PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Nvidia's Tegra or Intel's atom/larrabee? what tickle's your pickle?
Nvidia 33 89.19%
Intel 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
PPC Graphics Chips-What's your future preference?

So apparently Nvidia and Intel are fighting it out. You got the underdog Nvidia, going against the Intel powerhouse as far as mobile graphics are concerned.

Nvidia says it's new chip, the tegra, will be the future
Intel says it's new chip, the larrabee/atom, will be the future

“Comparing Atom and Tegra is a little bit like comparing something with a V12, 1,000 horsepower [atom] to a hybrid [tegra].”

intel's betting on us wanting the high horses and hoping to somehow create a low-wattage form, whereas Nvidia is basing the chips on ARM in CUDA.

What's more appealing to you?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/03/n...egra-on-video/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/i...ybrid-cpu-gpu/

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: PPC Graphics Chips-What's your future preference?

nice topic.... imo newer devices are handling functions with much more ease, take the jump from mogul to touch for instance... so i guess i dont really care which future graphics chip they go with as long as it doesnt jack up the price of the device in the end.... at this point I'd take the tegra as I'm sure it will still be more than sufficient for any device it's mated to.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Nvidia all the way! Tegra is a computer system on a CPU size chip. Lot's of posibilities. Can't wait for tegra based device. does not matter if it's UMPC, MID or a PPC. I will get it. U see how tegra optimize Win CE? man oh man! I didn't think in a million years it will out perform the Iphone interface with CE. Love it.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Nvidia all the way! Tegra is a computer system on a CPU size chip. Lot's of posibilities. Can't wait for tegra based device. does not matter if it's UMPC, MID or a PPC. I will get it. U see how tegra optimize Win CE? man oh man! I didn't think in a million years it will out perform the Iphone interface with CE. Love it.
Yea. i wanna see what intel's chip can do though. The intel chip isn't supposed to be out for a while, but it's expected [by intel, of course] to really deliver on performance. I still would go the hybrid route, low energy consumption means longer batt life, and we all know the titan/vogue could use some of that!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
Yea. i wanna see what intel's chip can do though. The intel chip isn't supposed to be out for a while, but it's expected [by intel, of course] to really deliver on performance. I still would go the hybrid route, low energy consumption means longer batt life, and we all know the titan/vogue could use some of that!
I think larabee is a graphics technology that they will incorporate on laptops and desktops systems. So maybe, Handheld devices will not be it's main target. I read it should be competing with AMD's fusion. 1 more hooray for tegra is the ability to optimize power. 1/10 the consumption of a regular cpu. I don't think any existing CPU can beat that. Ur lucky to get 5 hrs of batery life with any other non tegra device.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

HAVe you seen the tegra in action? ive seen some videos on it akready and the 3d graphics are kixk *** and hard to beat. ive never been so impressed with a mobile device
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
╚════════════════╝

Some new video photage of the Iphone killer.
this shows the program called lamity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW4L4Lzv7lk
this one is the latest news on the device.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQa9nP4yyms

I only hope they keep that screen size. It looks like it's about 4" which is the smallest screen tegra says it should have. Making the display smaller than that on the video will defeat the purpose of having HD on the device. 1 question I have is the size of memory the device have. If U see the video, Everything in the carousel is an open program. Meaning it's running all the time. clicking the app will maximize it. over all, this device is F'n awesome. can't wait till mid 2009.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I guess this thread would serve a better purpose when more is known about intel's chip.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

what about ATI, do they have any plans?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post
what about ATI, do they have any plans?
Not that I know of.
May I derail the topic a little bit, I found out today that Iphone is capable of playing 1080p videos. Wow,I think that the processor is the key why iphone is ahead of the game. 620mhz while most phones,even PPC only have 400mhz when iphone came out. Diamond and the touch pro only has 528mhz.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives