PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: Sprint

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ITG's Windows XP-loving xpPhone now accepting pre-orders worldwide

I dont know how many ppl will want this considering 7 but news is news.

engadget.com/2009/09/17/itgs-windows-xp-loving-xpphone-now-accepting-pre-orders-worldwi/

It's been awhile since we last saw the xpPhone, a quick, quiet demonstration at Computex that left us doubting whether the thing would ever see the light of day outside a packed showroom floor. It seems our doubts are about to be put to rest as ITG, creator of the thing, has thrown up a pre-order page on the phone's website. There's no mention of a price, and indeed you won't be asked to plunk down any cash right now (it's not much of a pre-order), but what's interesting is that it asks you to choose between 3G modules for Vodafone, Orange, or AT&T. That means ITG seemingly has aspirations of a global release for this thing, and while we're not sure how many people are going to want to lug around a MID-sized monster celly with a "super big" 4.8-inch LCD and a weight of nearly a pound, but surely some nation in the world has pockets big enough for this.

Last edited by Magoo_215; 09-17-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff
Re: ITG's Windows XP-loving xpPhone now accepting pre-orders worldwide

If it wasn't so heavy/big, I'd want one of these.... I wonder what the battery life is?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ronaldheld is just getting started

Looks interesting to me. If the battery life was decent and I could run my XP apps, it might be worth trying out.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
Looks interesting to me. If the battery life was decent and I could run my XP apps, it might be worth trying out.
I agree, this is where every phone as been going. Why use Windows Mobile when you can use full Windows ?

If it's running XP, I wonder if it would be able to run Windows 7 (basic or home premium), that would be very cool.

So the real question is how is perfomance ? (is it going to take 45 seconds to open MS word ?) and how long will the battery last ?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
I agree, this is where every phone as been going. Why use Windows Mobile when you can use full Windows ?

If it's running XP, I wonder if it would be able to run Windows 7 (basic or home premium), that would be very cool.

So the real question is how is perfomance ? (is it going to take 45 seconds to open MS word ?) and how long will the battery last ?
True Pocket PC.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: sprint

mbaseball3 is becoming a great contributor

lol viruses and worms will be wonderful wouldn't it? they hack our contacts and drain our minutes? nah ill stick with winmo
Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

I rather have an HTC shift I mean come on it has a 40gb hard drive for goodness sake!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

This will probably be the best real Pocket PC I seen in my life and I would get this over any phone. Wish I could show you the pics of it but I dont know how lol.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...for-pre-order/

If you’re a glutton for the punishment that Windows XP on a mobile phone likely is, then ITG has exactly what you need. The “world’s first mobile phone that runs Windows XP” is now available for pre-order from ITG’s English website. Looking rather big and boxy (is this a new trend?), the xpPhone packs some impressive specs inside its brushed aluminum frame:
AMD Mobile CPU
4.8-inch, 800×480 pixel touchscreen display
QWERTY keyboard
512Mb/1GB memory
Dual hard drives: SSD (8/16/32/64GB) and HDD (30/60/80/120GB)
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth
GPS
WiMAX (optional)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE/WCDMA (HSDPA/HSUPA), CDMA/CDMA2000, CMDA 1X/EV-DO, TD-SCDMA, TD-HSDPA
7 hours of continuous use with standard battery, 12 hours with extended battery
Windows XP OS
The substantially-sized slider supports nearly all major 3G networks and can be configured from the ordering page to be compatible with AT&T, Vodafone or Orange. No word on pricing details or launch date for the time being, but is anyone out there thinking about taking the plunge?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

I would be interested in someone providing real world experience with it, since I do not have an AT&T contract.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
I would be interested in someone providing real world experience with it, since I do not have an AT&T contract.
Yea, I was thinking the same thing...but, Verizon (claimed CDMA support)

>7 hours of continuous use with standard battery

That I gota see, most of our WM phone now don't even get that. You mean I can browse the web and make phone calls almost all day and the battery will suvive ? ha, time will tell.

Someone get one and give us real world review. Still cool ! If I could put Windows 7 on it, I would buy one now....(if I could get one)

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives