PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Windows Mobile 7 delayed AGAIN!!!

last year sometime i remember reading an article where it said world wide, there were over a 100 different handsests that run some version of Windows Mobile... thats gotta be hard to support that amount of devices youd think...

i dont think microsoft offering their own devices and with its own OS, is any different than the way you had to have a good enough computer to run vista... maybe its not microsoft wants to shaft their consumers, but that they know conventional devices can barely handle it as it is sometimes, and would actually be making a better product for the future...

snapdragon is basically here... tegra is not far behind.... what devices can do and handle and what will become standard will drasctically change alot sooner than later... we all know microsoft is not worried about the phone experience at all really.. they want a computer feel, a buisness feel, a more sophisticated feel...

it wont be long, and i said this the other day some where else on here, before smartphones are really 4-5inch screened netbooks that make phone calls, apps, txting,etc(some wont have keyboards still, so more like a tablet in that case)

MS is probably gearing up for the future, using their own device for this makes sense to me... EVERYONE is coming out of the woodwork manufacturing new smartphones.. having to buy a MS windows phone, would simply meaning changing device manufactures really... not much different than deciding you want a BB or Iphone, instead of an HTC...

Nokia is abandoning the S60 platform... should their consumers feel betrayed? i guess thats a little different maybe though...

ive been running WM for about 3yrs now roughly, me personally, wouldnt have a problem at all if after an offical 6.5 release that was it... and everything else was upto US after that... make everything available at that point though.. so we can do what we want in a sense..

it just wouldnt bother me, to have to buy a handset from MS to get THE NEWEST OS upgrade, if they did it like tomorrow, sure it'd be kinda like wow ok,that was unexpected" but it seems like were getting told little by little this is possibly be coming at some point...

you gotta think... if you had win98, you had to pay to upgrade to XP, XP had to pay to upgrade vista.... unless u bought a new machine it came preloaded on.... isnt all this really the same thing really? am i way out on left feild in all of this??

heres my final question everyone, what if you had to pay to upgrade to say WM7, and theorectcally WM7.5, WM8,WM9, WMX(if they make a 10 thats how it shoudl look "WMX" lol) would you do it??? even if you could pay to upgrade, your device may not be able to support it, youd still have to buy a new handset then, and in that case youd switch over to a MS branded device from say HTC... MS just needs to make sure all their phones arent hideous and have a lengthy product line if they want it to work though
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

great points boradandtatooed
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:

heres my final question everyone, what if you had to pay to upgrade to say WM7, and theorectcally WM7.5, WM8,WM9, WMX(if they make a 10 thats how it shoudl look "WMX" lol) would you do it??? even if you could pay to upgrade, your device may not be able to support it, youd still have to buy a new handset then, and in that case youd switch over to a MS branded device from say HTC... MS just needs to make sure all their phones arent hideous and have a lengthy product line if they want it to work though
a la iphone users/ ipod touch users paying a nominal fee to upgrade? I wouldn't mind it but IMHO I'd personally prefer the custom roms released. In many respects, this is why I am with HTC because it offers almost full customization and limitless potential due to the communities available for htc. That isn't to say microsoft will not have it - it just may but HTC is established.

I personally think that as a result of this, Microsoft should contract HTC to design the device personally. And with HTC's move to capacitive touch, stylus, and new designs, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's phone isn't designed/manufactured by HTC. It would make a lot of sense.

That said I don't mind if WM 6.5 will tide me over. Its a bit of a dull news, but it gives me an idea where I stand as far as smartphones go. And yes seeing the price and availability of powerhouse devices in America may take time, in comparison to its international counterparts.All in all its most interesting
Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro MightyRom6(7-18-09)
Carrier: Sprint (sero 500 F&F)

craig198 is just getting started

sad news indeed... waiting for more powerful phones lol. just a crappy excuse. they need to fix their sloppy coding first and stop making excuses. android is my next OS anyway. just waiting for sprint to jump on it.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Threadstarter

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work

Change.... Its coming.... I can smell it... The end is near, I can feel it.... Im... Im So scared... No Htc, where... where will I go...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

This isn't news really and people are confusing announcements, release to manufacturers and availability to consumers.
  • WM7 will be announced by MS February 2010 as planned
  • WM7 will be RTM Q2 2010, as planned
  • WM7 devices will show up in stores Q4, 2010 as planned
  • WM6.5 will get a year solo run
  • WM6.5.1 will be a bridging release between WM6.5 and WM7
  • MS is not abandoning the license model to make proprietary handsets
  • This is the same announcement, RTM and availability model for WM7 as WM6.5--nothing new
None of this has changed recently and there is no new news in regards to this plan. Making WM6.5 the budget OS (to compete with Android) is just a side effect and convenient. WM7 has very high hardware requirements that cost $$, so it is a premium OS. WM7 will also be MS's first complete attempt to make a consumer/pro-sumer OS that has the core components for Enterprise (what WM5, WM6 and WM6.1 focused on), so yeah, of course it will actually now compete with the iPhone at that level--once again, no news there either.

This is called rehashing old news and rewording it while leaving out technical details.

Last edited by Malatesta; 08-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

but still a crappy excuse for win mo. even when win mo 7 comes out im pretty confident I'll be on an android OS like many other people. a day late and a dollar short they say.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo_215 View Post
Change.... Its coming.... I can smell it... The end is near, I can feel it.... Im... Im So scared... No Htc, where... where will I go...
yeah but is it "change we can believe in" lolz. where is the impeach button
Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

hyakku is keeping up the good workhyakku is keeping up the good work

Why is it that people feel business users need multiple different handsets to "serve different needs".

The only thing I think Apple did right with the iphone WAS make one handset, juts like RIM doesn't make dozens of different handsets a year, they have their flagship ones and that's it. The problem with microsoft is that they can only do the business aspect of their phones decently, and the issue with Apple/ Palm is that they are focused on the consumer aspect being perfect.

Can it really be that hard for them to make an OS that does BOTH. I've always laughed at how XP pro, Vista Pro, Win 7 ultimate, etc are all supposed to be more expensive, but in reality they could have just made ONE OS that way that would sell better. It's ****ing stupid. They need to make ONE windows mobile platform, get the consumer functions (easy to type, easy UI, solid build, good battery life, good multimedia capability) and the business functions (exchange, word, excel, etc) and just combine them. Why is that so difficult? The only two handsets there should be are Win Mo phones with a keyboard and without it. Besides that get HTC to design a solid touch screen only phone and a physical keyboard phone for users who are consistently writing emails/texts. that's it. This is the reason the iphone, the palm pre, and even blackberry appeals to so many consumers and many more business as they continue to get business support, the very opposite reason people keep contending that microsoft has an advantage which is their uniform models. It's far easier to manage one or two different types of handsets then worry if one person's phone is compatible with X and the other phone has Y specs, etc.

Choices in handsets to me aren't really a good thing to me, it means that there is obviously not a system that is uniformly well designed, built, portable, long lasting and efficient and therefore the consumer must make sacrifices. I already knew WM 7 wasn't coming for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'll be on Android OS (hopefully on my computer too). I trust google to do things right because they always have, one platform, strong support for it, limited amount of handsets to ensure compatibility; what more could you want?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Threadstarter

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work

Change.... Change....!!! Theres a storm coming, I can see it.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives