PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

intel8052 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint android based phone Q1 09?

Hey y'all, new to the site (well I read around a bit over the past months and finally getting posting)

But I just got back from the sprint store where I had to get my contacts transfered from my old phone to my Titan again (computer crashed 2 days ago and lost all my outlook contacts on PC, phone crashed this morning before I got outlook set up again on PC.. go figure its just my luck).

Anyway, I decided to ask the tech/sales person at the store if there were any new Windows Mobile phones coming out in Q1 09. I read that people had contacted HTC or talked to a rep and got some info on the possibility of new phones coming out, so I thought I would give it a shot...

She didn't have any information on WM phones, but she mentioned that she had heard about an Android based phone being released sometime mid to late January.. She didnt seem to know much about technical sides of phones (she said it was called the android, aka didnt realize "android" was the OS until I told her).

Has anyone else heard anything about an Android based phone being released to sprint in early 2009? I hadn't read anything about it anywhere so it was kinda a suprise to me. She might have simply been wrong... figured it was worth asking here anyway.

-Scott
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Sprint android based phone Q1 09?

I would be cautiously optimistic about getting any information from a sales representative.. They usually know of new devices coming out at the last minute.. I haven't heard anything about that yet, but it would be interesting if Sprint did have a future Android-based phone considering that Dan Hesse, the CEO of Sprint, had some disparaging remarks about Android recently...
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

yeah.. i kinda doubt that its 100 percent true.. that would be waaay too soon considering what dan hesse said.. "android isnt good enough for sprint yet" basically he feels it needs a good deal of work before the put sprints brand on the software. and considering how january is right around the corner he would pretty much look like a hypocrit to the country. even if it were one in the works to come out, id doubt that they would release it so soon. plus we all know more than most how sprint is when it comes to releasing stuff on time anyway, but we'll see

samsung 640A --> motorola Q --> sprint touch --> now doin it big with the touch pro... oh so sexy lol
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02

I doubt it maybe late 2009 atleast

Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
yeah.. i kinda doubt that its 100 percent true.. that would be waaay too soon considering what dan hesse said.. "android isnt good enough for sprint yet" basically he feels it needs a good deal of work before the put sprints brand on the software. and considering how january is right around the corner he would pretty much look like a hypocrit to the country. even if it were one in the works to come out, id doubt that they would release it so soon. plus we all know more than most how sprint is when it comes to releasing stuff on time anyway, but we'll see
yeh but honestly how smart was it saying Sprint is too good for Android (a laugh in itself for a failing carrier), but considering google dumped millions into Sprint/Clearwire's WIMAX that was a pretty stupid comment to make
Old 12-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

im looking at sprint to release another watered down pos around late summer-early fall.
it seems to be a trend of theirs to release one good pda phone in an ocean of garbage flip phones and candybars ONCE a year.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Soon...HTC Magic G2
Carrier: T-Mobile

redrazr7791 is just getting started

Well, TORX pretty much summed it up right there. That is why i will probably sell my TOUCH PRO, order the HD and open up a plan with T-Mobile. It's a shame but after being a faithful customer for 5+ years, i just can't understand why....WHY they cannot bring some bad@ss phones around, while all the other companies are literally throwing out new phones everyday.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Can U pls read this to learn that sprint thinks that android is not good enough for them o carry. They are waiting for android to mature and draw more fans.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...-sprint-brand/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm curious about what carriers supposedly offer all of these "bad@ss phones". Certainly not Verizon and ATT doesn't have any better smartphones than Sprint with the exception of the iPhone exclusive. G1 is nice but I played with it and GPS sucks compared to my Titan and there is no real support for Exchange sync. I've always found Sprint to be relatively competitive with the devices they have out and by far the cheapest when it comes to data ($15 vs $30-45 per month for unlimited 3G on a smartphone). They definitely have their issues but they have been relatively good to the PPC crowd with their early launches of most of the HTC phones. Now I just want to see who picks up the new WinMo phones hinted at for the Spring!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
I'm curious about what carriers supposedly offer all of these "bad@ss phones". Certainly not Verizon and ATT doesn't have any better smartphones than Sprint with the exception of the iPhone exclusive. G1 is nice but I played with it and GPS sucks compared to my Titan and there is no real support for Exchange sync. I've always found Sprint to be relatively competitive with the devices they have out and by far the cheapest when it comes to data ($15 vs $30-45 per month for unlimited 3G on a smartphone). They definitely have their issues but they have been relatively good to the PPC crowd with their early launches of most of the HTC phones. Now I just want to see who picks up the new WinMo phones hinted at for the Spring!
well said and I totally agree

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives