PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Copyright laws changed for Cellphone Software Locks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=1277)

Wideawake 12-01-2006 12:05 AM

I don't remember who offers it but I don't think it was tmobile. Or maybe I'm even mistaken in saying that...but I think so.
~mike

wingzero 12-01-2006 08:52 AM

Well if it's a gsm phone than you could get it unlocked and use it with any gsm network. I always wish that sprint is on a gsm network so we could have multiple phones and switch them whenever we wanted to. I just got a hold of a Sony Ericsson P900i and thinking about getting a line with Tmobile.

budney 12-01-2006 10:12 AM

The Universal is not offered by any US provider. But like wingzero mentioned, just buy one unlocked from a dealer or eBay. I'm thinking of getting a Tytn (or other 3G phone) on one of the GSM providers once I move across the river.

jayroc80 12-01-2006 10:19 AM

Tmobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideawake
Great news indeed. I also would love to get my hands on the exec. myself. ;) I think you can get it in the states just can't remember who through...its steap tho and I can't seem to find anyone reasonable.

I think it is T-mobile that offers this phone in European and other overseas nations. I don't think this phone has been bastardized enough for standards lol...

Argh I get confused with the GMS and CDMA verbiage...I can only hope this phone would come as GMS, is there an advantage of the Universal/Exec only being on CDMA (not for the cell phone company per say, but technologically sakes).

SpeedDemon 12-01-2006 11:54 AM

GSM phones can be unlocked now for the last 6 years or so. So most don't even bother with locking them. Only Vodafone does this extensively on their phones. But not on all. My Treo came unlocked from Vodafone allthough it should have been locked. Vodafone just doesn't understand WM5.....

Is there no possibility to use GSM phones with Sprint? I know some guys are on Cingular with Vodafone GSM Treo 750......

Wideawake 12-01-2006 02:22 PM

yea but I don't like gsm simply to easy for someone t steal ur phone and use it, plus gsm providers in my area suc! I knew I could get one unlocked but I could have sworn you can get this phone in the states....I remember a company giving it to its employees, I thought. Might have been mistaken.....oh well still don't have that kind of money just laying around! :P
~mike

SpeedDemon 12-01-2006 05:12 PM

That is the best part about GSM in NL. I got my Treo for free with a subscription renewal! :D:D
Plus I can use other networks if I choose so. My phone is not stuck to one provider and that is the best thing I think.

budney 12-01-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideawake
yea but I don't like gsm simply to easy for someone t steal ur phone and use it, plus gsm providers in my area suc! I knew I could get one unlocked but I could have sworn you can get this phone in the states....I remember a company giving it to its employees, I thought. Might have been mistaken.....oh well still don't have that kind of money just laying around! :P
~mike

What makes a GSM phone earier to steal? :?

Wideawake 12-01-2006 11:06 PM

not easier to steal but more of a target I guess u could say as u can just slide in a sim card and boom u have a working phone (if its unlocked).
~mike

budney 12-01-2006 11:37 PM

It is actually much more secure and harder to clone or manipulate GSM SIM cards/service then CDMA phone/service.