PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   WiMax Touch HD? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69905)

BigDiesel07 05-27-2009 04:24 PM

WiMax Touch HD?

Here is an extremely interesting article from WMExperts detailing a great hypothesis about how Sprint may be getting the Touch HD instead of a Diamond2... Points to consider...

Quote:

Sprint's Touch Diamond did not sell as well as the Touch Pro (3,000 units vs 15,000 per month)
Sprint's Touch Diamond is EOL'd (gone by July)
No Touch Diamond 2 is on Sprint's roadmap
ROM file is leaked called "RUU_Quartz_Clearwire_US_1.09.1000.5_Radio_Quartz_1 .13.25"
Quartz = Touch HD / Clearwire = Sprint's Wimax partner

mindfrost82 05-27-2009 04:34 PM

Re: WiMax Touch HD?

Very interesting. Only downside is that the HD is actually older than the Diamond2 (atleast in the GSM world), but that ROM leak is interesting with its reference to Clearwire.

Noir 05-27-2009 05:12 PM

wow
that is a unique perspective
what's interesting is that pocket genius when comparing the touch hd to the touch diamond 2, the touch hd still won with the bigger screen and benchmark tests.
I find it a bit unique that a phone like the HD (a year old) out performs the next gen phone. That said despite the age of the HD if it is still on par with touch diamond, this would be a fantastic idea for sprint
further, if you recall, the sprint leaker that gave us vital information for the touch pro sprint argued they were testing this out.
This may be the proof
keep us posted

demonlordoftheround 05-27-2009 05:14 PM

With WM7 and the next gen devices a year away, would it be a step up from a 6800? I think so!

BigDiesel07 05-27-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 938770)
With WM7 and the next gen devices a year away, would it be a step up from a 6800? I think so!

6800? Yes, but the logical replacement for that phone would be the Touch Pro2, no?

Here are the specs for the HTC Diamond2-
  • ROM: 512 MB
  • RAM: 288 MB
  • FM Radio, G-Sensor
  • Dimensions- 107.85 X 53.1 X 13.7 mm (4.25 X 2.09 X 0.54 inches)
  • Screen- 3.2-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with 480 X 800 WVGA resolution
Now the Touch HD-
  • ROM: 512 MB
  • RAM: 288 MB
  • Dimensions- 115 mm x 62.8 mm x 12 mm (4.358 in x 2.4722 in x 0.47 in)
  • Screen- 3.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 480 x 800 WVGA resolution
Sounds like the Touch HD has the specs firmly in hand...

demonlordoftheround 05-27-2009 05:28 PM

For the Touch HD, I might give up the keyboard.

SBR_L3GION 05-27-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 938804)
For the Touch HD, I might give up the keyboard.

+1 on that

copper rs 05-27-2009 08:09 PM

does the HD have a G-sensor? If so it seems more on par with the Diamond 2 even though its older. I guess HTC didn't bring much to the table with the D2.

Malatesta 05-27-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copper rs (Post 939128)
does the HD have a G-sensor? If so it seems more on par with the Diamond 2 even though its older. I guess HTC didn't bring much to the table with the D2.

It does.

Here's a good vid from PocketNow comparing the 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKd5b...url=http%3A%2F

badchad 05-27-2009 08:57 PM

Unfortunately, this device wasn't on the roadmap either.

I'm just hoping that Sprint gets some sort of non-keyboard, higher end device.

magicalan 05-27-2009 09:11 PM

I dont know what to buy anymore so many options :(
1.Diamond2 (if it ever gets released)
2.NOW TOUCH HD
3.Palm Pre
4.Pro2
all from sprint now WHICH ONE DO I BUY? >:[

madcook 05-27-2009 09:13 PM

this is the device i have been wanting since before the 4g .i wanted this when it was just the hd so if it comes im so all over this thing like no ohter=D>:headbang::headbang::headbang:=D> i want it so bad i will sell my girlfriend for it does anybody need a girl ive got one lol

TaylorSPJ 05-27-2009 09:15 PM

Well I prefer the Touch HD over the TD2 any day...TD2 is an ugly thing to look at...its too basic looking and the screen is to lanky for me...the HD got the 3.5 mm jack which is a huge plus not to mention WiMax...same specs for the most part internal wise...ram,rom size...plus its got a sd slot which will come in handy..this thread got me really excited..regardless if it hits this year or not. this is the phone to get....

I also think we should start a poll for this thread....preferred new upcoming phones....TP2,TD2, THD, Pre ect....just a thought...like to see if any else is excited bout the HD as much as me..

badchad 05-27-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorSPJ (Post 939230)
Well I prefer the Touch HD over the TD2 any day...TD2 is an ugly thing to look at...its too basic looking and the screen is to lanky for me...

I know the HD's screen is bigger, but is the aspect ratio different as well?

TaylorSPJ 05-27-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badchad (Post 939251)
I know the HD's screen is bigger, but is the aspect ratio different as well?

yea...theres a link either on this page or the page back showing the two phones side by side....and the TD2 just looks hideous...i hate that the didn't proportion the screen to maximize full effect....its basically the same width as the pro and diamond now....just had a growth spurt...but the HD is even all around and I love the black casing...no ugly mix match between gray/silver and black....the HD should have been released in the US last yr....they would have made tons of money from that phone here. I think it would have grabbed more attention over the iphone.

wjrandon 05-27-2009 11:28 PM

Lucky me, Clearwire just rolled out WiMax in Atlanta.
Unlucky me, no WM devices to use it with.

However this new really tickles the fancies (if you know what I mean) I'd totally lose the Touch Pro + keyboard for the Touch HD if they it shipped with Wi-Max.

The real question for me is... why didn't HTC just make the Touch Pro 2 the same as the Touch HD and added a keyboard?

BigDiesel07 05-28-2009 01:06 AM

Curious question indeed wjr.. I would assume that Wi-Max chip is fairly huge, since that HD is big...

reggiep 05-28-2009 02:01 AM

It seems that knobody has asked the TRULY BIG QUESTION!!! Since the HD came out around the same time in Europe as the TP and TD came out here...will the HD be upgradable to 6.5 and then 7 later down the line? I think that besides the screen size, this is a major concern.

CozBoogie 05-28-2009 11:24 AM

Touch HD all the way baby!!!!

late,
Coz

madcook 05-28-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiep (Post 939827)
It seems that knobody has asked the TRULY BIG QUESTION!!! Since the HD came out around the same time in Europe as the TP and TD came out here...will the HD be upgradable to 6.5 and then 7 later down the line? I think that besides the screen size, this is a major concern.

no im not concrened we have some of the smartesr people here o know they can mske it eor better than htc or any carrier

delawaresace 05-28-2009 01:00 PM

This is Great News since I didn't like the screen on the D2 and we don't even know if Sprint will come out with it. my question is will it be able to use EVDO when not in range of WiMax? also, I WANT IT NOW

Torx 05-28-2009 01:08 PM

touchhd unless sprint mangles the looks with a stupid color and chrome buttons. im game.

someone needs to get a hold of that rom package and dissect it for anymore clues.

popdog54 05-28-2009 03:36 PM

I'd still hold out for an HD2 or whatever with Tegra.

BigDiesel07 05-28-2009 03:38 PM

Tegra and Snapdragon both... That will be nice to have no matter what device..

w7excursion 05-28-2009 03:48 PM

this would be nice

p-slim 05-28-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delawaresace (Post 940467)
This is Great News since I didn't like the screen on the D2 and we don't even know if Sprint will come out with it. my question is will it be able to use EVDO when not in range of WiMax? also, I WANT IT NOW

anyphone or device that comes out for sprint is always compatible on the lower end networks. for instance any evdo reva device can also access evdo rev 1 or 1x networks.

demonlordoftheround 05-28-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiep (Post 939827)

Hopefully 6.5, but probably not 7, but you never know. The 6800 will never get an official 6.5 update from Sprint, but I'm already there.

foxnews 05-28-2009 07:45 PM

if this HD came to sprint a year ago, there would have been alot of excitement and enthusiasm. but since TP 2 is coming, this news is no longer the best news. alot people, me included, now prefer TP2 instead.

anyone feel the same?

BigDiesel07 05-28-2009 07:52 PM

I would love the TP2..Even call it near-perfect... But it has NO flash for the camera... And maybe no Tegra/Snapdragon processor...

So HD is nice..

foxnews 05-28-2009 08:08 PM

the only things which can make tp2 close to perfect are capacitive screen and WM7

TheRealHotshot 05-28-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 941426)
if this HD came to sprint a year ago, there would have been alot of excitement and enthusiasm. but since TP 2 is coming, this news is no longer the best news. alot people, me included, now prefer TP2 instead.

anyone feel the same?

Imma have to rock with you on that. I mean HD is 3.8 and the tp2 3.6 but I get a killer keyboard also...but with me I HAVE to HAVE a keyboard. So its a no brainer for me in my choice just needs sprint to drop this bad boy next month

p-slim 05-28-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_A_Stain (Post 941539)
Imma have to rock with you on that. I mean HD is 3.8 and the tp2 3.6 but I get a killer keyboard also...but with me I HAVE to HAVE a keyboard. So its a no brainer for me in my choice just needs sprint to drop this bad boy next month

definitely agree with you guys, i have no clue why people are trippin over .2 for the screen size and i get a keyboard so its a no brainer for me also. Unfortunately sprint isn't dropping this phone in june. I know bigchico posted the pics and spoke with the rep (thanks bigchico for those pics once again) but with the annoucement today of the htc willow being released on june 7th the sprint roadmap hasn't been wrong. Therefore tp2 is q3 July-Sep. the link is to the sprint roadmap.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roadmap-leaks/

TheRealHotshot 05-28-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 941593)
definitely agree with you guys, i have no clue why people are trippin over .2 for the screen size and i get a keyboard so its a no brainer for me also. Unfortunately sprint isn't dropping this phone in june. I know bigchico posted the pics and spoke with the rep (thanks bigchico for those pics once again) but with the annoucement today of the htc willow being released on june 7th the sprint roadmap hasn't been wrong. Therefore tp2 is q3 July-Sep. the link is to the sprint roadmap.

I mean if it came out july that would be great for me but things are always subject to change...they might bring it out earlier for a double blow for ppl just to keep ppl with sprint and not jumping ship for the new iphone

Noir 05-28-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

but judging by that picture, there's no palm pre slated to be released ever...
and that's coming out june 6th...just saying

p-slim 05-28-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 941733)
but judging by that picture, there's no palm pre slated to be released ever...
and that's coming out june 6th...just saying

what are you talking about, it shows pre quarter 2. the pre's first codename was p100, you see where is shows new palm q2

foxnews 05-28-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Roadmap serves as a guidance but by no mean written in stone. Sudden competition market, hello iphone, can put pressure on price as well as release date.

p-slim 05-28-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 941744)
Roadmap serves as a guidance but by no mean written in stone. Sudden competition market, hello iphone, can put pressure on price as well as release date.

you're right, but all i'm saying is that it hasn't been wrong yet.

BigDiesel07 05-28-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 941749)
you're right, but all i'm saying is that it hasn't been wrong yet.

Has it been right either?

p-slim 05-28-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 941752)
Has it been right either?

Every phone that is on that map to come out Q2 or before has been release or release date has been annouced. The willow was the only one i was questioning but today they annouced the willow will launch the same day as the pre, so its right again for the 6th time.

BRIVERS73 05-29-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 938649)
Here is an extremely interesting article from WMExperts detailing a great hypothesis about how Sprint may be getting the Touch HD instead of a Diamond2... Points to consider...

Makes sense that Sprint would try a different route after not doing so great with the Diamond....