PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: sprint capping "unlimited" data

i'm curious to see how much i used this month...been hitting the net and downloading tough lol!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmjones is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Here is a little more info on Sprint's service agreement. When I switched from Verizon to Sprint a little over a year ago I was concerned about the Highlighted sections. Read carefully what is included in the 5gb cap. It appears that it does not apply to data usage for phones (unless you use phone as modem). I also read somewhere that they base violation on a three month cycle. I you violate 2 out of 3 months (or something like that) you get a letter saying watch out. A few people on other forums have already received letters but in general it appears that Sprint does not enforce the 5gb limit for phones.

Data: Services are not available with all Sprint phones. Usage is calculated on a per kilobyte basis and is rounded up to the next whole kilobyte. Rounding occurs at the end of each session or each clock hour and, at which time we deduct accumulated usage from your plan, or assess overage or casual usage charges. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your device, regardless of who initiates the activity. Estimates of data usage will vary from actual use. Your invoice will not separately identify the number of kilobytes attributable to your use of specific sites, sessions or services used. Premium content (games, ringers, songs, etc.) priced separately. Services are not available for use in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance. Availability of downloadable or streaming content is subject to change, including but not limited to television channels and radio stations. If user is not subscribed to a data included plan or add-on, pay-as-you go charges are incurred when using data applications and services.

Web Access: Sprint can help you prevent the transmission of material harmful to minors on certain devices by allowing access only to a limited number of internet websites or restricting web access.

Off-network Roaming on Sprint Phones: Not available with single-band phones, or to customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming. International calling, including in Canada and Mexico, is not included in plans with no roaming charges. Roaming usage may be invoiced after 30-60 days. Data services and certain calling features (Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.) may not be available in all roaming areas.

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

Last edited by nmjones; 08-14-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjones View Post
Here is a little more info on Sprint's service agreement. ...Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming.
ok... So nothing in this TOS allows Sprint to CHARGE for any data overages -- only terminate or suspend...

the question really is What Sprint is actually enforcing? here the picture is murkier... from what I can tell, enforcement of the above is quite spotty...
Old 08-15-2009, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G,Touch Pro, Mogul, Asus A730W, Ipaq5150
Carrier: SPRINT

fsubartender is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to fsubartender Send a message via MSN to fsubartender Send a message via Yahoo to fsubartender

Well I have two phones on one of the shared plans and never get close to the limit.

My internet is a data card. i have has it since last year. I have used 22gb and 11gb (past months) and 5 gb so far this month with no overage charges. I have an unlimited data plan on the card.

Wonder when they will enforce that?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

I'm not suggesting that people do this, but I went over 100GB DL per month for a couple months. Went under the radar, but was worrying by the days . Pretty much, I lived at a temporary apartment outside of college with internet and had to do my thing on Usenet
Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Here is a little more info on Sprint's service agreement. When I switched from Verizon to Sprint a little over a year ago I was concerned about the Highlighted sections. Read carefully what is included in the 5gb cap. It appears that it does not apply to data usage for phones (unless you use phone as modem)
I don't think they can tell whether you use phone as modem or not... theoretically speaking..most of us don't have "phone as modem" plan..so we aren't "theoretically" using it as phone as modem >.> lol

As for data usage, I do 20gb straight every month for the past 2-3 years >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
As for data usage, I do 20gb straight every month for the past 2-3 years >.>
You flew under the radar pretty nicely there man As for WinMo user out there, I suggest trying out PDANet, just can't live without if you always carry a laptop around all the time, lol.

Temporary selling Sprint SERO 500 plans for $80.

The SERO 500 plan is only $30 a month and it gives you: 500 minutes monthly, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited picture mail, nights and weekend from 7PM to 7AM, and more!

Old 08-15-2009, 03:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmjones is a n00b

Well from all the testimonials given I guess I should rest easy and continue streaming music at work while roaming (the only way I can connect at work). Of course with my luck as soon as I use 5.001GB I'll end up being the one Sprint picks to make an example of (oops ended the sentence with a preposition).

Last edited by nmjones; 08-15-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA-2xXtReM View Post
I'm not suggesting that people do this, but I went over 100GB DL per month for a couple months. Went under the radar, but was worrying by the days . Pretty much, I lived at a temporary apartment outside of college with internet and had to do my thing on Usenet
got a screen shot? 100GB/month is ludacris! I'm too lazy to do the math, but I don't think it's even possible, not even on WiMax...
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
got a screen shot? 100GB/month is ludacris! I'm too lazy to do the math, but I don't think it's even possible, not even on WiMax...
It does sound ludacris but i work for comcast and or limit is 250 gb, less then 1% have been shut off but some people hit the mark and need to be shut down.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives