms, WM wins hands down over webOS. for pure functionality and customization, you can't beat WM. WM is a powerhouse. sure, they kill you with menus upon menus, but that's one thing the pre is lacking. limited menus which means limited options. i'm sure things will change, but just a taste of things you can't do with the pre: change tones for email/sms, copy/paste in the browser, save pictures from the browser, edit registry items, create themes (though you don't need to, it would be a nice option to have), send files via bluetooth (including contacts). but again, webOS is just a baby. a beautiful, tasty baby.

-hardware: not nearly as nice as the diamond. it feels great in the hand, but the build quality is the weakest part of the phone. the slider mechanism is no bueno. for something that was built with one handed navigation in mind, i can't really open it with one hand. feels like i'll break it.

Jury's still out
-apps: the current pre apps are nice looking, but the suite of apps available for WM is awesome. but i really have no doubt that webOS is going to have an extremely robust catalog of apps in the near future.

-web browser: the stock web browser is awesome. extremely fast, much faster than opera mobile (not even bothering to mention pocket IE...well except right there). the multitouch functions are also great, much preferred over the diamond's scrollwheel or magnifying glass. however, you can't copy/paste in the browser or save images in the pre's browser. also, there are no third party browsers as of yet. no opera mini/skyfire/iris/opera mobile 9.7. no flash...yet. so, the jury is still out at this point.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandalf View Post
1. There are no arrow keys so when texting or emailing it is a bit cumbersome to do simple edits.
Did anyone notice that if you hold the "orange" key it puts the cursor in a mode that lets you drag it around? It makes these text edits a bit easier.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Diamond

jwfos22 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to jwfos22

The Diamond or the Pre. I left Palm for the Diamond which was my first WinMo phone so I have know fear in going back to Palm just wanna know which has the upper hand as of now. Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfos22 View Post
The Diamond or the Pre. I left Palm for the Diamond which was my first WinMo phone so I have know fear in going back to Palm just wanna know which has the upper hand as of now. Thanks
all i can say is that you should go to your local sprint store and play with one

dont even compare this new WebOS with the old PalmOS in case thats why your fear going to palm because its nothing like it
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Diamond

jwfos22 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to jwfos22

Thanks Mike. My last Palm was the Treo 700p. My wife has the Centro.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre