PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM "Crossbow" Reviewed

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

Read full story HERE

"The manufacturers are getting RTM version of Windows Mobile Crossbow in November, 2006 ? in light of this fact we predict first devices running on WM 6.0 to be released by the end of 2Q, 2007."

The list of major changes introduced in Windows Mobile 6.0 for Pocket PC:

* Revamped outlook, refined icons;
* Totally re-mastered sound theme;
* Increased interface speed;
* Bundled IP-telephony (VoIP, SIP standard);
* Smart Dial 2.0, fast search through contacts, call history; removable on-screen virtual keyboard;
* Any tune can be assigned to any event;
* Support for shortcuts in Outlook Mobile;
* Full-fledged meetings arrangement system;
* Support for HTML in messages;
* Smart Filter ? handy and fast search through messages;
* Numerous MS Exchange 2007-tailored changes;
* Integration with Windows Live online-services;
* Marketplace ? purchase, download, and install directly from the device;
* Encryption ? bundled memory card encryption

Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch pro

wingzero is a n00b
Looks pretty cool. Any chances this will be on the next ppc-6800?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Thanks for posting Mal.

That article make me wonder how soon we will see more PPCs with VGA screens, with all the graphic changes in it?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero
Looks pretty cool. Any chances this will be on the next ppc-6800?
Hard to say.

If yes, you won't get a 6800 till June or July.

If however, the 6800 is "already testing" (though I have yet to hear any follow ups to this gossip) and if it is slated to be released in the next 2 or 3 months, then no way...you're talking AKU 3.2 tops. And knowing how conservative Sprint and HTC are with their long testing processes, I would bet only AKU 3.0 if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budney
That article make me wonder how soon we will see more PPCs with VGA screens, with all the graphic changes in it?
The VGA thing has more to do with cost vs. mass production. The main problem with VGAs is that they are expensive to produce and manufacture.

I don't see any mention that Crossbow will be anymore "VGA friendly" than regular WM5 but I think we'll see more VGA devices as costs come down yet still plenty of QVGAs. OTOH, the Smartphone version is supposed to go up in resolution (they were below 240 in some instances).
Old 11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

gershee is a n00b
!!

i want i want!!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
yea I seen some screenies awhile back....looks like its gonna be a nice os completely rebuilt?!? but I didn't like the scheme of the screenies I saw maybe just maybe they will stick with the blue I love so much
~mike

Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake
yea I seen some screenies awhile back....looks like its gonna be a nice os completely rebuilt?!?
~mike
Definitely not a completely rebuilt OS. More like AKU 4.0 with a face lift.

Photon in Q2 2008 is the big re-write with a new kernel and a flexible architecture, finally combining the smartphone and PPC platforms.

Some people have seen Photon already in it's rough stages but they all signed NDAs so nothing can be said outside it has some real nice features
Old 11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
Quote:
Originally Posted by budney
The VGA thing has more to do with cost vs. mass production. The main problem with VGAs is that they are expensive to produce and manufacture.

I don't see any mention that Crossbow will be anymore "VGA friendly" than regular WM5 but I think we'll see more VGA devices as costs come down yet still plenty of QVGAs. OTOH, the Smartphone version is supposed to go up in resolution (they were below 240 in some instances).
Very true about the price of VGA screens. And it would be silly to make a OS "QVGA friendly" right now. It's just with the new 3D icons and the new today bars, a VGA deice will give them more depth.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile NL --> KPN soon

SpeedDemon is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to SpeedDemon
I'm curious if we can get an update from MS for this. Normally you have to get an upgrade from the phone supplier. This looks to me like a nice update of the OS. I definately want it!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives