PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   WiMax Touch HD? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69905)

BigDiesel07 05-29-2009 01:41 AM

Re: WiMax Touch HD?

But the people who WM caters to really cross shop the iPhone?

mbaseball3 05-29-2009 02:24 AM

any idea what might be on quarter 4 of sprints road map? or maybe quarter 1 of 2010? seems like the phone world is finally kicking it into high gear...but does it end/slow down 3rd quarter this year???

piranah 05-29-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salisburyl (Post 939226)
this is the device i have been wanting since before the 4g .i wanted this when it was just the hd so if it comes im so all over this thing like no ohter=D>:headbang::headbang::headbang:=D> i want it so bad i will sell my girlfriend for it does anybody need a girl ive got one lol

can i "kick the tires" and take her for a test drive before i commit to anything?

agtef 05-30-2009 05:42 PM

I think this is theRUU_Quartz_Clearwire_US_1.09.1000.5_Radio_Quart z_1.13.25.24_Signed_Ship.exe file. Found it in XDA, but didn't download it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ywmmmzz1nny

BigDiesel07 05-30-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agtef (Post 945169)
I think this is theRUU_Quartz_Clearwire_US_1.09.1000.5_Radio_Quart z_1.13.25.24_Signed_Ship.exe file. Found it in XDA, but didn't download it.

That is correct...

You can also download it here

madcook 05-30-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piranah (Post 942252)
can i "kick the tires" and take her for a test drive before i commit to anything?

if your willing to commit to a price anything is possible

p-slim 05-30-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 945170)
That is correct...

You can also download it here

Quote:

Originally Posted by agtef (Post 945169)

What is this for? which device? better question, what phone is in the picture of that software upgrade?

BigDiesel07 05-30-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 945182)
What is this for? which device?

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 945190)
better question, what phone is in the picture of that software upgrade?

Those are the ROM's for the HTC Touch HD... Read the article in the original post to know what I am talking about :)

madcook 05-30-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 945182)
What is this for? which device?

i only wish i could buy that

p-slim 05-30-2009 07:39 PM

Nice phone but i would rather have a tp2. But i am jealous if it is wimax supportable.

robotphood 05-30-2009 11:44 PM

Personally rather have the HD than the TP2. I already mastered touchpal on my Diamond so a 3.8" HD with touchpal or even full qwerty should be just fine. The extra screen space is a plus but the thinness is what wins me over. I wear them tight jeans so the bulge from the TP2 would be out of hand :P. But if the HD doesn't come out, I'll settle for the TP2. By the time tegra/snapdragon come to the sprint, I'll most likely be due for another upgrade.

No1ustad 05-31-2009 05:38 AM

HD all the way! i've been feigning it since it was slated for release on GSM, even thought about leavin my SERO+pick3 and 10% off for it, but i'm not that rich..yet.
5mp cam, flash, headphone jack, huge screen, wimax. :-D i hope so. I've got 3 2-yr contracts that are up- waiting to get a couple new toys...

foxnews 05-31-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 945937)
HD all the way! i've been feigning it since it was slated for release on GSM, even thought about leavin my SERO+pick3 and 10% off for it, but i'm not that rich..yet.
5mp cam, flash, headphone jack, huge screen, wimax. :-D i hope so. I've got 3 2-yr contracts that are up- waiting to get a couple new toys...

I also wanted when I saw it last year. but with TP2 is coming, I like TP2 better. HD is too wide for your pocket. it is like a PDA. TP2 is not as wide but longer, like a phone.

badutahboy 05-31-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 946094)
I also wanted when I saw it last year. but with TP2 is coming, I like TP2 better. HD is too wide for your pocket. it is like a PDA. TP2 is not as wide but longer, like a phone.

Two quick points:

1. TP2 doesn't have wimax from anything I've seen.

2. IT IS A PDA!!!! Call me crazy, but I don't understand the outrage over device size.. I bought a WM phone so I wouldn't have to carry my phone AND a PDA anymore.. I appreciate the fact that they're making it into a better PDA, as opposed to continuing to make a marginal PDA for the sake of maintaining size... I'd rather carry a functional brick than a crippled PDA that feels like a "phone"

foxnews 05-31-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badutahboy (Post 946362)
Two quick points:

1. TP2 doesn't have wimax from anything I've seen.

2. IT IS A PDA!!!! Call me crazy, but I don't understand the outrage over device size.. I bought a WM phone so I wouldn't have to carry my phone AND a PDA anymore.. I appreciate the fact that they're making it into a better PDA, as opposed to continuing to make a marginal PDA for the sake of maintaining size... I'd rather carry a functional brick than a crippled PDA that feels like a "phone"

true that tp2 does not have winmax. but winmax is expensive I bet unless you are rich. by next year, there will be more advanced phones with wm7 and capacitive screen.

tp2 is not as wide as a PDA

TheRealHotshot 05-31-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 946422)
true that tp2 does not have winmax. but winmax is expensive I bet unless you are rich. by next year, there will be more advanced phones with wm7 and capacitive screen.

+1 for that post

BRIVERS73 05-31-2009 04:05 PM

HD is a very nice device but ever since the 6700 I've been really digging the slide out keyboards & every year they seem to get better... so I'll pass...

No1ustad 05-31-2009 04:38 PM

Haha. its obviously a good choice over the diamond 2 considering everyone has naturally turned to comparing it to the tp2 and an issue over the keyboard...

foxnews 05-31-2009 04:44 PM

one more thing I learn is that it is hard to get new ROM quickly for Diamond since most ROM chefs here were moving to TP1. I assume that most chef will get TP2 also. so ROM for TP2 will be more and released quicker than HD/Dimand 2.

TP2 will have GSM while HD won't

BRIVERS73 05-31-2009 04:44 PM

Yes, I agree the HD is hands down a better choice if someone was choosing between the D2 and the HD...:)

Of course that's just my humbled opinion :mrgreen:

monkeyboy 05-31-2009 06:21 PM

Any thought that Sprint will force its WiMax data plans on Sprint Quartz customers?

I want the Touch HD, and EVDO data is fine. Don't want to pay for WiMax at this point...

badutahboy 06-01-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 946422)

Uhhhh, Wimax "shouldn't" be expensive, being that it's an upgrade to the infrastructure technology.. I've never heard of a cellular provider charging different rates for 2g service vs 3g, so why would you think they'd charge extra for 4g over 3g?

and the TP2 is less than 1/4" narrower than a touch HD.. It gives you a smaller screen.. one that isn't even shrunk according to a standard resolution, so anything that stretches by default will look funny on it's screen. Anything that doesn't stretch by default will simply not fill the screen.

BigDiesel07 06-01-2009 12:51 AM

Watch this video.. It will compare the Touch HD and the Touch Pro2 in terms of size...

No1ustad 06-01-2009 02:05 PM

i pocketnow vid showed the contrast of the tp being noticeably better than the hd, something slightly disappointing :(

robotphood 06-01-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxnews (Post 946094)

Too wide for your pocket? It's 0.17in wider than the TP2... If anything, the TP2 is too thick/big for your pocket. If a TP2 fits in your pocket so will the HD (much slimmer).

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboy (Post 946723)
Any thought that Sprint will force its WiMax data plans on Sprint Quartz customers?

I want the Touch HD, and EVDO data is fine. Don't want to pay for WiMax at this point...

Don't see Sprint forcing WiMax unless it's actually available in more areas. And if the HD is actually coming this year, than I highly doubt they will.

Negrito 06-02-2009 06:02 PM

Whitestone? maybe the firestone?

If one already has unlimited data why do most of you seem to think WiMax will cost more? data is data....

TheRealHotshot 06-02-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negrito (Post 950887)
Whitestone? maybe the firestone?

If one already has unlimited data why do most of you seem to think WiMax will cost more? data is data....

That is true. Data is data. But if its more its because they charging you for "faster"data that's the so called "catch" would be if they raise the price of wimax data plan. They will be like hey its faster cost more. The old "gotta pay to play" rule. But who knows we won't know til sprint get wimax up and running and devices with wimax so until than guess it really don't matter.

Negrito 06-02-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_A_Stain (Post 950939)
But who knows we won't know til sprint get wimax up and running and devices with wimax so until than guess it really don't matter.

Touche!

No1ustad 06-02-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

With this plan and your Mobile Broadband Card or USB modem, you have instant Internet access wherever you go on the Sprint Mobile Broadband network.
This plan includes
  • 5 GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. (1024 kb=1MB. 1024 MB=1 GB)
  • Additional monthly usage over 5 GB costs 5¢/MB. You may not use more than 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming.
  • International data roaming may incur additional charges.
  • Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred.
  • Learn more about what's included in this plan
$49.99 5GB Mobile Broadband Connection Plan - 3G/4G

Get the best of both worlds: Take advantage of turbo-charged unlimited 4G Internet access in the Baltimore area and 5GB of 3G coverage nationwide. Important coverage and plan information.
This plan includes
  • An unlimited 4G connection in Baltimore that can keep up with you. Download mammoth files, watch streaming videos and video conferencing without the lag. More coverage locations coming soon!
  • 3G coverage nationwide: 5GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. Additional monthly usage over 5GB costs 5¢/MB. You may not use more than 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. You can check your usage online anytime. Log into www.sprint.com/mysprint and click on usage details.
  • International data roaming may incur additional charges.
  • Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred.
$79.99 4G: Unlimited/3G: 5GB
Features included in all voice plans.

I'm sure the unlimited has to do w/ it, but it is possible that they'll try to charge more for the faster internet. :-s

BigDiesel07 06-02-2009 07:17 PM

Good download/upload rates I hope with such a low CAP

mlin 06-02-2009 07:52 PM

Personally, I could care less about all the data plan speculation. I want to be sure the phone is coming to Sprint before I worry about any of the other nonsense.

Negrito 06-03-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 951136)
Personally, I could care less about all the data plan speculation. I want to be sure the phone is coming to Sprint before I worry about any of the other nonsense.

Why? the phone is still a rumor. Wimax is confirmed... :scratch:

p-slim 06-03-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 951136)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negrito (Post 952133)

I don't understand what you mean by the phone is not confirmed. You have seen it on the sprint roadmap and bigchico took a pic of a sprint branded htc touch pro, both links are below, throw your speculation out the door. Sprint will have the tp2 Q3. its like what more do you need ](*,)

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roadmap-leaks/

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...-june-release/

p-slim 06-03-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 951004)
I'm sure the unlimited has to do w/ it, but it is possible that they'll try to charge more for the faster internet. :-s

They are not going to charge more for internet, that is silly. Plus wimax is already available in some markets and they do not pay extra for wimax. Did anyone pay extra for evdo or evdo rev a, I didn't think so.

Negrito 06-03-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 952378)
I don't understand what you mean by the phone is not confirmed. You have seen it on the sprint roadmap and bigchico took a pic of a sprint branded htc touch pro, both links are below, throw your speculation out the door. Sprint will have the tp2 Q3. its like what more do you need ](*,)

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roadmap-leaks/

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...-june-release/

Where is the TOUCH HD confirmed? cause that what we were talking about.... or at least i was, being that this thread is about the Touch HD w/ WiMax....

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 952378)
its like what more do you need ](*,)

I'll assume you mean other than a clue....

p-slim 06-03-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negrito (Post 952391)
Where is the TOUCH HD confirmed? cause that what we were talking about.... or at least i was, being that this thread is about the Touch HD w/ WiMax....

I'll assume you mean other than a clue....

forgive my ignorance, i keep going back and forth between this thread and the tp2 thread. I thought i was on the tp2 thread. my bad :mrgreen: Yeah you guys are right, i have no clue if the hd is coming to sprint, personally i need a keyboard so i'm a tp2 fan.

Negrito 06-03-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 952421)
forgive my ignorance, i keep going back and forth between this thread and the tp2 thread. I thought i was on the tp2 thread. my bad :mrgreen: Yeah you guys are right, i have no clue if the hd is coming to sprint, personally i need a keyboard so i'm a tp2 fan.

I figured as much... I apologize if my reply came across rude. It sounds rude now that i read it again. Physical keyboards are over rated, and add uneeded bulk, imo...

mlin 06-04-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negrito (Post 952133)

Right, Wimax is confirmed. This is exactly why I don't care about the speculation, we'll see what happens when it hits the market. I'm curious about the phone which as you stated is a rumor. I'm interested in additional confirmation either that the phone is coming or not. I don't care about people speculating about the phone, but more so in tangible evidence one way or the other. Like I said, personally I could care less about all the data plan speculation, I am more interested in the facts.

On the other hand, its almost all speculation at this point anyway...

chippillie 06-04-2009 02:26 AM

I would love the THD but if it comes to sprint who knows all cell phone companies are slow to release phone's and this is sprint we are talking abought by far one of the slowest. I have a TP and will most likely buy a TP2. If the THD going to come out by then I might wait. I often use the on screen key board on the TP anyway and get sick of the letter keys not working or sticking. I know you can get a refurb for sprint but was waiting for the new TP2 first and the head phone jack just sweetens it.with 32gig SD card option I could get rid of the Ipod also. So it would be like having a PDA, a phone, and a Ipod all in one.

intrlude 06-04-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippillie (Post 953883)
I would love the THD but if it comes to sprint who knows all cell phone companies are slow to release phone's and this is sprint we are talking abought by far one of the slowest. I have a TP and will most likely buy a TP2. If the THD going to come out by then I might wait. I often use the on screen key board on the TP anyway and get sick of the letter keys not working or sticking. I know you can get a refurb for sprint but was waiting for the new TP2 first and the head phone jack just sweetens it.with 32gig SD card option I could get rid of the Ipod also. So it would be like having a PDA, a phone, and a Ipod all in one.

Are you stating that the TP2 will have a "headphones
jack" 3.5mm? Or were you going to TP2 1st and then upgrade
if and when the THD comes out?