PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon Open Development

http://www.verizonwireless-opendevel....com/index.php

I haven't heard a thing about this on here...but it seems like it could really affect us ppc users. If I understand it right, we would be able to buy any phone from any carrier and have it work with a verizon wireless account. It sounds like a damn good idea to me, and I am getting excited about the Alltel merger now...

What do people think about this?

Why wouldn't you want to switch to verizon since you could use any phone out there (unless verizon offers absolutely no service in your area- which, due to their mergers with Alltel and Unicel I see less and less possible)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Re: Verizon Open Development

thats RIDICULOUS they would lose so much money on phones, and sprint would sue because they jacked up their diamond so people would go to them. WRONG!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

well, any cdma device. you couldn't activate an iphone on verizon unless they r starting a gsm service as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

If you buy a device from another carrier, you'll likely end up paying full price, i.e. $500+, if you aren't activating it on that carrier.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
If you buy a device from another carrier, you'll likely end up paying full price, i.e. $500+, if you aren't activating it on that carrier.

very true... that would definitely be the biggest downside i see. (lets hope marketing depts really start pushing the mail-in rebates...)

and yeah the phone would have to obviosly be cdma until verizon changes up their network. but even still, this opens up such a wide variety of phones to choose from- clearly more than anyone on any other carrier (in the world?). cant be a bad thing...
Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

hurtem is a n00b

Companies usually don't profit from phones. If people buy phones on other carries they actually would save money. Now let's see if verizon plays nice when it comes to services working correctly.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work

I think the biggest benefit would be getting phones off Ebay or something like it and being able to get them on verizon.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: LG Touch
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

rhannahs19 is keeping up the good workrhannahs19 is keeping up the good workrhannahs19 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to rhannahs19

if this is the case i will just buy an unlocked touch pro and put it on the verizon network, that way i could get the better verison.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:06 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

i still think it is wrong just because verizons phones suck compared to sprints and sprint is losing people, so they said o we r gonna jack up our new pdas and now verizon customers could use them
Old 09-28-2008, 04:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint <--anything else would be uncivilized

PaydayJones is just getting started

Yes they can activate them, but from my experiance, Verizon will be charging them $175 to activate them. I gave my cousin my Samsung Blade, and that appears to be the going rate for activation. So the customers who want to do this are going to be the hardcores and not the casual users.

It's a great idea, but it's going to be stealing anyone's thunder (no pun in tended) any time soon.

Also, I am fairly sure Sprint offers something like this too....

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives